or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Ripping 24-bit CDs (Reference Recordings) on a Mac
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ripping 24-bit CDs (Reference Recordings) on a Mac

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Hi guys -

 

Need some help on the best way to rip 24-bit CDs on a Mac to ALAC.  I am using XLD, and in the "options" settings for ALAC, I have chosen to rip at the same sample rate and bit depth as the original.

 

However, when I play back the file on VLC to test, it is showing as 16 bit/44.1k Hz.

 

I could manually select the bit depth and sample rate, I suppose, but I dont always know what it is for a CD, and it would be quite tedious to have to keep looking it up.

 

Does anyone have any suggestions?

 

Thanks!

post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

Hi guys -

 

Need some help on the best way to rip 24-bit CDs on a Mac to ALAC.  I am using XLD, and in the "options" settings for ALAC, I have chosen to rip at the same sample rate and bit depth as the original.

 

However, when I play back the file on VLC to test, it is showing as 16 bit/44.1k Hz.

 

I could manually select the bit depth and sample rate, I suppose, but I dont always know what it is for a CD, and it would be quite tedious to have to keep looking it up.

 

Does anyone have any suggestions?

 

Thanks!

 

Hmmm.. Red book CD's ... those are always 16bit/44.1kHz so there's no reason for to try make 24-bit rips from them.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_Digital_Audio

 

If you really want to convert your16-bit rips into 24-bit just grap some software for to do it.

jiiteepee


Edited by jiiteepee - 10/27/13 at 1:47am
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

Doh.  I was confusing 24-bit mastering with the belief that the RR CDs were recorded in something higher than 16/44.1.  

 

Dont really feel a need to upsample to 24-bit or higher, if the recording itself is 16/44.1.

post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiiteepee View Post
 

 

Hmmm.. Red book CD's ... those are always 16bit/44.1kHz so there's no reason for to try make 24-bit rips from them.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_Digital_Audio

 

If you really want to convert your16-bit rips into 24-bit just grap some software for to do it.

jiiteepee

 

There are CD's (HDCD) that are 20bit 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Definition_Compatible_Digital

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 

Arent Reference Recordings HDCDs?  

 

However, Wiki has this to say:

"HDCD encodes the equivalent of 20 bits worth of data in a 16-bit digital audio signal by using custom ditheringaudio filters, and some reversible amplitude and gain encoding; Peak Extend, which is a reversible soft limiter and Low Level Range Extend, which is a reversible gain on low-level signals. There is thus a benefit at the expense of a very minor increase in noise"

 

So it really is a 16-bit recording after all?


Edited by vkalia - 10/27/13 at 11:27am
post #6 of 11

Where do places like HDtracks.com get their music from? 

post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH01 View Post
 

Where do places like HDtracks.com get their music from? 

Directly from the labels/studios... They're certainly not ripping SACDs and then passing that along...

post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post

Arent Reference Recordings HDCDs?  



However, Wiki has this to say:



"HDCD encodes the equivalent of 20 bits worth of data in a 16-bit digital audio signal by using custom ditheringaudio filters, and some reversible amplitude and gain encoding; Peak Extend, which is a reversible soft limiter and Low Level Range Extend, which is a reversible gain on low-level signals. There is thus a benefit at the expense of a very minor increase in noise"



So it really is a 16-bit recording after all?


 

With the right software, e.g. dBpoweramp, you can extract the 20-bit audio stream from an HDCD rip.
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 

Anyone know of a Mac equivalent that does this?

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

Anyone know of a Mac equivalent that does this?

There may be one out there, but if there is, I am unaware of it. I believe it is possible to run hdcd.exe under wine. The issue is that HDCD is a Microsoft tech, and they like to keep it a feature of Windows, and while I think hdcd.exe was compiled for other platforms, release was kept limited and on the hush-hush, because of MS restrictions.

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 

Ah ok, thanks.  I'm going to have to commandeer a friend's Windoze machine for this, then. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Ripping 24-bit CDs (Reference Recordings) on a Mac