Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › So, I'm looking for that perfect amp...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So, I'm looking for that perfect amp... - Page 47

post #691 of 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketInABucket View Post

Neutrality is not what I'm looking for this time, got that in bucketloads with the Apex Glacier smily_headphones1.gif
Will be using it with the DX50 so they're incompatible frown.gif

My friend, there is nothing neutral about a C5 with Bass Boost on. wink.gif It becomes an energetic monstrosity.
post #692 of 915
For me the C5 doesn't work well with all phones. It didn't sound good with most of my phones which is the reason why I sold it. For some reason the sound with the C5 going out to the Re400s and the UE900s was quite messy in comparison to the iphone4s (i didn't have a Dx50 at the time) by itself. The C5 also didn't have enough power to drive my mad dogs or my HE500s. The C5 did sound good with the GR07 BE. The bass boost was also a little but too much on most tracks so I had it off most of the time.

I'm not sure how well the C5 would have performed with the DX50. I'm sure it would be better since its a better source than the iPhone 4s, but as I had it setup I couldn't keep it especially when I had my desktop setup and realised what good sound is supposed yo sound like.
Edited by spurxiii - 1/1/14 at 3:45pm
post #693 of 915

Oh god a wave of responses to help me, thanks guys :D

 

So the main candidates seem to be the JDS Labs C5 and the FiiO E12. I'll be sure to audition both of them ASAP!

 

I'll be using the amp primarily with the Aedle VK-1 because the Apex Glacier into the VISO HP50 already makes a good combo imo.

post #694 of 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketInABucket View Post
 

Oh god a wave of responses to help me, thanks guys :D

 

So the main candidates seem to be the JDS Labs C5 and the FiiO E12. I'll be sure to audition both of them ASAP!

 

I'll be using the amp primarily with the Aedle VK-1 because the Apex Glacier into the VISO HP50 already makes a good combo imo.

I have c5d and it sound amazing! With dx50 with EQ off and bass boost on from the amp is SUPER! :)

post #695 of 915

I like UHA-4 with DX50/JH16 combo more than C5D. UHA-4 tends to have a little wider soundstage and tighter bass. C5D's bass with boost off becomes a bit muddy especially in the upper bass to sub mid part on some tracks I listen to.

 

Another thing I notice with C5D is at low gain, cranking the volume all the way up, distortion is noticeable with my T1. UHA-4 will just be not loud enough but no hint of distortion. However, At high gain, distortion goes away.

post #696 of 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post
 

I like UHA-4 with DX50/JH16 combo more than C5D. UHA-4 tends to have a little wider soundstage and tighter bass. C5D's bass with boost off becomes a bit muddy especially in the upper bass to sub mid part on some tracks I listen to.

 

Another thing I notice with C5D is at low gain, cranking the volume all the way up, distortion is noticeable with my T1. UHA-4 will just be not loud enough but no hint of distortion. However, At high gain, distortion goes away.

you might be right, I cannot comment on high volumes :) I only use around 20% of my amps volume at low gain :) 

post #697 of 915

C'mon folks don't you know, the ideal amp is a straight wire with gain. You do realize that reaching a consensus on this should be next to impossible. :D

post #698 of 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

C'mon folks don't you know, the ideal amp is a straight wire with gain. You do realize that reaching a consensus on this should be next to impossible. :D

 

If one exist let me know.

post #699 of 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

C'mon folks don't you know, the ideal amp is a straight wire with gain. You do realize that reaching a consensus on this should be next to impossible. :D

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post
 

 

If one exist let me know.

I'll be sure to do that. If you're interested, right now I have 0dB wire in stock. :wink_face:

post #700 of 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post


I'll be sure to do that. If you're interested, right now I have 0dB wire in stock. wink_face.gif

I don't think 0 dB is enough to drive my T1. it's just not loud enough. I need around 8dB to properly drive T1.
Edited by headwhacker - 1/1/14 at 7:42pm
post #701 of 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

 

 

I'll be sure to do that. If you're interested, right now I have 0dB wire in stock. :wink_face:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post


I don't think 0 dB is enough to drive my T1. it's just not loud enough.

Well, if you want the ideal amp, you'll have to ditch your cans and get something a little bit more efficient/sensitive. Just say'in :D

post #702 of 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post

I don't think 0 dB is enough to drive my T1. it's just not loud enough. I need around 8dB to properly drive T1.

Now you gonna tell me to ditch my DAP as well because it has a built-in amp. Perfect
post #703 of 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post


Now you gonna tell me to ditch my DAP as well because it has a built-in amp. Perfect

Naw, you'll still need a source of music, just connect your new 0dB amp to your DAP's line out and you're good to go. One thing about this new amp, it doesn't scale. It does have a perfectly flat response from DC to microwaves.

post #704 of 915

Hi, i think i have a similar case.

I am looking for a amp/dac as a pc build,

I am using ciem 8.a and K10 in the future ( low impedance) .

 

Any recommendation amp/ dac for k10?

Main purpose is for laptop audio

post #705 of 915
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
 

Hi, i think i have a similar case.

I am looking for a amp/dac as a pc build,

I am using ciem 8.a and K10 in the future ( low impedance) .

 

Any recommendation amp/ dac for k10?

Main purpose is for laptop audio

What's your budget?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › So, I'm looking for that perfect amp...