Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics - Page 118

post #1756 of 2186
LH Labs should pull up their socks before creating more crowdsource projects.
post #1757 of 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by smial1966 View Post
 

I agree. I'm skipping the Source for a variety of reasons both financial and for the points you've brought up. For what it's worth for anyone considering the project, Larry Ho has stated that the Source layout and enclosure was actually done before the Geek Out was conceived because it's based on the design of their higher end LH products. Larry optimistically predicts March 2015 delivery of the Source. Here's Larry's post:

 

The ship date actually will be more accurate than Geek Wave :P
Because we have the design/module even earlier than Geek Out.
Currently our team set it at 2015 March.

post #1758 of 2186
These are all vaporware. even if it's $200 cheaper. (i.e $599 ). I would not be paying for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalzed View Post

I agree. I'm skipping the Source for a variety of reasons both financial and for the points you've brought up. For what it's worth for anyone considering the project, Larry Ho has stated that the Source layout and enclosure was actually done before the Geek Out was conceived because it's based on the design of their higher end LH products. Larry optimistically predicts March 2015 delivery of the Source. Here's Larry's post:

The ship date actually will be more accurate than Geek Wave :P

Because we have the design/module even earlier than Geek Out.
Currently our team set it at 2015 March.
post #1759 of 2186

Anyone know what gold contact relays do?  I tried googling and found one reference on the T+A dac page saying it's used to bypass the volume control without signal loss.. so maybe it's for higher quality line level out on the rca and xlr out ports?  It sounds good to have

 

http://www.taelektroakustik.de/index.php?id=350&L=1

 

edit:  confirmed they are "It's gold plated silver alloy contact points, to be exact. From Omron." which will be used to adjust headphone out gain with no signal loss


Edited by uncola - 7/2/14 at 12:33am
post #1760 of 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post
 

Anyone know what gold contact relays do?  I tried googling and found one reference on the T+A dac page saying it's used to bypass the volume control without signal loss.. so maybe it's for higher quality line level out on the rca and xlr out ports?  It sounds good to have

 

http://www.taelektroakustik.de/index.php?id=350&L=1

 

edit:  confirmed they are "It's gold plated silver alloy contact points, to be exact. From Omron." which will be used to adjust headphone out gain with no signal loss


Gold doesn't oxidize so the contacts don't degrade over time and better contact means less noise over the long haul. Oxidation causes degredation of signal between the two contact points.

post #1761 of 2186
Thread Starter 

Geek LPS4 EP2

 


Edited by m-i-c-k-e-y - 7/2/14 at 1:09pm
post #1762 of 2186

Is the gold contact relay replacing the mu-metal shielding? or is it in addition to?

post #1763 of 2186
Thread Starter 

"Seems" a replacement. And costlier.

 

But I trust LH's judgement.

 

Thanks Larry!


Edited by m-i-c-k-e-y - 7/2/14 at 1:43pm
post #1764 of 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpoor View Post
 

Is the gold contact relay replacing the mu-metal shielding? or is it in addition to?


I believe it's in addtion to.  Amplifier gain relays have no relation to mu-metal shielding for femto clocks.

post #1765 of 2186

They posted some pics of the front panels, the beveling on the sides looks a little rough so I think these are just prototypes/samples.  Metal looks nice and thick and I like that it's mostly silver, I voted for the light color :)

 

 

edit:  This is going to be the nicest dac I've owned so I'm pretty excited.  Originally I thought it was going to be on the level of the audio-gd 11.32 and 15.32 dac/amps but it seems way higher end now.. mu-metal shielding of txco clocks, gold plated silver alloy contact point relays for the gain switching.. I only hope the mu-metal was sourced ethically.  Think about the cows.


Edited by uncola - 7/3/14 at 3:52am
post #1766 of 2186

Link? :)

post #1767 of 2186
post #1768 of 2186

Thanks!

 

Let us see the final result... :)

post #1769 of 2186
post #1770 of 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsu View Post
 

Geek LPS4... :)

 

http://geek.lhlabs.com/force/progressreports-lps/1589-july-2-update.html#24745

 

 

Bitchin'!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics