Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage - Page 10

post #136 of 4350
According to calyx... Is one microsd slot and they say there will be a 192gb card soon...

******** lol
post #137 of 4350
If I'm not mistaken they only have 1 SD slot. They claimed 192gig as they chose a 128 micro sd card which they said will be out soon.
I find that very misleading.
post #138 of 4350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanter View Post

I find that very misleading.

 

Any specifications for this thing are misleading until it stops being vapourware and starts being reality (in the marketplace, not just a designer's lab).

 

This thing looks really, really sweet, and Calyx do have an enviable reputation for their desktop products, but I won't believe it until I see it available for purchase.

 

 

...and it has not escaped my attention that the prototype images do not have any physical control buttons apparent, which is such a b1tch... that used to drive me insane on the DX100, that I had to pull it out of my pocket and activate the touchscreen every time I wanted to do anything with it. It's not just annoying - it's downright dangerous in some places, if you live in a rough area where mugging is a potential concern.

 

As much as it annoys me that Sony have made the NW-ZX1 so weak, in terms of power output, and that they've jealously refused to allow memory expansion, I will give them credit where credit's due, in the sense that they have properly addressed the ergonomics of their DAP, by including real, hardware, operation buttons, even though it's an Android device and not a proprietary firmware. That scores big points, in my book.

post #139 of 4350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

 

Any specifications for this thing are misleading until it stops being vapourware and starts being reality (in the marketplace, not just a designer's lab).

 

This thing looks really, really sweet, and Calyx do have an enviable reputation for their desktop products, but I won't believe it until I see it available for purchase.

 

 

...and it has not escaped my attention that the prototype images do not have any physical control buttons apparent, which is such a b1tch... that used to drive me insane on the DX100, that I had to pull it out of my pocket and activate the touchscreen every time I wanted to do anything with it. It's not just annoying - it's downright dangerous in some places, if you live in a rough area where mugging is a potential concern.

 

As much as it annoys me that Sony have made the NW-ZX1 so weak, in terms of power output, and that they've jealously refused to allow memory expansion, I will give them credit where credit's due, in the sense that they have properly addressed the ergonomics of their DAP, by including real, hardware, operation buttons, even though it's an Android device and not a proprietary firmware. That scores big points, in my book.


is the ZX1 that weak? whats the maximum that it can actually drive ? I am asking since I am interested in couple of daps like for example hm 802, zx1, and some other I am looking at right now was trying to find the dap that suits me best (having only one criteria "below 1000 usd")

post #140 of 4350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post
 


is the ZX1 that weak? whats the maximum that it can actually drive ? I am asking since I am interested in couple of daps like for example hm 802, zx1, and some other I am looking at right now was trying to find the dap that suits me best (having only one criteria "below 1000 usd")

 

No doubt some Head-fiers will get their pitchforks out and try to lynch me for suggesting that the NW-ZX1 doesn't have much grunt (particularly as I admit I haven't actually heard it yet), but what I mean is that Sony state it as being 15 + 15mw into 16 Ω  (http://www.sony.jp/walkman/products/NW-ZX1/spec.html)

 

My old Cowon J3 is rated at 29 + 29 mw into 16 Ω  (http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/COWONJ3/product_page_4.php) and I find it lacking in power sometimes (it also has a crappy high output impedance, which undermines it's synergy with many CIEMs).

 

Compare this with the Fiio X3, which is rated at 540 mw into 16 Ω  (http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?MenuID=105026016)  (not sure if that's 540 + 540 mw or 270 + 270 mw, but either way, you can see the enormous difference (at least in power specification, if not actual subjective audio performance)

 

 

The thing with the NW-ZX1 is that it has a very efficient Class-D amplifier stage, and early reports suggest the DAP has above average battery life for a high-end audiophile DAP.

 

Who knows - maybe the NW-ZX1's 15 + 15mw may magically punch above it's apparent weight, but I reserve the right to be cautious until I see some serious in-depth reviews and comparisons with other DAPs. Very early user impressions do appear to be reasonably promising and, as a potential purchaser, I am pleased about this.

 

Of course, mw output power is only one indicator of subjective audio performance. Output Impedance has a huge effect, too, as do various other technical parameters. I do appreciate that, so please don't anyone think I'm overlooking or ignoring that.

 

For the record, I think the NW-ZX1 is a truly beautiful piece of kit and if, by chance, it does turn out to perform really well, I definitely will consider buying it.

 

If Calyx come up with something better, I'll consider the Calyx, instead :wink_face:

 

Fiio's mid-priced audiophile DAP, the X5, is due out very soon, too...

 

 

.


Edited by Mython - 12/11/13 at 7:12pm
post #141 of 4350

Yeah, my choice suddenly expands alot ever since they went to create alot of daps into the market.

so my choice would be so far

the calyx

the fiio x5

the ak120 when it got cheaper

hm802

and the ZX1

 

so yeah , interested in the x5, hm802

post #142 of 4350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post
 

Yeah, my choice suddenly expands alot ever since they went to create alot of daps into the market.

so my choice would be so far

the calyx

the fiio x5

the ak120 when it got cheaper

hm802

and the ZX1

 

so yeah , interested in the x5, hm802

- I will consider the Calyx ONLY if it get some physical control (volume up/down, pause, skip).  100% Touch screen make no cense for a device that you put in your pocket !!

 

- I can't consider the Sony ZX1 with only 128 Gb non expandable.  Not enough space for my High-res collection

 

- Can't get used to the "stone age" UI of my AK100 !  So AK120 will be the same ! :-(


Edited by bmichels - 12/12/13 at 1:05am
post #143 of 4350
If you consider AK's UI stoneage it probably means you've never lived in the age or were too young during nokia smartphones or even nokia/motorola bricks?
post #144 of 4350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

- I will consider the Calyx ONLY if it get some physical control (volume up/down, pause, skip).  100% Touch screen make no cense for a device that you put in your pocket !!

 

- I can't consider the Sony ZX1 with only 128 Gb non expandable.  Not enough space for my High-res collection

 

- Can't get used to the "stone age" UI of my AK100 !  So AK120 will be the same ! :-(

 

wait another ten years probably??? :tongue:

 

actually none of them will have better GUI so Calyx is your only chance.

 

how is your JHA Roxanne?

post #145 of 4350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post
 

 

wait another ten years probably??? :tongue:

 

actually none of them will have better GUI so Calyx is your only chance.

 

how is your JHA Roxanne?

 

I got an answer on Calyx's facebook that there ARE some physical controls... ;-)  wait & see !

 

Re my Roxane, I still need to send my ear impressions

post #146 of 4350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

 

I got an answer on Calyx's facebook that there ARE some physical controls... ;-)  wait & see !

 

 

Yeah, but I didn't just mean the power button and the volume button(s)! :D

post #147 of 4350

Hope so !  We need at least :    " Volume up/down"  +   pause  +  skip.

 

otherwise this will be a perfect example of a great product stupidly ruined by a poor UI design.


Edited by bmichels - 12/13/13 at 8:21am
post #148 of 4350

If this DAP does not have   [Play/Pause]   +   [Skip FFW]   +   [Skip RW]   +   [Vol  + / - ]      buttons, then Calyx will be wasting their time and it won't make many sales.

post #149 of 4350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

If this DAP does not have   [Play/Pause]   +   [Skip FFW]   +   [Skip RW]   +   [Vol  + / - ]      buttons, then Calyx will be wasting their time and it won't make many sales.

+1000

post #150 of 4350
if this player will sound as good as ak120 and will offer better GUI than AK or iBasso then Calyx will make a LOT of money in hard green cash wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage