Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics - Page 85

post #1261 of 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post


i am one of the "300", i guess that's something

 

I'm not entirely sure what the 300 are aside from 300 people on the Geek Force. :p All I know is that I am not one.

post #1262 of 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

 

I'm not entirely sure what the 300 are aside from 300 people on the Geek Force. :p All I know is that I am not one.


i think it's the first 300 to post on lhlabs, i didn't even know about it, and it said somewhere if you can see this, you are one

i could see it

post #1263 of 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


i think it's the first 300 to post on lhlabs, i didn't even know about it, and it said somewhere if you can see this, you are one

i could see it


You're correct about the 300.  It was members that were the first 300 to create/post a topic on the forum.  I'm a member of both and the most info I have regarding the "item" for being member of the $1500 club is a "laser sintered thing" whatever that is.

post #1264 of 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by germay0653 View Post


You're correct about the 300.  It was members that were the first 300 to create/post a topic on the forum.  I'm a member of both and the most info I have regarding the "item" for being member of the $1500 club is a "laser sintered thing" whatever that is.

 

Well that sounds interesting at least. Hopefully they get mine updated soon since I've paid my whole pledge now and total over $1500. Didn't want LH to deal with a second helping of paypal fees next month.

post #1265 of 2005

I am quite looking forward how the big fully extended unit will measure up against e.g. the Yulong SABRE DA8 or some other SABRE-DACs! Anybody any news regarding the amp section?

post #1266 of 2005

without question the Femto clock is better ,just look up a Femto second  vs Pico seconds . this more accuarate the signal

the more information, as well as less jitter-digital noise.how much is the upgrade $150?  the prices have come way down 3 years ago this clock would cost $3,000 before installation. MSB they should spellit back wards BS for they Machine a Big red cover for the Gallaxy clock it is only 5 Femto seconds less and want like $5,000 so what a separate bigger power supply maybe $500 in total parts X 10 markup.

This is extreme I am making a point .for $150 or les go for it is a state of the art upgrade.

post #1267 of 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas21 View Post
 

without question the Femto clock is better ,just look up a Femto second  vs Pico seconds . this more accuarate the signal

the more information, as well as less jitter-digital noise.how much is the upgrade $150?  the prices have come way down 3 years ago this clock would cost $3,000 before installation. MSB they should spellit back wards BS for they Machine a Big red cover for the Gallaxy clock it is only 5 Femto seconds less and want like $5,000 so what a separate bigger power supply maybe $500 in total parts X 10 markup.

This is extreme I am making a point .for $150 or les go for it is a state of the art upgrade.

Technically, sure, but does it make an audible difference? Hell I'd even love to see good evidence of a measurable difference.

post #1268 of 2005

Here's a decent video that goes into a little detail about how jitter impacts the sound, and why a high grade clock is important.

 

 

post #1269 of 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

Here's a decent video that goes into a little detail about how jitter impacts the sound, and why a high grade clock is important.

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclaz View Post
 

Technically, sure, but does it make an audible difference? Hell I'd even love to see good evidence of a measurable difference.

 

i did not opt for the femto upgrade. like dclaz, i understand that technically, a femto clock is "better" than a clock that ranges in the pico range. however, i am dubious that anyone can hear the difference between a well-designed DAC that utilizes a femto clock vs. a well-designed DAC that uses a clock that "only" registers in the pico range. i believe that the standard clock employed in the geek pulse is more than adequate. i understand that there are people who want to have the best of everything so as to maximize the potential of their system, and i have no problem with that. but i remain dubious that 99.9% of people can hear the difference between the clocks in question.

post #1270 of 2005

It's an interesting conversation. You could literally say that about every single part inside of a DAC. Dubious as to whether or not 99.9% of people can hear the difference in a well designed DAC between better power supply components, better diodes, capacitors, resistors, op amps, dac chip, etc... But obviously by that logic, at some point you end up with a completely different product.

 

I agree that sometimes in a well designed product, the sum is greater than the individual parts. Having said that, I'm on board for maximizing the potential of this thing!  

post #1271 of 2005
Yeah I'm skeptical of the femto clock upgrade as well. It reminds me of the limits of human hearing, which is related to this video that a fellow Head-Fier posted. It may seem better in theory and on paper, but can it actually be heard?
post #1272 of 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick v View Post
 

It's an interesting conversation. You could literally say that about every single part inside of a DAC. Dubious as to whether or not 99.9% of people can hear the difference in a well designed DAC between better power supply components, better diodes, capacitors, resistors, op amps, dac chip, etc... But obviously by that logic, at some point you end up with a completely different product.

 

I agree that sometimes in a well designed product, the sum is greater than the individual parts. Having said that, I'm on board for maximizing the potential of this thing!  

but isn't that the whole "problem" with this jitter business? that people are pinpointing a minuscule part of the whole system and claiming such large sonic differences? and then people are willing to pay relatively large sums of money for this one change? i suppose it's no different than me opting for the best caps and resistors, etc. when i build my DIY amps, but even then i know that the sonic differences are probably not going to be minimal at best and most likely will be inaudible - i just want to build the "best" amp i can for the money.

 

like i said, i have no issues with people upgrading to the femto to get the best possible system...i'm just skeptical of some of the claims that people make about the differences they hear. that's all...


Edited by kugino - 2/17/14 at 2:21am
post #1273 of 2005
I did get the femto clock upgrade... I did not get the lightspeed 2G usb cable, mainly for lack of money, but also for the same reasons you guys just talked about.
post #1274 of 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post

I did get the femto clock upgrade... I did not get the lightspeed 2G usb cable, mainly for lack of money, but also for the same reasons you guys just talked about.

Likewise... although I was at the Bay Area meet yesterday, and I won the grand prize in the raffle: a Lightspeed USB cable (you know, the split one that is 0.8 meters long and costs $1k).

post #1275 of 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
 

Likewise... although I was at the Bay Area meet yesterday, and I won the grand prize in the raffle: a Lightspeed USB cable (you know, the split one that is 0.8 meters long and costs $1k).

 

Whoa, congrats Uzi! That'll pair nicely with your Pulse X. Jealous that people at the meet got to see the Light Harmonic table. Anything excellent on there, such as a completed Geek Out for demo? I've been watching for an impressions thread but I haven't seen one pop up just yet.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics