Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics - Page 124

post #1846 of 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post
 

Geek Pulse roadmap published http://lhlabs.com/updates/pulse-production-roadmap.html

 important part:  

Update 7/23/2014: Shipments are expected to begin on week 4 of August 2014. At the anticipated assembly rate, we will finish shipping by week 3 of October 2014. We will ship in order of first contributions received.

 

 

and with luck the Geek Pulse X will start shipping in October? :D

 

Just as I expected... I hope they manage to maintain this schedule, but at worst I'd like to receive my Pulse X /f /i before Christmas 2014. Fingers crossed... :)

 

Dale

post #1847 of 2185

On an encouraging note, the Geek Out 720 does a commendable job driving the HD 800. The soundstage is a little more closed compared to my desktop rigs but the SQ does not suffer at all, IMO. 

post #1848 of 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post

On an encouraging note, the Geek Out 720 does a commendable job driving the HD 800. The soundstage is a little more closed compared to my desktop rigs but the SQ does not suffer at all, IMO. 
What's your desktop rig?
I find the GO to sound similar to the Objective DAC/Objective 2 but with a more closed-in, but more rounded soundstage.
post #1849 of 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


What's your desktop rig?
I find the GO to sound similar to the Objective DAC/Objective 2 but with a more closed-in, but more rounded soundstage.

Macbook Air --> Schiit Bifrost Uber (Gungnir)--> BH Crack/Lyr/Zana Deux--> HD 800

post #1850 of 2185
Thread Starter 

FINAL OP-AMP CHOICE:

 

 

24 Jul 2014 23:35#28196

  •  
    Posts:1690Thank you received: 1949
  • Larry Ho's Avatar
  • Larry Ho
  • Moderator
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 70  
Hi, Everyone

Here is the final list of OpAmp we picked for "Upgrade perks".

Analog Output Stage (Bias into Class A)
* AD827 in Geek Pulse and Geek Pulse S
* LME49990 in Geek Pulse X

Current to Voltage Conversion
* OPA1612

Also, we decide to upgrade the amp of DC Servo too....
LM4562, it is.

Enjoy!

Larry
 
post #1851 of 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-i-c-k-e-y View Post
 

FINAL OP-AMP CHOICE:

 

 

24 Jul 2014 23:35#28196

  •  
    Posts:1690Thank you received: 1949
  • Larry Ho's Avatar
  • Larry Ho
  • Moderator
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 70  
Hi, Everyone

Here is the final list of OpAmp we picked for "Upgrade perks".

Analog Output Stage (Bias into Class A)
* AD827 in Geek Pulse and Geek Pulse S
* LME49990 in Geek Pulse X

Current to Voltage Conversion
* OPA1612

Also, we decide to upgrade the amp of DC Servo too....
LM4562, it is.

Enjoy!

Larry
 

 

Looks like a good choice!

Even better if the Op-Amp is user replaceable, with Op-Amp socket :normal_smile :

post #1852 of 2185
Thread Starter 

Nope, we suggested that last year. 

 

LH declined for better SQ.

post #1853 of 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-i-c-k-e-y View Post
 

Nope, we suggested that last year. 

 

LH declined for better SQ.


I wish Larry would reconsider.  This product could alleviate his concern regarding quality of the connection at the contact points.  Yes, the owner would need to apply but it should provide the advantage of a soldered joint.

 

Posthorn Stabilant 22

One point is of critical importance: Stabilant 22 is not “just another contact cleaner.” It is an initially non-conductive long-chain organic block polymer that switches to a conductive state only when used in a thin film within the interstices of a contact pair. It remains non-conductive on the insulating surface between adjacent contacts. Thus, by remaining resident within the contacts, it improves connector reliability within a contact set without causing signal leakage problems between adjacent contacts.

Its advantage lies not in making new contacts better, but in keeping contacts operating as if they were new, while making old contacts function perfectly despite the ravages of time and adverse environments. In simple terms, Stabilant 22 provides the reliability of a soldered joint without producing a mechanical bond. It also exhibits excellent lubricating properties, but does not creep; it is exceptionally stable, and has a very low vapor pressure. Its continued regular use will enhance contact reliability for many years.


Edited by germay0653 - 7/25/14 at 7:25am
post #1854 of 2185
 
Gery Mayes wrote:
Junker wrote:
Totally! Suggested this to Larry too. He could see field upgrades to custom the sound and to just play around with different flavors. ;)

YK wrote:
I suggest to include opamp sockets for opamp rolling.

This was the owner can tweak it according to his taste and system setup.
This flexibility may be one of the selling points of the pulse.

With the many varied system out there, it is impossible for Larry to cater to all. With opamp rolling
capability, we will have system matching and synergy made easier.



If, and this is a BIG if, Larry were amenable to the rolling, the end user could incorporate this product to ensure the contacts act as a solder joint. I use the following on some of my interconnects (RCA's, BNC's and XLR's) and it seems to perform as advertized.

Posthorn Stabilant 22

While I too have used Stabilant 22 (and other similar 'contact restorers', I would much rather see the op-amps soldered onto the PCB. It's entirely possible to do op-amp rolling with a soldered PCB, you just have to be very careful and skilled in the art of SMD rework. I agree that won't apply to all users, but the number of users that will roll op-amps is to my opinion quite limited.

I'm very pleased with Larry's choices for the final upgraded op-amps in the various portions of the circuit. I'm hoping that the LM4562 in the DC Servo circuit adds just a bit of musicality and warmth to the transparency of the LM49990 in the final output stage. But regardless, given what Larry has decided on is what I plan to live with. If I truly find the combination not to my liking, I'll have to decide if I want to do some SMD rework and roll away.

Dale
 
Geek Pulse X /f /i + Geek Blue + LPS4, 2 Lightspeed Jr 1G, 1 split Lightspeed Jr 2G, 1 Lightspeed SPDIF and a set of Lightspeed AES/EBU cables. And from the Wave campaign - a Geek Wave XD 128+DAD+THD+IEM+ZJW+ZJB+CF1W+ Geek Station X + Lightspeed 1G micro + Source 4TB w/Plus+Femto
 
post #1855 of 2185
I think another reason some ppl wanted nonsocketed opamps was that it expanded Larry's choices because some opamps were solder type only.
post #1856 of 2185

Do you guys think this would work as a poor man's linear power supply for the pulse?  or waste of time?  It says it does 12v 1.25 amps.. the transformer is only 7.5va though.. the real lps has a 30va one and is 12v 800ma.  also not sure what size power tip the pulse will need

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hifi-linear-power-DC-1-USB-amp-DAC-external-power-supply-digital-display-SN-/191265584682?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item2c8851362a

 

the real LPS specs are:

110V/120V or 220V/240V 50/60 Hz AC input.
12V DC, 800mA output (uses the notoriously good power supply technology inside Da Vinci DAC)
5V DC, 500mA output in front panel via USB-A connector (Can be used with Geek Out via split USB cable to reduce power noise from computer.)
47,000uF Reservoir Capacitor (4700uF * 10) with zero switching off noise Schottky diode
30VA High Quality Noise Shielded Transformer

post #1857 of 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post
 

Do you guys think this would work as a poor man's linear power supply for the pulse?  or waste of time?  It says it does 12v 1.25 amps.. the transformer is only 7.5va though.. the real lps has a 30va one and is 12v 800ma.  also not sure what size power tip the pulse will need

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hifi-linear-power-DC-1-USB-amp-DAC-external-power-supply-digital-display-SN-/191265584682?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item2c8851362a

 

the real LPS specs are:

110V/120V or 220V/240V 50/60 Hz AC input.
12V DC, 800mA output (uses the notoriously good power supply technology inside Da Vinci DAC)
5V DC, 500mA output in front panel via USB-A connector (Can be used with Geek Out via split USB cable to reduce power noise from computer.)
47,000uF Reservoir Capacitor (4700uF * 10) with zero switching off noise Schottky diode
30VA High Quality Noise Shielded Transformer


It would appear to be compatible, though no way to tell if it would deliver high quality/low noise performance. A relatively small gamble at $55.

 

I believe their DC plug size is correct at 5.5 x 2.1mm, but you should double check that on the LH Labs forum.

post #1858 of 2185

geek pulse showed up on instagram this week, maybe a prototype

 

post #1859 of 2185

Less than a month before the first units ship!  Surprised there's not more activity here.  I guess we all have anticipation fatigue.  You can only maintain a level of excitement and optimism for so long.  Since today is the very last day you can change your survey entries, I encourage you all to double check your choices and add any notes at the end.  Here's the url http://pulsesurvey.lhlabs.com/

I start my new job tomorrow which means I'll finally have money for hifi stuff again!  I decided to add the femto upgrade to my geek pulse x, since it's a backer only upgrade and this way my geek pulse x will be different from everyone else who buys one after the campaign.  

post #1860 of 2185

Fun stuff!  There doesn't seem to be the flurry of activity I'd anticipated over in the lhlabs forums, either.  I have a Pulse X /f /a with LPS.  I'm thinking of upgrading my LPS to an LPS/4, but not sure if it's worth it at this point and what realistically I would invest in elsewhere in the "Geek" ecosystem.  The Source looks promising, but I'm not so sure I care about having a super-duper power supply hooked up to that if I use the USB connection to the DAC. At that point, I'd be hitting diminishing marginal returns.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics