or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › So, I'm looking for that perfect amp...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So, I'm looking for that perfect amp... - Page 42

post #616 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post
 

Haha, sorry for being a bad influence! :D 

 

I'm pretty hyped about the DX90 as well, but I'm afraid you overestimate my influence. I am living perfectly fine with 64gb but when it comes to storage, more IS better. I'd never use the OTG function either, no scanning and you're definitely going to break something.

 

Thank you for the kind words on the K10 - I'm still madly in love with them as well, but they actually sound better than they look. Especially when driven by the balanced output of the PB2!


Okay than, another idea. Why don't you come close to FiiO X5? If DX90 won't bring higher capacity, it is 'unfortunately' a dead born baby for me. Every people has their own needs, for me, one of the most important thing is, at least 128 gb capacity, the more is always welcome.

 

As for balanced setups, I think I am gonna go down this route too but I am afraid it won't be iBasso's way. The balanced connectors they use is problematic I see. I wish they could make it with RSA style (Kubikconn or something like that, not really sure). That would be easy. So there is a chance I might end up getting Lightning later and forget about single end for a long time.

post #617 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 


Okay than, another idea. Why don't you come close to FiiO X5? If DX90 won't bring higher capacity, it is 'unfortunately' a dead born baby for me. Every people has their own needs, for me, one of the most important thing is, at least 128 gb capacity, the more is always welcome.

 

 

I agree that storage is important, particularly with hi res albums becoming more widespread. 128 GB doesn't go that far and although cards are very useful and it's great to be able to swap them, they are also fiddly little things these days and my fingers aren't getting any more nimble.

 

It's never been easier to lose 64 gb of music...

post #618 of 930
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 


Okay than, another idea. Why don't you come close to FiiO X5? If DX90 won't bring higher capacity, it is 'unfortunately' a dead born baby for me. Every people has their own needs, for me, one of the most important thing is, at least 128 gb capacity, the more is always welcome.

 

As for balanced setups, I think I am gonna go down this route too but I am afraid it won't be iBasso's way. The balanced connectors they use is problematic I see. I wish they could make it with RSA style (Kubikconn or something like that, not really sure). That would be easy. So there is a chance I might end up getting Lightning later and forget about single end for a long time.

The Hirose connectors feel fantastic, but are very hard to get. That's why I've ordered the parts that should enable me to rework the PB2 into using a 4-pin mini-xlr connector instead. Easily avaiable, cheap and sturdy. Win/Win/Win. Yes, modding the amplifier, not building adapters.

 

And while the missus was busy watching some crud on Netflix just now, I decided to make myself a new IC! Angled Neutrik (I do like those), Mogami 2893 but with the jacket and shield replaced by bright red paracord! Because reasons!

 

 

 

Not as stealthy as my idea with a flat cable between them, but a lot easier to actually use.

post #619 of 930

It just became a game for you isn't it :happy_face1: I like the idea about modding the amp, I seriously need to learn a lot from you ;) Still, unless we see a high capacity iBasso dap, I think we won't be sharing the experience of using the same dap.

post #620 of 930
Thread Starter 

Okay, now that I got the connectors I needed for balanced driving, the rankings are as follows:

 

3) PB2 single-ended

2) Meier Quickstep

1) PB2 Balanced

 

I feared that there would be minimal difference when going balanced with multi-BA iems but that wasn't the case. Single-ended out of the PB2 has you standing right in front of a small-ish stage, like having the best seats in a jazz club. With the Quickstep, you sit a row further from the stage, but the stage is much wider and the musicians have more room to move around. With the PB2 balanced, you maintain the stage from the Quickstep but now you're ON the stage, with the band playing all around you. You pick up everything, all the subtle sounds and audible clues have their place and you start noticing things like reverb, room acoustics and so on. It sounds so damn REAL! 

 

I think I just found my new favorite amp. Only downside is that now that I've heard what it can do to my ciems, I'm lusting after getting back the HD650 and the DT770LE to see how they would respond to going balanced!

post #621 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

Okay, now that I got the connectors I needed for balanced driving, the rankings are as follows:

3) PB2 single-ended
2) Meier Quickstep
1) PB2 Balanced

I feared that there would be minimal difference when going balanced with multi-BA iems but that wasn't the case. Single-ended out of the PB2 has you standing right in front of a small-ish stage, like having the best seats in a jazz club. With the Quickstep, you sit a row further from the stage, but the stage is much wider and the musicians have more room to move around. With the PB2 balanced, you maintain the stage from the Quickstep but now you're ON the stage, with the band playing all around you. You pick up everything, all the subtle sounds and audible clues have their place and you start noticing things like reverb, room acoustics and so on. It sounds so damn REAL! 

I think I just found my new favorite amp. Only downside is that now that I've heard what it can do to my ciems, I'm lusting after getting back the HD650 and the DT770LE to see how they would respond to going balanced!
That's awesome I can't wait to get some hirose connectors
post #622 of 930
You perked-up my curiosity Sorensiim. Now am setting my sights on PB2 but need to clarify some things as I am not familiar with balanced connectors. So please be lenient with me biggrin.gif that 6- pin connector on the PB2, what is that for? Do I need to buy a special cable / connector to link it with my DX50? Will using the 3.5 output from the PB2 and hooking it up to the LO of DX50 achieve a balanced signal?
post #623 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard327 View Post

You perked-up my curiosity Sorensiim. Now am setting my sights on PB2 but need to clarify some things as I am not familiar with balanced connectors. So please be lenient with me biggrin.gif that 6- pin connector on the PB2, what is that for? Do I need to buy a special cable / connector to link it with my DX50? Will using the 3.5 output from the PB2 and hooking it up to the LO of DX50 achieve a balanced signal?

Got it now from the PB2 manual rolleyes.gif next question is , does the PB2 comes with the balanced output cable and where do I connect it to my DX50?
post #624 of 930
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurxiii View Post


That's awesome I can't wait to get some hirose connectors

 

Seriously, it's a whole new amp once you go balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard327 View Post


Got it now from the PB2 manual rolleyes.gif next question is , does the PB2 comes with the balanced output cable and where do I connect it to my DX50?

You use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm IC between the DX50 and the PB2. The PB2 will split it into a balanced signal. Then you need a Hirose 6-pin (only 4 pins are used) connector like this for your headphone cable. Make sure your cable has 4 wires all the way to the plug or you'll need a new cable.

post #625 of 930

If only I can easily find some in Oz

post #626 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post




Seriously, it's a whole new amp once you go balanced.
You use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm IC between the DX50 and the PB2. The PB2 will split it into a balanced signal. Then you need a Hirose 6-pin (only 4 pins are used) connector like this for your headphone cable. Make sure your cable has 4 wires all the way to the plug or you'll need a new cable.

Great! Appreciate your helpful and quick response Sorensiim. The connector is applicable only to headphones and not IEM?
post #627 of 930
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurxiii View Post
 

If only I can easily find some in Oz

 

If I manage to convert the PB2 to using 4-pin mini-xlr, I'll sell you the two Hirose connectors I just got for what I paid (plus shipping). One is still in the original wrapping, the other is being safely babied as you can see below. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard327 View Post


Great! Appreciate your helpful and quick response Sorensiim. The connector is applicable only to headphones and not IEM?

It's applicable to whatever you want. I use mine with my (C)IEM cable:

 

post #628 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

Okay, now that I got the connectors I needed for balanced driving, the rankings are as follows:

3) PB2 single-ended
2) Meier Quickstep
1) PB2 Balanced

I feared that there would be minimal difference when going balanced with multi-BA iems but that wasn't the case. Single-ended out of the PB2 has you standing right in front of a small-ish stage, like having the best seats in a jazz club. With the Quickstep, you sit a row further from the stage, but the stage is much wider and the musicians have more room to move around. With the PB2 balanced, you maintain the stage from the Quickstep but now you're ON the stage, with the band playing all around you. You pick up everything, all the subtle sounds and audible clues have their place and you start noticing things like reverb, room acoustics and so on. It sounds so damn REAL! 

I think I just found my new favorite amp. Only downside is that now that I've heard what it can do to my ciems, I'm lusting after getting back the HD650 and the DT770LE to see how they would respond to going balanced!

Congrats Soren you just described in few words how it feels like to go from single ended to balanced.
Just a warning; once you go balanced there is no way back. beerchug.gif

Your work look professional as always.
post #629 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

If I manage to convert the PB2 to using 4-pin mini-xlr, I'll sell you the two Hirose connectors I just got for what I paid (plus shipping). One is still in the original wrapping, the other is being safely babied as you can see below. 
It's applicable to whatever you want. I use mine with my (C)IEM cable:



Yes please that would be great
post #630 of 930
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post


Congrats Soren you just described in few words how it feels like to go from single ended to balanced.
Just a warning; once you go balanced there is no way back. beerchug.gif

Your work look professional as always.

Yeah, as much as I like the Quickstep, there's probably no coming back now. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurxiii View Post


Yes please that would be great

I'll PM you if the operation goes according to plan. U$30 should cover 2x Hirose plus shipping to The Continent That Wants To Kill You.

 

I think my rig will stay like this for a long time. Well, at least a few days until the mini-xlr parts arrive and I tear it all apart again.


Edited by Sorensiim - 12/29/13 at 3:15am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › So, I'm looking for that perfect amp...