Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Looking for a portable amp with similar (or better) technicalities as the O2 amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a portable amp with similar (or better) technicalities as the O2 amp

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a portable amp that has the same sound technicalities (or better) than the O2 amp.

 

I know the O2 officially is portable, but I'm looking for an amp to stack my DX50 on. 

The JDS C5 forms a very nice stack with the DX50, but I'm not convinced about its sound characteristics. 

I'm finding the C5 to sound bit warm in my chain, and I am looking for a something more revealing and neutral.

 

For clarification, it may cost more than the O2. Just not above $400 please :)

 

EDIT: I'm not putting down the C5, the synergy between this amp, and my IEMs is just a little warm. I use the cosmic ears BA4f, which is a little less warm sounding through the O2 than on the C5.


Edited by Marleybob217 - 10/27/13 at 1:25pm
post #2 of 29

My best "guess", the FiiO E12.

post #3 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

My best "guess", the FiiO E12.

I'm pretty sure the E12 is just as warm as the C5! But thanks anyway :)

 

Maybe I should've mentioned that it may cost more than the O2! $300-$400 is fine if it is actually better than the O2.

post #4 of 29

why you don't wait for the new Leckerteon UHA760?

post #5 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorillaz View Post
 

why you don't wait for the new Leckerteon UHA760?

Yeah, that's not a bad suggestion!

 

Do you think the its dac section can outperform the audinst hud-mx1?

 

The UHA-6S.MKII could also be a contender. I could use its dac section through the DX50's coax out right?

 

post #6 of 29

the new model seems to have a better dac performance(according to the manufacturer) than the Leckerton UHA-6S MKll which was considered pretty decent besides the new model having a crossfeed feature!

post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post
 

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a portable amp that has the same sound technicalities (or better) than the O2 amp.

 

I know the O2 officially is portable, but I'm looking for an amp to stack my DX50 on. 

The JDS C5 forms a very nice stack with the DX50, but I'm not convinced about its sound characteristics. 

I'm finding the C5 to sound bit warm in my chain, and I am looking for a something more revealing and neutral.

 

For clarification, it may cost more than the O2. Just not above $400 please :)

 

What headphones? Have you tried O2?

 

As others have pointed out, C5's output is perfectly natural for headphones below 18 ohms. I'm concerned you'll find no difference with an O2 or other reference class amp. It's going to be difficult to find something more neutral than C5 or O2:

 

Reply
post #8 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseaber View Post
 

 

What headphones? Have you tried O2?

 

As others have pointed out, C5's output is perfectly natural for headphones below 18 ohms. I'm concerned you'll find no difference with an O2 or other reference class amp. It's going to be difficult to find something more neutral than C5 or O2:

 

Thanks for your reply!

 

I own the O2 and I'm listening to them right now with the cosmic ears BA4f cIEMS. As the name implies, these IEMs are warm sounding. But going from the O2 to the C5, these IEMs are definitely warmer sounding through the C5.

Maybe I should restate, my current headphones are warm sounding through the C5. The synergy isn't the best.

post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post
 

Thanks for your reply!

 

I own the O2 and I'm listening to them right now with the cosmic ears BA4f cIEMS. As the name implies, these IEMs are warm sounding. But going from the O2 to the C5, these IEMs are definitely warmer sounding through the C5.

Maybe I should restate, my current headphones are warm sounding through the C5. The synergy isn't the best.

 

Interesting! Balanced armatures are the most challenging with respect to output impedance. Your BA4's are rated at 30 ohms nominal. That spec could go below 18 ohms at some frequencies. Thus, whatever amp you consider should have very low output impedance.

 

If you'd like to try a mod, we can reduce C5's output-Z from 2.2 to 0.62 ohms. Email us if you're interested.

Reply
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseaber View Post
 

 

What headphones? Have you tried O2?

 

As others have pointed out, C5's output is perfectly natural for headphones below 18 ohms. I'm concerned you'll find no difference with an O2 or other reference class amp. It's going to be difficult to find something more neutral than C5 or O2:

 

Meier Audio, just saying.  (I do like the C5 tho, it's warmer tho then Meier) My ears like the Darkness and Flatness better on the Meier (Wire with Gain) but your products are really nice.

post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post
 

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a portable amp that has the same sound technicalities (or better) than the O2 amp.

 

I know the O2 officially is portable, but I'm looking for an amp to stack my DX50 on. 

The JDS C5 forms a very nice stack with the DX50, but I'm not convinced about its sound characteristics. 

I'm finding the C5 to sound bit warm in my chain, and I am looking for a something more revealing and neutral.

 

For clarification, it may cost more than the O2. Just not above $400 please :)

 

EDIT: I'm not putting down the C5, the synergy between this amp, and my IEMs is just a little warm. I use the cosmic ears BA4f, which is a little less warm sounding through the O2 than on the C5.


That's going to be a hard find. You are limited by the whole form factor.  You have the Fiio E12, JDS C5, and some Leckertons.  And a few Chinese brands with the same form.  You really are limited when it comes to a phone type form.  Hell I can't think of anything else?  If I were you I'd just try to look for your sound then the form, the sound is what matters.

 I see what you are looking for, I do the same. I will no longer use a amp with a built in battery, Has to be 9v for me.  You're not going to get low profile with a big 9v in that sucker that's for sure :)

post #12 of 29

What about the Pico Power? 

post #13 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post
 

What about the Pico Power? 

Yeah, I'm looking at that one. Is it considered to be better technically than the O2? For almost three times the price, it better be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicman74 View Post
 


That's going to be a hard find. You are limited by the whole form factor.  You have the Fiio E12, JDS C5, and some Leckertons.  And a few Chinese brands with the same form.  You really are limited when it comes to a phone type form.  Hell I can't think of anything else?  If I were you I'd just try to look for your sound then the form, the sound is what matters.

 I see what you are looking for, I do the same. I will no longer use a amp with a built in battery, Has to be 9v for me.  You're not going to get low profile with a big 9v in that sucker that's for sure :)

It doesn't have to be a thin amp though! It's not like the DX50 + C5 is exactly portable. Since I'm planning to use it with the DX50, I'd rather have it fit neatly beneath the DX50. But it doesnt have to be <1.5 cm thick.


Edited by Marleybob217 - 10/27/13 at 11:42pm
post #14 of 29

Quickstep comes to my mind or if you like it big (!) AHA-120. Pico Power also has a very good reputation here.

 

I heard RSA amps usually have a darker sound signature, it might end up like your C5, so maybe it is safe to stay away from them.

 

Quickstep and AHA-120 can be bought in Eu, which I know is a good thing for you and me. Pico Power I am not sure, you gotta search for it dude.

post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 

Quickstep comes to my mind or if you like it big (!) AHA-120. Pico Power also has a very good reputation here.

 

I heard RSA amps usually have a darker sound signature, it might end up like your C5, so maybe it is safe to stay away from them.

 

Quickstep and AHA-120 can be bought in Eu, which I know is a good thing for you and me. Pico Power I am not sure, you gotta search for it dude.

Thanks bro! I've heard sorensiim talk about the quickstep too, but I never knew it was available in europe.

It's only €285, which is dead cheap (if it's actually better than the O2).

 

Today I got to test the C5+DX50 in the train. It's wayyyy too big and heavy. And the worst thing is, I really don't notice the added SQ when I'm forced to stand in the train because it's so busy.

So I'd rather carry around the pico amp, or quickstep, with some dual lock on the back and attach it to the DX50 when needed.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Looking for a portable amp with similar (or better) technicalities as the O2 amp