How would these two headphones compare in terms of SQ, soundstage, comfort, and durability? I could get the m100 for about $230 and the 598's for about $200
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 10/26/13
Related Forum Threads
- HD 598 for vocals Last post on 5/21/15 at 5:23pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser HD650 Sub Bass Last post on 5/13/15 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- Something as comfy as Sennheiser's but with more bass? Last post on 3/4/15 at 8:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- Minimum amp requirement for AKG K702? Last post on 2/13/15 at 5:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best listening experience: iPod + AMP or new DAP? Last post on 2/12/15 at 9:57am in Portable Source Gear
Vmoda m100 vs HD598
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Don't misunderstand me but their signatures, natures (open vs closed), style, intended use are too far to make a fair comparison.
A few question have to be addressed: what would be the intended use? what kind of music you like? Planning to take with you? source?
They would most likely be used at home from a laptop/phone without an amp. I mainly listen to classical and pop. I understand their signatures are different but how would their detail and clarity compare? I know the the 598's should have a bigger soundstage but are the m100's close? How about their value for the price? I'm guessing the 598's signature would probably be better for classical but I really like the build quality of the m100's so if their detail is the better and soundstage is decent then I would probably get the m100's.
If I have the M-80s, would I gain the most by getting the M100's or 598's
I really don't know how to answer that. I have not heard the M80 or the 598, and I didn't like the M100. Sorry.
Though I have not heard the M100, I think if you want to cover as many genres NOW, go for the HD598 as they are now going for cheap on amazon. If you search hard enough you will find cheaper deals even.
This is if you have the M80. They are very different from each other, giving you two great performers for various genres.
If you're still jonesing for the M100 (like me) then you can save up and get it at a later date.
The 598 does not need amplification but does benefit from it. A simple amp like the FiiO E17 will do wonders for it...and the M80 actually. I like them both much much more than from just an iphone 4s for example. Good recordings will expose the weakness of the iphone on these heaphones.
Good luck and let us know which way you go.
With a budget of 300 or so, you can get the HD598, you would have enough for a FiiO E17. With the M100 you have all sorts of cool stuff like the case and the extra cables but not enoug for an amp.
Or you could just go straight to this one:
Other experienced headfiers say they would choose the 600 unamped over the 598 amped. I have no experienced with the 600 unfortunately. Then of course, if you go that route, it wont be long before you get into the amplification game.
The senns will perform well for home use, not so well for outdoors. The m100, will of course be better for mobile use. The M80s are built like tanks, and so is the m100 having the same lineage. I can tell you from experience, the 598 will not survive long term on road use.
Edited by NZheadcase - 10/26/13 at 10:11pm
- Vmoda m100 vs HD598
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 11 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 1 minute ago
- › Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software 2 minutes ago
- › AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread 2 minutes ago
- › hd25-1 impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 3 minutes ago
- › --------> Vinyl sale of rare, audiophile, rock, and others LP Records 4 minutes ago
- › New WESTONE W-SERIES 5 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi® Matrix2 AF62 Stereo Bluetooth®... by twister6
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by peter123
- › Sennheiser IE800 by Lan647
- › Perfect Seal SportBud Silver by DreamKing
- › Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone by RudeWolf
- › Grado Labs SR80e by Pokemonn
- › Aune B1 by money4me247
- › Hippo Biscuit by BruceBanner
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones by remwang
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by mark2410
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2