Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics - Page 74

post #1096 of 1857

It looks to be a brushed aluminum color from what I can see, but monitor calibration may be off. But I can see what you mean, it does somewhat blend in with the white background. The shadows and reflection are what I noticed to see it was rectangular.

 

So pretty. I'd actually be willing to pay a bit more if it looked like this.

post #1097 of 1857

just backed the geek pulse + geek out combo, with upgrades to the pulse x and the upgraded amplifier. at a total of $677 it's cheaper than the mjolnir i was looking at...i'm really interested in the oppo ha-1, but with estimated $1200 price, i think i'll try the geek pulse at half that...


Edited by kugino - 1/11/14 at 2:38pm
post #1098 of 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 

just backed the geek pulse + geek out combo, with upgrades to the pulse x and the upgraded amplifier. at a total of $677 it's cheaper than the mjolnir i was looking at...i'm really interested in the oppo ha-1, but with estimated $1200 price, i think i'll try the geek pulse at half that...

 

The Mjolnir puts out 8W RMS at 32Ω where the Pulse puts out 1.5W, assuming the quoted 3W output is at 16Ω like the Geek Out. So the Mjolnir will put out more power. But in many situations that much power can be overkill. I agree with your choice to back the Pulse over buying the Schiit. You'll get an incredible DAC from a great company, a pretty powerful amp with a high quality USB receiver. Add on the integrated crossfeed, free high bandwidth USB, and all while saving quite a few bucks then you're coming out well in the end. You'll have a bit more jitter with the standard X than you will with the femto upgrade but many won't even notice the difference.

 

The Oppo looks quite interesting as well, but I don't think the LCD is a bit overkill. Still, a gorgeous looking product.

post #1099 of 1857
Geek Pulse is rated at 3 W at 16 Ω yeah.
7 VRMS maximum output voltage

3 W = (7 VRMS)^2 / R
R = ((7 VRMS)^2) / (3 W)
R = 16.3 Ω
post #1100 of 1857

i'd have jumped on the mjolnir if it had a SE headphone output. i'm not one to have a multitude of devices (i used to, but now am in favor of one amp, one dac, and a few select headphones)...the most difficult headphones i have to drive will be the alpha dog, but i think the pulse x will have more than enough oomph for them. and while the femto upgrade would be nice, i don't think it will make that much of a difference to me. 

 

and by opting for the pulse/out package, i in effect get the geek out for $70, which isn't a bad thing. 

post #1101 of 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 

i'd have jumped on the mjolnir if it had a SE headphone output. i'm not one to have a multitude of devices (i used to, but now am in favor of one amp, one dac, and a few select headphones)...the most difficult headphones i have to drive will be the alpha dog, but i think the pulse x will have more than enough oomph for them. and while the femto upgrade would be nice, i don't think it will make that much of a difference to me. 

 

and by opting for the pulse/out package, i in effect get the geek out for $70, which isn't a bad thing. 

 

Haha, sounds like our setups will be fairly similar. Balanced Alpha Dogs running off my Pulse Xfe at home and the Super Duper Geek Out when traveling. I'll also have an open pair to go with them. Currently using the HD650 as my open set, but the newly announced HE-400i are quite intriguing as well.

post #1102 of 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

 

Haha, sounds like our setups will be fairly similar. Balanced Alpha Dogs running off my Pulse Xfe at home and the Super Duper Geek Out when traveling. I'll also have an open pair to go with them. Currently using the HD650 as my open set, but the newly announced HE-400i are quite intriguing as well.

 

nice. not sure what i'll do with the geek out at the moment. rarely listen to headphones when i'm out these days as my son requires most of my attention...and i can't remember the last time i was able to spend a few hours alone in a coffee shop with my MBA. i guess i can always sell it...

 

look forward to hearing your impressions of the pulseX/AD combo once you get your pulse. 

post #1103 of 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 

 

nice. not sure what i'll do with the geek out at the moment. rarely listen to headphones when i'm out these days as my son requires most of my attention...and i can't remember the last time i was able to spend a few hours alone in a coffee shop with my MBA. i guess i can always sell it...

 

look forward to hearing your impressions of the pulseX/AD combo once you get your pulse. 

 

Work computer? I use a pretty cheap setup at work but it gets me by. I may transport my Geek to work when I'm in town and take it with me when I travel. But for now it'll be my main card as it's coming long before the Pulse is. And believe me, I'm looking forward to my own impressions of the X/AD combo. :D

post #1104 of 1857

I know nothing about amps/DACs so a few quick questions. I can connect this to my PC and listen to my IEMs / headphones with it right? Is it a case of connect to computer via USB and plug phones into the front? Also, what sort of headphones can the regular Pulse power? I'd imagine my 16 Ohm IEMs would be fine but how high impedance headphones can it power?

post #1105 of 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post

I know nothing about amps/DACs so a few quick questions. I can connect this to my PC and listen to my IEMs / headphones with it right? Is it a case of connect to computer via USB and plug phones into the front? Also, what sort of headphones can the regular Pulse power? I'd imagine my 16 Ohm IEMs would be fine but how high impedance headphones can it power?
I can connect this to my PC and listen to my IEMs / headphones with it right?
Yup.


Is it a case of connect to computer via USB and plug phones into the front?
Pretty much.
1. Plug in 12 V AC-DC wall adaptor into wall outlet
2. Plug in 12 V power cable into Geek Pulse
3. Plug in USB cable into the Geek Pulse
4. Plug in other end of USB cable into your computer
5. Turn on Geek Pulse
6. Set up Geek Pulse on your computer if needed
7. Plug in headphones into Geek Pulse
8. Play music


Also, what sort of headphones can the regular Pulse power? I'd imagine my 16 Ohm IEMs would be fine but how high impedance headphones can it power?
Light Harmonic claims that pretty much any headphone you throw at it that can work with the Geek Pulse. The regular Geek Pulse uses a 6.3 mm jack whereas the Geek Pulse X uses both a 6.3 mm jack as well as a 4-pin XLR balanced jack.

From the Indiegogo page, the Geek Pulse outputs 7 VRMS, which is about 3 watts of power at 16 ohms.
post #1106 of 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post





Is it a case of connect to computer via USB and plug phones into the front?

Pretty much.

1. Plug in 12 V AC-DC wall adaptor into wall outlet

2. Plug in 12 V power cable into Geek Pulse

3. Plug in USB cable into the Geek Pulse

4. Plug in other end of USB cable into your computer

5. Turn on Geek Pulse

6. Set up Geek Pulse on your computer if needed

7. Plug in headphones into Geek Pulse

8. Play music



 



Step 8 is my favorite step!
Edited by Muinarc - 1/13/14 at 11:13am
post #1107 of 1857

So, has anyone heard it yet? :-)

post #1108 of 1857
I'm hoping some Geek Force members from CES will be able to shed some light on how the Geek EM sounded. I'm crossing my fingers for more great impressions.
post #1109 of 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post

I'm hoping some Geek Force members from CES will be able to shed some light on how the Geek EM sounded. I'm crossing my fingers for more great impressions.
What does the EM stand for anyway? I still call it the Super-Duper Geek Out.
post #1110 of 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


What does the EM stand for anyway? I still call it the Super-Duper Geek Out.

 

I dunno, actually. But that's the technical name that Light Harmonic has given it, so I'm getting into the habit of saying it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics