Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Best custom cable for Westone 4R for under $160?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best custom cable for Westone 4R for under $160? - Page 3

post #31 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
 


Wire gauge is a measure of thickness, the lower the number the thicker the wire, OCC is Ohno Continuous Cast which is the best type of copper.

 

Personally I wouldn't 24 gauge for an IEM as it is heavier and less flexible than the standard 26, and you will pay more for the inconvence

that really depends cyro treated cables can have excellent flexibility, the dhc sybiote cables are 24awg and from what ive read they have excellent flexability from cyro treatment. i will let you know wghen i get mine on friday. ive owned cables for the se535 down to 22awg solid core multi stranded pure silver, it wasnt all that bad flexability meh not so much.. but sound was amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPringelss View Post
 

So which option is "PURE" silver?

What do you mean?

post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooses9 View Post
 

that really depends cyro treated cables can have excellent flexibility, the dhc sybiote cables are 24awg and from what ive read they have excellent flexability from cyro treatment. i will let you know wghen i get mine on friday. ive owned cables for the se535 down to 22awg solid core multi stranded pure silver, it wasnt all that bad flexability meh not so much.. but sound was amazing


I guess you don't move very quickly, if at all, while wearing your IEMs - solid core 22awg? :eek:

post #33 of 50
Ted Allen's cables are 24awg and are incredibly flexible. The type of insulation as well as sheathing have a profound effect on the flexibility.
post #34 of 50
Thread Starter 

As in, if I buy one, I'll have to buy a short one?

>>>>IGNORE<<<<


Edited by ElPringelss - 10/29/13 at 4:08pm
post #35 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
 

Haha!  That wasn't there this morning I'm sure...

 

Yup, that says OCC silver so those are pure.  Looks like you'll be joining me in the short cable club if you want one in your original budget :D

As in if I buy one, I'll have to buy a short cable?

post #36 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooses9 View Post
 

that really depends cyro treated cables can have excellent flexibility, the dhc sybiote cables are 24awg and from what ive read they have excellent flexability from cyro treatment. i will let you know wghen i get mine on friday. ive owned cables for the se535 down to 22awg solid core multi stranded pure silver, it wasnt all that bad flexability meh not so much.. but sound was amazing

What do you mean?

I mean a cable that isn't plated copper, just pure silver.

post #37 of 50
Thread Starter 

By the way, Ted quoted me $207 for my specifications including OCC Silver and Viablue plugs.

post #38 of 50

Ted Allen is headphonelounge.com, it's a nice guy to talk to, a lot of options to choose and does top notch work.

http://headphonelounge.com/silver-iem-cables/

 

(Frank) Toxic cables are a bit more expensive, but also excellent.

http://toxic-cables.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_71

 

In the end, both make good cables so, pick the one you like most.


Edited by squallkiercosa - 10/29/13 at 4:41pm
post #39 of 50

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post

Ted Allen's cables are 24awg and are incredibly flexible. The type of insulation as well as sheathing have a profound effect on the flexibility.


I was going to link you to Ted's profile where I was sure he declared his love for his "26awg OCC Copper" but i's been changed to silver :D

 

Looks like I'm going mad, just compared Ted's cable to a Whiplash one "knowing" that was 26.5 awg but on checking their site before posting it's 24.5.  The Whiplash looks thicker than Ted's cable but is less flexible, so probably just thicker insulation.

 

Sorry for the misinformation... 24awg is good.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPringelss View Post
 

By the way, Ted quoted me $207 for my specifications including OCC Silver and Viablue plugs.

 

So you went for the standard 5' ? Where do people store their DAPs... from my pocket to over my far ear is only 3.5' if I look over my shoulder, any longer than that it's just begging to be caught on a doorhandle :ph34r:

post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPringelss View Post
 

By the way, Ted quoted me $207 for my specifications including OCC Silver and Viablue plugs.


Is that shipping to Australia?

I think they are $50-60 well over my budget.

post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPringelss View Post
 

I mean a cable that isn't plated copper, just pure silver.

yeah ted sell's pure silver, i believe its neotech, and he also has occ spc and occ copepr

post #42 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo3y View Post


Is that shipping to Australia?
I think they are $50-60 well over my budget.

Then I suggest, the OCC silver plated copper which is around $100 USD.
post #43 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post


Then I suggest, the OCC silver plated copper which is around $100 USD.

Ted quoted me for the spc and viablue plugs, carbon barrel for $112

I'm not sure if the prices quoted are shipping included.

post #44 of 50
Oyiade vs. Viablue.
Is there a sound difference between them? Or is it just looks and personal preference?

I think right-angled seems more practical in a pocket which viablue doesnt offer.
post #45 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPringelss View Post
 

Ted quoted me for the spc and viablue plugs, carbon barrel for $112

I'm not sure if the prices quoted are shipping included.

Actually, I believe that the shipping prices are included in the quote.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Best custom cable for Westone 4R for under $160?