Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › So, I'm looking for that perfect amp...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So, I'm looking for that perfect amp... - Page 15

post #211 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

Charging a 12V battery with a 5V supply might take a while... Meh, anything can be done, I guess. I'll go ask some more knowledgable people about this project!

Soren I saw this product on the following site you might be interested in:

http://www.powerstream.com/PST-MP3500.htm
post #212 of 929
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post
 

I'm curious, how much more performance do the 8.A give over the 4.A?

Depends on what you're after. The 4.A (4.Ai, haven't had the pleasure of the ciem version) is a very nice all-round iem, good for just about anything you trow at it and not too picky about source or material. The 8.A has a slightly more laid back presentation but with details in spades and a treble that just keeps going without ever getting shrill or sibilant. That, and the bass will knock the fillings out of your teeth :D

post #213 of 929
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post


Soren I saw this product on the following site you might be interested in:

http://www.powerstream.com/PST-MP3500.htm

Not for my audiostack but that's a pretty interesting product. Might need one of those to throw in my Go-Bag... 

 

 

(My Go-Bag is a Timbuk2 Classic messenger and holds my laptop, chargers, my Kindle Paperwhite, a Peli 1020 with my ciems, a Peli 1060 with my basic set of tools, sometimes an otterbox with my Rendition 1 amp, sometimes an Otterbox with the 4.Ai and Tzar 350, pens, pills, RSA vpn token, spare glasses, Gerber multitool and a few cables... Luck favors the overly prepared.)

post #214 of 929
Thread Starter 

Yeah, I know I already ordered the Quickstep, but does anyone around here have experience with the Ibasso T5?

post #215 of 929

This has been a fun read so far, one step ahead of my own situation.  Batch 7 dx50 is currently being tracked from HK to Tokyo and I`m also struggling (oh, the 1st-world problems!) with the amping decision.  I have the ALO Continental V2, which I love, but am seeking something new, and hopefully `better`.  

 

PB2 ?  RSA something?   I need to drive my iems AND my HD800s  

 

The Meier stuff sounds great, but due to my worse-than-OCD E.A.R condition ( Extreme Anal Retentiveness), there is no way I can have something shaped like that in my life, never mind strapped to my DAP.  

 

Someone earlier mentioned the Just Audio aha-120 and there`s a shop here with one for >$500, so that is my other, non-balanced obsession at the moment.  

 

Congrats on the decision and let`s see how that DIY battery projects goes.

 

d

post #216 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopaminer View Post
 

This has been a fun read so far, one step ahead of my own situation.  Batch 7 dx50 is currently being tracked from HK to Tokyo and I`m also struggling (oh, the 1st-world problems!) with the amping decision.  I have the ALO Continental V2, which I love, but am seeking something new, and hopefully `better`.  

 

PB2 ?  RSA something?   I need to drive my iems AND my HD800s  

 

The Meier stuff sounds great, but due to my worse-than-OCD E.A.R condition ( Extreme Anal Retentiveness), there is no way I can have something shaped like that in my life, never mind strapped to my DAP.  

 

Someone earlier mentioned the Just Audio aha-120 and there`s a shop here with one for >$500, so that is my other, non-balanced obsession at the moment.  

 

Congrats on the decision and let`s see how that DIY battery projects goes.

 

d


AHA-120 seems to be quite perfect however gets very little attention here in head fi. If Quickstep's shape is really annoying you, you might want to give it a try to AHA-120. I also consider it for future too most probably pair with FiiO X5 if I need more power for my SE5way.


Edited by AmberOzL - 11/1/13 at 8:33am
post #217 of 929

What about the Apex Glacier?

post #218 of 929

Has anyone tried the Portaphile 627x with the DX50 and CIEMs?

 

At 2.75″ x 4″  x 1.12″ it is a pretty good size match up. I've heard nothing but stellar reviews about how it matches up with the DX100. Though it is pricey at $599 so I what to know if it will make a $500 sound improvement over my BH2 which is already awesome.

 

IMG_1312.jpg


Edited by Barra - 11/1/13 at 12:37pm
post #219 of 929

Portaphile 627 is accepted one of the best amps ever produced but due to its pathetic battery life, it couldn't get much attention I am afraid. I don't know much about 627X, is it just 627 with bigger battery / size?

post #220 of 929

Have you noticed that DX50 shape is slightly chamfered in similar fashion as Quickstep. So you could claim that it's actually perfect match for Quickstep:)

post #221 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 

Portaphile 627 is accepted one of the best amps ever produced but due to its pathetic battery life, it couldn't get much attention I am afraid. I don't know much about 627X, is it just 627 with bigger battery / size?

The 627x is supposed to be the same design with case accommodating a 10 hour vs. 627 4 hour battery. Rudi hear a different signature though when comparing his friends 627/627x. The x provided more clarity throughout with the 627 sounding more tube amp like. That was the only comparison I could find. I was hoping to find someone that had paired it with the DX50 to see how it does.

post #222 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

Yeah, I know I already ordered the Quickstep, but does anyone around here have experience with the Ibasso T5?
I've wondered that as well, also if there is anyone that heard the Ibasso D42 as well?
post #223 of 929
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
 

The 627x is supposed to be the same design with case accommodating a 10 hour vs. 627 4 hour battery. Rudi hear a different signature though when comparing his friends 627/627x. The x provided more clarity throughout with the 627 sounding more tube amp like. That was the only comparison I could find. I was hoping to find someone that had paired it with the DX50 to see how it does.

Rudi can also hear the difference between two different SD cards, so... :rolleyes: 

 

Regarding the 627; I'd rather get the regular 627 and use it with a charger at my desk than the 627X. Unless I was shopping for something to double as a blunt weapon and/or doorstop.


Edited by Sorensiim - 11/1/13 at 3:34pm
post #224 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

Yeah, I know I already ordered the Quickstep, but does anyone around here have experience with the Ibasso T5?

I had the amp for the length of the return period and I ended up returning it. The device actually died because of heavy static and it popped like hell but when it worked it was nice. The size of the buttons drove me crazy, if you have fat fingers forget it. I wanted to replace my T3D and the T5 made sense then. Am I glad I returned it , the pico performs way better and it is rock solid, the output were about comparable however the pico had the edge. I hope it answered your question; my take stay away from it it isn't wort it.
post #225 of 929
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopaminer View Post
 

PB2 ?  RSA something?   I need to drive my iems AND my HD800s  

 

The Meier stuff sounds great, but due to my worse-than-OCD E.A.R condition ( Extreme Anal Retentiveness), there is no way I can have something shaped like that in my life, never mind strapped to my DAP.  

I bought the Meier because of the fantastic sound. The shape of the Meier is the reason I'm still looking at amps...If I had the HD800 I'd probably just order an Intruder and be done with it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › So, I'm looking for that perfect amp...