or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage - Page 73

post #1081 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

 

I don't think it's going to drive cans with much authority, so (unless you stack it with an external amp), it's going to be mostly for IEM/CIEM users. I trust the Calyx team to know more about implementing an ES9018 DAC chip (mobile or desktop variant) than iRiver, but it remains to be seen how the M amp section compares with that of the AK120/AK240.

 

 

 

OK, that slightly worries me, I don't want to start stacking stuff on the go otherwise I lose a chunk of the benefit over my DX100. I'll need to be confident it can power my cans without amping...

post #1082 of 5495
Even if the internal amp powers your cans or iem,s well. There is big improvements with stand alone amps. I learned that from my hibino . It is a great unit but in the end if you want the best sound possible you need to go separates .

Just my two cents.

Al
post #1083 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Even if the internal amp powers your cans or iem,s well. There is big improvements with stand alone amps. I learned that from my hibino . It is a great unit but in the end if you want the best sound possible you need to go separates .

Just my two cents.

Al

Agree entirely, but for my daily commute I accept some SQ compromise for the convenience of a single box. Myhton has a good track record on the M and if he is concerned about headphone performance I take it seriously.

 

The DX100 is pretty good with full size cans, I just want to know whether the M will be as good or better - I'll have to wait and see.

post #1084 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc-k View Post
 

Agree entirely, but for my daily commute I accept some SQ compromise for the convenience of a single box. Myhton has a good track record on the M and if he is concerned about headphone performance I take it seriously.

 

The DX100 is pretty good with full size cans, I just want to know whether the M will be as good or better - I'll have to wait and see.

 

You take full size cans on daily commute?

post #1085 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post
 

 

You take full size cans on daily commute?

Sig Pros, had to give up CIEMs for clinical reasons :triportsad:

post #1086 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc-k View Post

Agree entirely, but for my daily commute I accept some SQ compromise for the convenience of a single box. Myhton has a good track record on the M and if he is concerned about headphone performance I take it seriously.

The DX100 is pretty good with full size cans, I just want to know whether the M will be as good or better - I'll have to wait and see.

You may want to consider the Sennheser Momentum for portability and great sound synergy with most players. I have had great success to match them with all of my players and pretty sure they will go well with the M.
post #1087 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post


You may want to consider the Sennheser Momentum for portability and great sound synergy with most players. I have had great success to match them with all of my players and pretty sure they will go well with the M.

Th Sig Pros are surprisingly portable and very robust. They aren't too hard to drive and sound pretty good as well...

post #1088 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc-k View Post

Th Sig Pros are surprisingly portable and very robust. They aren't too hard to drive and sound pretty good as well...

Then I don't think you got anything to fear, I am pretty sure with the available power you'll be able to crank it to power your headphones unless you like it at ultra loud volume. wink.gif
post #1089 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post


Then I don't think you got anything to fear, I am pretty sure with the available power you'll be able to crank it to power your headphones unless you like it at ultra loud volume. wink.gif

that'll do nicely

post #1090 of 5495

I was disappointed by the Sigpro - and I wanted to absolutely love them. For me it's the Heaven VI on the go until I discover something better.

post #1091 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc-k View Post
 

Th Sig Pros are surprisingly portable and very robust. They aren't too hard to drive and sound pretty good as well...


SigPro is easy to drive, I believe M would have enough power for them.

 

What people are worried about is like high impedance cans or orthos I believe.

post #1092 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 


SigPro is easy to drive, I believe M would have enough power for them.

 

What people are worried about is like high impedance cans or orthos I believe.

OK, I can never quite remember the arithmetic,,,

post #1093 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc-k View Post
 

OK, I can never quite remember the arithmetic,,,


Well, to be honest, I don't think M will have higher power than DX100/R10 but you don't really need it on to go for portable cans/iems. DX100/R10 are power wise beating all other daps out there I think but then again with high level amps, you can even increase it.

 

The question is, how much power you need? Of course addition of good portable amp increases things but is it worth it on to go, in a lousy train or bus?

post #1094 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc-k View Post
 

 if he is concerned about headphone performance I take it seriously.

 

The DX100 is pretty good with full size cans, I just want to know whether the M will be as good or better - I'll have to wait and see.

 

 

Just to clarify - I didn't mean for anyone to runaway with what I said about the M's relative ability to drive cans. I just meant that, as a relatively slim single-box solution with a large screen and many goodies, the device is clearly aimed primarily at IEM/CIEM users - there's only just so much battery power to go around, so HO power has to be moderate. For cans that are relatively easy to drive, the M will probably do a nice job of driving them, but head-fi being what it is, there will probably be some folks desperately hoping they can drive their Senny HD800s without amping. I'm exaggerating a bit, obviously, but there are quite a lot of current-hungry, high-impedance cans that devices like the M are not likely to drive to their ideal performance. That's not a meant as a criticism of the M. Fiio's X5 would stand more of a chance of passing muster with cans, since it does not have a power-guzzling screen, etc., so more battery resources have been diverted towards HO power. But which is the nicer DAP?  :wink_face:

 

The DX100/HDP-R10 and HM-901 drive many cans surprisingly well, but you pay a heavy price for that ability, literally, with it's bulky dimensions and weight.

 

 

 

 

All features considered, I personally feel that the M represents the very nicest compromise I have ever, yet, seen in a high-end DAP.

 

I want one.

 

But I won't be throwing cans at it, unless they're easy-to-drive cans.

 

:beerchug:

post #1095 of 5495
Your view is correct. But since I have the amps already
I tried it. And it did increase the overall sq. so I am doing it but I used this for sober 1 1/2 years without it so
It still fine without. And I M on the trains about 2 hours or more a day traveling around NYC
So I do it.

Mython excellent I agree and well said

Al
Edited by ALRAINBOW - 2/14/14 at 8:30am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage