Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › So, I'm looking for that perfect amp...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So, I'm looking for that perfect amp... - Page 16

post #226 of 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

I bought the Meier because of the fantastic sound. The shape of the Meier is the reason I'm still looking at amps...If I had the HD800 I'd probably just order an Intruder and be done with it.

Sounds like you met your match wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihis View Post

Have you noticed that DX50 shape is slightly chamfered in similar fashion as Quickstep. So you could claim that it's actually perfect match for Quickstep:)

Hmm, no. The shape is totally different and kind a pointy on both sides, not the kind of shape that attracts my liking, I would rather wanna stay in the rectangular realm, including the inverted pyramid stacked with rectangularly shaped amps.

Now if you want a perfect stack cough..cough, the RSA intruder and the DX50 are both perfect pair, I don't stack both as portable because the Intruder is still a heavy amp even though it is constructed with light material, the battery is the guilty party, also it will last about 7 hours of play, not an issue on your regular commute but could be a killer on an intercontinental flight. Would be just fine on a company electrical grid though. wink.gif. Here we go I said my piece.
post #227 of 915
Soren I have a few questions about the QuickStep:

Jan's amp shows regulated power input, that would mean that the regular wallwart would be out of question correct?

Knowing that a clean regulated DC input makes all the difference, wouldn't you say that is his claim to sonic fame? I checked the mentioned components and those are off the shelf mouser parts, some slightly expensive I might add, but nothing exceptional. How would you describe his design that sets it apart from the others? I am asking because Jan runs a holidays special and it's damn tempting but I would want to make sure it would beat the RSA (tough amp to beat by the way).
post #228 of 915
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post

Soren I have a few questions about the QuickStep:

Jan's amp shows regulated power input, that would mean that the regular wallwart would be out of question correct?

Knowing that a clean regulated DC input makes all the difference, wouldn't you say that is his claim to sonic fame? I checked the mentioned components and those are off the shelf mouser parts, some slightly expensive I might add, but nothing exceptional. How would you describe his design that sets it apart from the others? I am asking because Jan runs a holidays special and it's damn tempting but I would want to make sure it would beat the RSA (tough amp to beat by the way).

I used it with a 15V regulated PSU, as well as the DX100 charger (perfect fit) and running it off a cheap-as-chips 9V battery. Zero sonic difference to my ears, but I haven't listened extensively for it either. There's a lot of effort put into cleaning the power in the Quickstep. I think there's no "magic" to the sound, just an exceptionally well thought out circuitry and the use of active balanced ground. I'm seriously looking into fitting it into another case as it is sonically darn near perfect to me.


Edited by Sorensiim - 11/2/13 at 1:03am
post #229 of 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

I used it with a 15V regulated PSU, as well as the DX100 charger (perfect fit) and running it off a cheap-as-chips 9V battery. Zero sonic difference to my ears, but I haven't listened extensively for it either. There's a lot of effort put into cleaning the power in the Quickstep. I think there's no "magic" to the sound, just an exceptionally well thought out circuitry and the use of active balanced ground. I'm seriously looking into fitting it into another case as it is sonically darn near perfect to me.

Thanks I think you said it, active balanced ground, I believe the T5 claimed to have such circuitry but really wish it would have not died cause iBasso claimed that it was better than the D12 with the double dacs, hard to believe to be honest, I thought it was an iBasso marketing blitz smily_headphones1.gif

Well you read my mind, I just can't use this case at all, I would want to house it in a rectangularly shaped box but then you get into custom housing if you can find one close enough to fit the circuitry. What did you have in mind for the casing?

The Pico Power is truly the perfect casing I'd love to carry around but the battery only setup kind a ruin it for me although if it will last long enough I guess I have no issues charging two spares while using one. You could also do the same and have a 9 volt battery charger handy as long as you don't change them every 7 hours wink.gif I think the pico lasts longer though.
post #230 of 915
Thread Starter 

For a long time I didn't even consider the Meier amps because off the odd shape, but now that I've heard the Quickstep I'm just looking for a better case for it. I think it would fit just fine in the R1 case, but that would require new front and rear plates.

post #231 of 915
I think you should consider the Classic+Daccord Meier combo as your desktop rig, you said you want to listen to your music at your desk. The classic is the amp with all the grounding features that produce clean sound and the Daccord is the double Wolfson dac unit. The two would be a fire power and the price is amazingly right, systems out there of same caliber would run you twice the cost. That would be your desktop rig end-game wink.gif

By the way they are all rectangular! ksc75smile.gif
Edited by musicheaven - 11/2/13 at 2:45am
post #232 of 915
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post

I think you should consider the Classic+Daccord Meier combo as your desktop rig, you said you want to listen to your music at your desk. The classic is the amp with all the grounding features that produce clean sound and the Daccord is the double Wolfson dac unit. The two would be a fire power and the price is amazingly right, systems out there of same caliber would run you twice the cost. That would be your desktop rig end-game wink.gif

By the way they are all rectangular! ksc75smile.gif

Really not looking for a desktop rig, despite listening at my desk. I like having one rig I can just pick up and take with me. Also, using my computer as a source sucks when using a laptop to run 6-7 virtual computers while RDP'ing to 3 servers and remote controlling two other hosts... The music stutters when the computer is trying to keep up and that gets annoying real quick. :o

post #233 of 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

Really not looking for a desktop rig, despite listening at my desk. I like having one rig I can just pick up and take with me. Also, using my computer as a source sucks when using a laptop to run 6-7 virtual computers while RDP'ing to 3 servers and remote controlling two other hosts... The music stutters when the computer is trying to keep up and that gets annoying real quick. redface.gif

Just a suggestion, truly though you sound like you don't need an amp. Can't you just use the DX50 by itself?

I have 3 pcs on my desk so one will be unused so no lags there but they don't allow us to connect USB devices on them so no rigs for us.
post #234 of 915
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post


Just a suggestion, truly though you sound like you don't need an amp. Can't you just use the DX50 by itself?

I have 3 pcs on my desk so one will be unused so no lags there but they don't allow us to connect USB devices on them so no rigs for us.

It's not about power, it's about sound quality. The Quickstep (and the Heir R1) sounds quite a bit better than the headphone output from the DX50 :smile:

post #235 of 915

Oh my, I did some calculations, and apparently I have spent €1300 since July on headphone related equipment...

 

If I'm not thoroughly impressed by the performances of the quickstep vs the O2, I might have to return it...

post #236 of 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post
 

Oh my, I did some calculations, and apparently I have spent €1300 since July on headphone related equipment...

 

If I'm not thoroughly impressed by the performances of the quickstep vs the O2, I might have to return it...


You are not a newbie either but I guess the rule repeats itself, Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry about your wallet.

post #237 of 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 


You are not a newbie either but I guess the rule repeats itself, Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry about your wallet.

Thanks :(

 

Now let's hope I thoroughly enjoy the AKG K702 anniversary...

post #238 of 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post
 

I bought the Meier because of the fantastic sound. The shape of the Meier is the reason I'm still looking at amps...If I had the HD800 I'd probably just order an Intruder and be done with it.

Intruder, and not SR71B?  So you would bypass the dx50 DAC in favor of the RSA ? 

 

DHL says my dx50 has finished processing through the Tokyo depot, so I`m sitting here hoping they deliver on a Saturday night.  I picked up two 64gb micro SDs this afternoon so I`m ready to roll.  

post #239 of 915
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopaminer View Post

Intruder, and not SR71B?  So you would bypass the dx50 DAC in favor of the RSA ? 

DHL says my dx50 has finished processing through the Tokyo depot, so I`m sitting here hoping they deliver on a Saturday night.  I picked up two 64gb micro SDs this afternoon so I`m ready to roll.  
Intruder has an updated amp compared to the SR71B, the Intruder DAC only has USB input and is thus useless with the DX50 smily_headphones1.gif

Should a used SR71B pop up at a fair price in the EU, I just might bite tho.
post #240 of 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

Intruder has an updated amp compared to the SR71B, the Intruder DAC only has USB input and is thus useless with the DX50 smily_headphones1.gif

Should a used SR71B pop up at a fair price in the EU, I just might bite tho.

Not anymore, the updated 71b has a similar circuitry than the Intruder and makes it a better choice if you don't want the USB connection from the Intruder.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › So, I'm looking for that perfect amp...