Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics - Page 99

post #1471 of 1990

I agree. It doesn't impact me personally to have it removed, but I know some people were really looking forward to using the SPDIF out. The issue I forsee is from the people who don't visit the forums or don't look at all of the threads and won't find out about it until much later.

post #1472 of 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post

I agree. It doesn't impact me personally to have it removed, but I know some people were really looking forward to using the SPDIF out. The issue I forsee is from the people who don't visit the forums or don't look at all of the threads and won't find out about it until much later.
I was just thinking that Gavin should post an update on the Indiegogo campaigns. It's kind of a big deal to exclude something that was going to be included as part of the stretch goals.
post #1473 of 1990
Thread Starter 

It was just today Larry posted in the Geek forums for asking suggestions in lieu of the Spdif.

 

Think its to early for an IGG update?

post #1474 of 1990

LHLabs could do a simple update over at IGG with a link to a survey. The results should be pretty clear, what the backers want.

I for myself don't need the SPDIF out, but I know many liked it and it was a stretch goal.

post #1475 of 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaximandros View Post
 

LHLabs could do a simple update over at IGG with a link to a survey. The results should be pretty clear, what the backers want.

I for myself don't need the SPDIF out, but I know many liked it and it was a stretch goal.

 

This is a good idea. 

 

I will let the forum run for few days. Pick few smart ideas then let everybody vote. 

 

But one thing I want to emphasize here: I want to get rid of that SPDIF output because I want this DAC to have $3000+ level of performance. So every digital lines should have tight impedance control and minimize the length and potential jitter add-on there. 

 

Actually, one lazy little dark evil in my heart saying... Larry, put SPDIF output back. Your life will be easier... blah blah blah... I try very hard to ignore it. ;-)

post #1476 of 1990

I think that's a good call. I'm all for leaving SPDIF out if it has even a miniscule effect on performance.

post #1477 of 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong View Post
 

I think that's a good call. I'm all for leaving SPDIF out if it has even a miniscule effect on performance.

 

Me too.

post #1478 of 1990

Larry,

 

As one of the 1500ers, I've already posted on the "force" and like everyone else, I'm all for the sound quality so I say can the spdif out go all out to achieve the $3k+ level of performance that we all look forward to.  In addition to driving my HD650's, I'll also be using the XLR outputs to drive a couple of amps so I hope you can optimize the analog line outs.

 

Cheers!

post #1479 of 1990

Good riddance SPDIF out! ;)

post #1480 of 1990

I see no use for  SPDIF out myself, and it uglifies the appearance. If it in any way compromises sound it should go.

post #1481 of 1990

I also do not need any SPDIF out, especially if introduces jitter.

post #1482 of 1990

so those who wanted the SPDIF out, how would it be used? to feed another DAC in the living room? computer desk? i guess my view on the geek pulse is that the DAC portion of the pulse will probably be kicka$$ since that's their specialty...if anything, i worry about the amp section. i would want good balanced outputs so that if the amp section leaves me wanting, i could mate it to a better amp. but i don't see the need for a SPDIF out, really. but i'm sure there are reasons for it and i'm sure people will tell me i'm wrong. won't be the first time.

post #1483 of 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 

so those who wanted the SPDIF out, how would it be used? to feed another DAC in the living room? computer desk? i guess my view on the geek pulse is that the DAC portion of the pulse will probably be kicka$$ since that's their specialty...if anything, i worry about the amp section. i would want good balanced outputs so that if the amp section leaves me wanting, i could mate it to a better amp. but i don't see the need for a SPDIF out, really. but i'm sure there are reasons for it and i'm sure people will tell me i'm wrong. won't be the first time.

No, you're right! ;p

post #1484 of 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 

so those who wanted the SPDIF out, how would it be used? to feed another DAC in the living room? computer desk? i guess my view on the geek pulse is that the DAC portion of the pulse will probably be kicka$$ since that's their specialty...if anything, i worry about the amp section. i would want good balanced outputs so that if the amp section leaves me wanting, i could mate it to a better amp. but i don't see the need for a SPDIF out, really. but i'm sure there are reasons for it and i'm sure people will tell me i'm wrong. won't be the first time.

 

My suggestion, and I hope this makes the voting that should be coming shortly, was for more power output. I'd love to see them double the output. Then we'd be getting 3W @ 32Ω which is a great plate to be. Sure it still won't be as powerful as something like the Mjolnir, but in the size bracket they're targeting the Pulse, I don't really see something as powerful as the Mjolnir working it's way in while maintaining audio integrity.

post #1485 of 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian0115 View Post
 

Larry,

 

As one of the 1500ers, I've already posted on the "force" and like everyone else, I'm all for the sound quality so I say can the spdif out go all out to achieve the $3k+ level of performance that we all look forward to.  In addition to driving my HD650's, I'll also be using the XLR outputs to drive a couple of amps so I hope you can optimize the analog line outs.

 

Cheers!

 

XLR analog output? You got it... The new output amp combo I tested sound so good.  JFET + Bipolar seems gave us the best results....

 

We test the Geek Pulse with $350,000+ equipments including Wilson, Vitus, Pass, Ayre, MIT, Cardas and tons of goodies... I really enjoy the process.

 

Larry

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics