Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics - Page 102

post #1516 of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


That may be true, but I still feel that people will be seriously disappointed.

 

Who will be disappointed? The average customer that failed to pull the trigger on IGG?

 

At the end of the day, the proof will be in it's performance! If it performs better than other $1,000 DACs then why would anyone be disappointed?

post #1517 of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick v View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

That may be true, but I still feel that people will be seriously disappointed.

Who will be disappointed? The average customer that failed to pull the trigger on IGG?

At the end of the day, the proof will be in it's performance! If it performs better than other $1,000 DACs then why would anyone be disappointed?
Had I not backed the Pulse on Indiegogo, yeah I would be pretty disappointed, as would anyone else who didn't back it. If a manufacturer is going to say something is $500 MSRP, the customers expect it to be that price, not twice or thrice the price. If Apple says their next generation Mac Pro's pricing starts at $2999, I expect it to be that price, not $5998. I don't care if it performs better than $10,000, if I expected it to cost $3000, I likely planned my budget around that value. Simple as that. If people were planning for the Pulse to be $500 like it was originally intended to be, people aren't going to buy it if their budget won't allow for it when it's twice the price. Not everyone is made of money.
Edited by miceblue - 4/9/14 at 4:46pm
post #1518 of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Had I not backed the Pulse on Indiegogo, yeah I would be pretty disappointed, as would anyone else who didn't back it. If a manufacturer is going to say something is $500 MSRP, the customers expect it to be that price, not twice or thrice the price. If Apple says their next generation Mac Pro's pricing starts at $2999, I expect it to be that price, not $5998. I don't care if it performs better than $10,000, if I expected it to cost $3000, I likely planned my budget around that value. Simple as that. If people were planning for the Pulse to be $500 like it was originally intended to be, people aren't going to buy it if their budget won't allow for it when it's twice the price. Not everyone is made of money.
Prbly one of the dumbest things I've read in awhile.
post #1519 of 2013
Quote:
Had I not backed the Pulse on Indiegogo, yeah I would be pretty disappointed, as would anyone else who didn't back it. If a manufacturer is going to say something is $500 MSRP, the customers expect it to be that price, not twice or thrice the price. If Apple says their next generation Mac Pro's pricing starts at $2999, I expect it to be that price, not $5998. I don't care if it performs better than $10,000, if I expected it to cost $3000, I likely planned my budget around that value. Simple as that. If people were planning for the Pulse to be $500 like it was originally intended to be, people aren't going to buy it if their budget won't allow for it when it's twice the price. Not everyone is made of money.

 

Dude, you get disappointed way too easy. :-)  If you get disappointed about a promised price for a product that does not exist yet, I can only imagine how you feel when a manufacturer actually raises the price of an existing product.

post #1520 of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Had I not backed the Pulse on Indiegogo, yeah I would be pretty disappointed, as would anyone else who didn't back it. If a manufacturer is going to say something is $500 MSRP, the customers expect it to be that price, not twice or thrice the price. If Apple says their next generation Mac Pro's pricing starts at $2999, I expect it to be that price, not $5998. I don't care if it performs better than $10,000, if I expected it to cost $3000, I likely planned my budget around that value. Simple as that. If people were planning for the Pulse to be $500 like it was originally intended to be, people aren't going to buy it if their budget won't allow for it when it's twice the price. Not everyone is made of money.
Prbly one of the dumbest things I've read in awhile.
I didn't think something called a budget was such a hard concept to understand. Apparently I was wrong. XD

Maybe people nowadays don't use those foreign concepts.
Edited by miceblue - 4/9/14 at 5:41pm
post #1521 of 2013
Thread Starter 
Sorry, a bit of OT. Let me get this.

You will be contended on a $4k sounding DAC costing $300 priced at $3k than
A $4k sounding DAC costing $300 originally priced at $500 now upped at $1k.
Because the former marketed and asked you to pay at that fixed price,
while the later, 'doubled' it's price.
Edited by m-i-c-k-e-y - 4/9/14 at 11:12pm
post #1522 of 2013
Miceblue,
You failed to account for the evolvement of the original concept of the Pulse when it was envisaged originally at $499. Now it has evolved to include a free but high end USB cable, multiple extra inputs & outputs, upgraded passive components, remote capability, upgraded Elna caps, etc. We as backers got rewarded for these as perks but these upgrades cost money and it's only fair that retail purchasers bear the cost of this extra benefit. Why would they get perks for free that backers were responsible for? Seems fair to me. Don't know why you're belly aching. You were also the one who took offense to LH putting out measurements of the competition.
post #1523 of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-i-c-k-e-y View Post

Sorry, a bit of OT. Let me get this.

You will be contended on a $4k sounding DAC costing $300 priced at $3k than
A $4k sounding DAC costing $300 originally priced at $500 now upped at $1k.
Because the former marketed and asked you to pay at that fixed price,
while the later, 'doubled' it's price.

 

 IDK... a $1k dac beating a $3k or $4k dac... sounds more like pure marketing to me...  

post #1524 of 2013
Thread Starter 

Well that's what they say. 

We've got initially all high praises right now regarding SQ with early receivers of Geek Out.

We'll see. 

post #1525 of 2013

Well, I have a friend who plans to make some cash by selling his $299 Geek at $899.

 

Will the ~$1,000 RETAIL version be distinguishable from the initial test batches that people backed for $299?

Packaging? Accessories? Markings? Etc...

post #1526 of 2013

The $300 was only in the beginning. The perks changed with time:

 

Geek Pulse as a Geek Out backer and shipping: $239

Instant $1M update: $88

femto clock: $119

Geek S upgrade: $120

Slacker Mini: $10

 

Together: $576

 

Way over MSRP, so yea, expect a totally upgraded Geek Pulse S to be more them $499

post #1527 of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaTou069 View Post
 

The $300 was only in the beginning. The perks changed with time:

 

Geek Pulse as a Geek Out backer and shipping: $239

Instant $1M update: $88

femto clock: $119

Geek S upgrade: $120

Slacker Mini: $10

 

Together: $576

 

Way over MSRP, so yea, expect a totally upgraded Geek Pulse S to be more them $499

The $499 MSRP was for the standard Pulse without upgrades. 

post #1528 of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimbolic View Post

Will the ~$1,000 RETAIL version be distinguishable from the initial test batches that people backed for $299?


Packaging? Accessories? Markings? Etc...

 



That would be nice, but we'll have to wait and see. I personally would love it if the backer versions had one component that will never be in a Pulse again, like the Silver gain relay array that Larry mentioned a while back or something. It's wishful thinking but we can dream can't we?



@Miceblue: I know you ordered an almost maxed out Pulse, you are proof of what the device is "worth" and what the market can bear. About $1,000. Now if we had the device pictured on the first page of this thread with no indicators, knobs, or buttons, and a minimum of inputs and outputs, then I would think you would be less willing to pay $1,000 for it. The reality is we are getting a product that is a far cry from the initial prototype.

This is weird for a crowd-funded device though. You can see the "hobbyist" nature of LH in that they were so receptive to adding and tweaking things. This feels more to me like a crowd hobby product than a mass-produced device like you would normally expect. I have enjoyed the whole process myself, even if my wallet is mad at me smily_headphones1.gif
post #1529 of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinarc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimbolic View Post

Will the ~$1,000 RETAIL version be distinguishable from the initial test batches that people backed for $299?


Packaging? Accessories? Markings? Etc...

 



That would be nice, but we'll have to wait and see. I personally would love it if the backer versions had one component that will never be in a Pulse again, like the Silver gain relay array that Larry mentioned a while back or something. It's wishful thinking but we can dream can't we?



@Miceblue: I know you ordered an almost maxed out Pulse, you are proof of what the device is "worth" and what the market can bear. About $1,000. Now if we had the device pictured on the first page of this thread with no indicators, knobs, or buttons, and a minimum of inputs and outputs, then I would think you would be less willing to pay $1,000 for it. The reality is we are getting a product that is a far cry from the initial prototype.

This is weird for a crowd-funded device though. You can see the "hobbyist" nature of LH in that they were so receptive to adding and tweaking things. This feels more to me like a crowd hobby product than a mass-produced device like you would normally expect. I have enjoyed the whole process myself, even if my wallet is mad at me smily_headphones1.gif
Yes, but 1) I ordered upgrades to make it $1000, the default Pulse was set to launch at $500; I would certainly not pay $1000 for any single device, 2) no one here knows what the Pulse sounds like except for Larry, so no one can accurately say "oh yes, of course it'll be worth $1000;" you all are just making wild assumptions that the stock unit's 100% price increase is somehow justified.
post #1530 of 2013
It (the price of a optioned-out version) is justified by you paying that much. We all justified it, even with no one hearing it. Did someone say the base Pulse would be $1,000? I read the earlier remark as being for the upgraded uber models most people seem to have bought. If I read that wrong and they meant the Base model is now $1k.... well that seems a little steep to me too.

It would be interesting to know how many people bought only 1 base model Pulse in the campaign, I wouln't be surprised that it's a small number, most people that I saw mention getting a base model were getting it as a 2nd unit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics