How would these two headphones compare in terms of SQ, soundstage, comfort, and durability? I could get the m100 for about $230 and the 598's for about $200
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 10/26/13
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD558 or HD598 Last post on 7/11/16 at 4:52pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HD 598 for vocals Last post on 5/21/15 at 5:23pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser HD650 Sub Bass Last post on 11/26/15 at 8:40am in Headphones (full-size)
- Something as comfy as Sennheiser's but with more bass? Last post on 12/30/15 at 1:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Minimum amp requirement for AKG K702? Last post on 2/13/15 at 5:36am in Headphones (full-size)
Background It’s safe to say that Massdrop has played a decent role in both introducing new products to the headphone community while highlighting others through their group-purchase...
Introduction – The original d900 from Syllable made quite a splash when it first arrived on the market. It was one of the very first fully wireless earphones ever produced. Furthermore, it was...
The Fiio E12A Mont Blanc portable headphone amplifier is a great amp for IEM's and earbuds. The sound signature is slightly on the warm side, and presents a much fuller sound and wider...
**Disclaimer: I received the M3 from FiiO in return for my honest review** I have been watching FiiO's product line-up for quite some time. I've played with the X1 DAP owned by a friend and...
At the time this review was written the iBasso D14 Bushmaster DAC/Amplifier was for sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to iBasso’s product page display, and also a listing on Penon...
Vmoda m100 vs HD598
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Don't misunderstand me but their signatures, natures (open vs closed), style, intended use are too far to make a fair comparison.
A few question have to be addressed: what would be the intended use? what kind of music you like? Planning to take with you? source?
They would most likely be used at home from a laptop/phone without an amp. I mainly listen to classical and pop. I understand their signatures are different but how would their detail and clarity compare? I know the the 598's should have a bigger soundstage but are the m100's close? How about their value for the price? I'm guessing the 598's signature would probably be better for classical but I really like the build quality of the m100's so if their detail is the better and soundstage is decent then I would probably get the m100's.
If I have the M-80s, would I gain the most by getting the M100's or 598's
I really don't know how to answer that. I have not heard the M80 or the 598, and I didn't like the M100. Sorry.
Though I have not heard the M100, I think if you want to cover as many genres NOW, go for the HD598 as they are now going for cheap on amazon. If you search hard enough you will find cheaper deals even.
This is if you have the M80. They are very different from each other, giving you two great performers for various genres.
If you're still jonesing for the M100 (like me) then you can save up and get it at a later date.
The 598 does not need amplification but does benefit from it. A simple amp like the FiiO E17 will do wonders for it...and the M80 actually. I like them both much much more than from just an iphone 4s for example. Good recordings will expose the weakness of the iphone on these heaphones.
Good luck and let us know which way you go.
With a budget of 300 or so, you can get the HD598, you would have enough for a FiiO E17. With the M100 you have all sorts of cool stuff like the case and the extra cables but not enoug for an amp.
Or you could just go straight to this one:
Other experienced headfiers say they would choose the 600 unamped over the 598 amped. I have no experienced with the 600 unfortunately. Then of course, if you go that route, it wont be long before you get into the amplification game.
The senns will perform well for home use, not so well for outdoors. The m100, will of course be better for mobile use. The M80s are built like tanks, and so is the m100 having the same lineage. I can tell you from experience, the 598 will not survive long term on road use.
Edited by NZheadcase - 10/26/13 at 10:11pm
- Vmoda m100 vs HD598
- › Three Word Story 8 seconds ago
- › Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and importance of bias/blind... 1 minute ago
- › The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW... 2 minutes ago
- › Considering Schiit(or other things too) 3 minutes ago
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 4 minutes ago
- › Vibro Labs Introduction, USA tour, and Head-Fi discount! 4 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone 5 minutes ago
- › LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG 5 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 10 minutes ago
- › "Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation &... 10 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Brainwavz Jive by Feilong4
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by Jeremypsp
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...