Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage - Page 9

post #121 of 4718

lets wait and see, knowing how well Calyx DAC is sounding i would be surprised if Calyx faults their DAP. not forget Calyx is high-end gear maker and knows very well what they doing. the only issue i can see is OS and GUI but... you know neither AK nor DX can beat Apple or Cowon in this... but i am sure no one here would suggest trading AK for iPod, right???

post #122 of 4718

Physical controls please.....not only touch screen UI......Physical controls please.....not only touch screen UI......Physical controls please.....Physical controls please.....Physical controls please.....

post #123 of 4718
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

Physical controls please.....not only touch screen UI......Physical controls please.....not only touch screen UI......Physical controls please.....Physical controls please.....Physical controls please.....

 

you can always buy AK120 :tongue:

post #124 of 4718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post
 

 

you can always buy AK120 :tongue:

Want a bigger screen, want full playlist support, want better Graphical UI...

post #125 of 4718
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

 

you can always buy AK120 tongue.gif
Want a bigger screen, want full playlist support, want better Graphical UI...
If the Sony NW-ZX1 lives up to its sonic expectations, that might fit your bill.
post #126 of 4718
Quote:
Originally Posted by the wizard of oz View Post


If the Sony NW-ZX1 lives up to its sonic expectations, that might fit your bill.

YEP.... but only 128 Gb MAX, NOT EXPANDABLE by MicroSD ! :mad:   Not enough for me !   Nothing is perfect !!!

post #127 of 4718
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wizard of oz View Post

If the Sony NW-ZX1 lives up to its sonic expectations, that might fit your bill.
YEP.... but only 128 Gb MAX, NOT EXPANDABLE by MicroSD ! mad.gif    Not enough for me!   Nothing is perfect!!!
True, especially with HD audio, 120GB fills up quickly; USB OTG is clunky, so µSD slots are vital.

Why hasn't any manufacturer got it right yet? It can't be so complicated!

What we want is a DAP with an OS as stable as an iPod, the internal memory and control buttons of the ZX1, the dual µSD slots and USB DAC funtion of the AK120, the true DSD support of the HDP-R10, the build quality and materials of the MZ-EH1 (brushed magnesium), the display of the Calyx M (according to its announced specs), a HO impedance around 1Ω, battery life while playing back high rez audio > 10hrs, and last but not least, ES9018 DAC and OPA627 amp with DX100 power . Oh, and I'd appreciate a 6.3mm HO, but that's not paramount.

BTW am I the only one that finds that on the ZX1 that brass ring around the 3.5mm HO is ridiculous and doesn't aesthetically justify the bulge in an otherwise rather streamlined design, and that a 6.3mm HO would have made it much more acceptable?
sony1_05.jpg
Edited by the wizard of oz - 12/4/13 at 5:41am
post #128 of 4718
Quote:
Originally Posted by the wizard of oz View Post


True, especially with HD audio, 120GB fills up quickly; USB OTG is clunky, so µSD slots are vital.

Why hasn't any manufacturer got it right yet? It can't be so complicated!

What we want is a DAP with an OS as stable as an iPod, the internal memory and control buttons of the ZX1, the dual µSD slots and USB DAC funtion of the AK120, the true DSD support of the HDP-R10, the build quality and materials of the MZ-EH1 (brushed magnesium), the display of the Calyx M (according to its announced specs), a HO impedance around 1Ω, battery life while playing back high rez audio > 10hrs, and last but not least, ES9018 DAC and OPA627 amp with DX100 power . Oh, and I'd appreciate a 6.3mm HO, but that's not paramount.
 
+1 
 

BTW am I the only one that finds that on the ZX1 that brass ring around the 3.5mm HO is ridiculous and doesn't aesthetically justify the bulge in an otherwise rather streamlined design, and that a 6.3mm HO would have made it much more acceptable?
 
 
+1
post #129 of 4718

The fatness is due to the capacitors and not the brass ring. The brass ring did not really add much to the size of the ZX1.

 

Below are two photos posted in this thread earlier:

 

 

 

DAP (digital portable player) are meant to be portable and I think Sony is spot on. The inclusion of a 6.3mm input jack will massively beef up the size, making it another DX100.

 

The output specs of the ZX1 also shows that it is not designed to drive full-size headphone. They have the PHA-2 for that purpose.

post #130 of 4718

too bad there is no MicroSD slots !!!!

post #131 of 4718
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post
 

The fatness is due to the capacitors and not the brass ring. The brass ring did not really add much to the size of the ZX1.

 

Below are two photos posted in this thread earlier:

 

 

 

DAP (digital portable player) are meant to be portable and I think Sony is spot on. The inclusion of a 6.3mm input jack will massively beef up the size, making it another DX100.

 

The output specs of the ZX1 also shows that it is not designed to drive full-size headphone. They have the PHA-2 for that purpose.

I think he meant the forward bulge but I find it rather inconsequential and if anything with help from the plug and socket seeing more stress. Makes it easy to plug in blind as well. I wonder what they're doing for high frequency roll at the output of the class D amp. Normally like to see some chokes there.

post #132 of 4718
Indeed, I meant the small convex bulge around the brass ring on the display side of the player, not that the player is thicker at the bottom half; that the ZX1 isn't a super-slim DAP I have no issues with; in fact, a Sony take on the DX100 would be awesome. I have no interest in another stack to lug around, I prefer a little all-in-one brick.
post #133 of 4718
Quote:
Originally Posted by the wizard of oz View Post

Indeed, I meant the small convex bulge around the brass ring on the display side of the player, not that the player is thicker at the bottom half; that the ZX1 isn't a super-slim DAP I have no issues with; in fact, a Sony take on the DX100 would be awesome. I have no interest in another stack to lug around, I prefer a little all-in-one brick.

As a previous owner of many daps (esp DX100), hope Sony nails it (as a complete package....guys there is no perfect dap , and I think we will never see one!) .

6 days till my ZX1 is with me , and then I will see.


Edited by turokrocks - 12/4/13 at 10:51pm
post #134 of 4718
Quote:
Originally Posted by turokrocks View Post
 

As a previous owner of many daps (esp DX100), hope Sony nails it (as a complete package....guys there is no perfect dap , and I think we will never see one!) .

6 days till my ZX1 is with me , and then I will see.

That's the epitome of subjective. And It appears someone has actually projected to make something closer to such is my case (hence why I'm here, among others since Sony insists on dropping the ball for the bitter h e l l of it :mad: )

 

A PMP worthy of the acronym.

post #135 of 4718
Shouldn't the thread title be changed to reflect more correctly the true memory capacity of this player : 64GB internal, + 2x 64GB µSD external = 192GB total, not 64 + 192?!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage