Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage - Page 86

post #1276 of 4272
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

do you mean you did not like the AK240's SQ ? 

 

No, I do like the AK240 SQ, although it sounded a little bright for my taste (no EQ active, BTW)

 

I was listening with LCD3s and MG6 Pros.

 

Nice spacious, and quite solid, sound, but it didn't convince me it was worth $2400+.       SQ-wise, I don't feel it's a game-changer.

 

Good, but not a game-changer.

 

I fully expect the Calyx-M to at least equal the AK240 SQ, but we'll just have to wait and see. Also, bear in mind that the Calyx team will have an AK240 to listen to, and they know they're competing with it, so they'll obviously have tuned the Calyx-M to compete well with it.

post #1277 of 4272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

Having heard the AK240 yesterday, I don't anticipate that the Calyx-M will have any problem at least matching its SQ.

Matching the balanced or HO?

post #1278 of 4272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

 

No, I do like the AK240 SQ, although it sounded a little bright for my taste (no EQ active, BTW)

 

I was listening with LCD3s and MG6 Pros.

 

Nice spacious, and quite solid, sound, but it didn't convince me it was worth $2400+.       SQ-wise, I don't feel it's a game-changer.

 

Good, but not a game-changer.

 

I fully expect the Calyx-M to at least equal the AK240 SQ, but we'll just have to wait and see. Also, bear in mind that the Calyx team will have an AK240 to listen to, and they know they're competing with it, so they'll obviously have tuned the Calyx-M to compete well with it.

Btw its 3200 at moon-audio... lol

post #1279 of 4272
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3r0day View Post
 

Btw its 3200 at moon-audio... lol

 

Yeah, isn't the pricing a not-funny joke? :rolleyes:

 

notice the '+' in my earlier price quote :wink_face:

post #1280 of 4272
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3r0day View Post
 

Matching the balanced or HO?

 

LCD3 was from balanced, MG6Pro from HO

post #1281 of 4272
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post
 

They haven't added anything on their facebook account for a few days now. So we are impatiently waiting for them to post the international promotion.

 

They just posted on Facebook:

 

This is going in production.

 

See you soon.

post #1282 of 4272

Oh, great.... I was already concerned about the original flush volume slider, but now it's proud of the chassis and they've decided to make the control buttons flush - that's crazy! The control buttons will now be difficult to feel correctly in your pocket, and the volume control is the most risky part of the design, already, in terms of user-safety, so why make it easier to accidentally move than any of the other controls?

 

I seriously think someone on the Calyx design team has a volume-slider fetish.

 

 

Bad design, guys.

 

 

 

This is a pocket device, not a desktop device.

 

 

The control buttons should be slightly proud of the chassis, for easy touch-identification, and that proud volume slider is going to put people's hearing and CIEMs at risk.

 

 

.


Edited by Mython - 2/22/14 at 3:24pm
post #1283 of 4272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

Oh, great.... I was already concerned about the original flush volume slider, but now it's proud of the chassis, but now they've decided to make the control buttons inset (not proud of the chassis) but the volume control IS proud of the chassis - that's crazy! The volume control is the most risky part of the design, already, in terms of user-safety, so why make it easier to accidentally move than any of the other controls?

 

I seriously think someone on the Calyx design team has a volume-slider fetish.

 

 

Bad design, guys.  This is a pocket device, not a desktop device.


completely agree, they need to fix that NOW

post #1284 of 4272

The volume slider (which I still strongly feel should not be a slider, because it is too easy to accidentally adjust) could, if it is to remain a slider, be made flush again with the chassis, but have a dimple in it, like on the dial of this rotary jog shuttle (I don't mean make it rotary):

 

 

That way, it remains easy to grip with a thumb, when desired, but without being unnecessarily proud.

post #1285 of 4272

Damn they made the play/rev/fwd buttons recessed, nuts. :frown:

Volume slider should have been recessed instead.

post #1286 of 4272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

Having heard the AK240 yesterday, I don't anticipate that the Calyx-M will have any problem at least matching its SQ.

 

The guys on the AK240 thread reckon it's SQ is fantastic.. A big step up from the other AK models. You seem underwhelmed. 

post #1287 of 4272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauntere View Post
 

 

The guys on the AK240 thread reckon it's SQ is fantastic.. A big step up from the other AK models. You seem underwhelmed. 

 

Oh, it's definitely good. Absolutely.

 

But it ain't '$2400+' good.

 

 

Remember, when  people have shelled-out over-the-odds prices, they will like to convince everyone (and most of all themselves) that it was worth every penny :wink: 


Edited by Mython - 2/22/14 at 6:35pm
post #1288 of 4272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

 

Yeah, isn't the pricing a not-funny joke? :rolleyes:

 

notice the '+' in my earlier price quote :wink_face:

 

 

Not funny indeed, at 3K I can get the Calyx M, an Audeze LCD-X, one 128GB SD card and one 64GB micro SD and still have a spare change which can buy hi res audio.

 

Now that is totally fun. 

post #1289 of 4272

They have moved to an oval slider which looks good - more substantial than the circle which I thought might rotate on its magnetic connection.

 

I see no issues with the flush buttons (not recessed that my eyes can see). They wont be accidentally pushed and with three in a row, I don't see any difficulty knowing which is which.

 

As for the volume slider, much discussed already, I say wait and see. It might just be perfect.

 

From what I see, I like the controls. Lone voice in the woods here.

post #1290 of 4272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauntere View Post

The guys on the AK240 thread reckon it's SQ is fantastic.. A big step up from the other AK models. You seem underwhelmed. 
Most people who compared it with 901 said it is more or less on par or sometimes not as good sq wise. Some prefer it but only slightly. So no game changer here IMO.

And IMO, the other AK models where nothing to write about...but I often get yelled at for saying that.
Edited by Mimouille - 2/22/14 at 7:26pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage