Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › So, I'm looking for that perfect amp...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So, I'm looking for that perfect amp... - Page 13

post #181 of 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 


Interesting, I shall look into this, I see it didn't support the dual outputs though, a little has changed.


Yes, I forgot about that. Some slight changes to both over the years. The Little Dot also changed the Hi Gain from 8 to 4 as well.  It was 500mw into 32ohm, now it's 300. Still plenty of power.

Either one at $100 is a great buy.  The C&C has a slightly bigger soundstage, the Dot has a deeper tighter Bass and a tad cleaner from top to bottom, plus a little more power.

 It really comes down to flavor. Myself pick the Dot, for the cleaner sound and power.  $100 is not a lot of money for a great amp, either way!!  I'll give the C&C a plus for the battery being able to be changed the Dot is soldered on.

post #182 of 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicman74 View Post


Yes, I forgot about that. Some slight changes to both over the years. The Little Dot also changed the Hi Gain from 8 to 4 as well.  It was 500mw into 32ohm, now it's 300. Still plenty of power.
Either one at $100 is a great buy.  The C&C has a slightly bigger soundstage, the Dot has a deeper tighter Bass and a tad cleaner from top to bottom, plus a little more power.
 It really comes down to flavor. Myself pick the Dot, for the cleaner sound and power.  $100 is not a lot of money for a great amp, either way!!  I'll give the C&C a plus for the battery being able to be changed the Dot is soldered on.

I'm going to probably take your wisdom and give that fanmusic amp a try, just need to check with the seller getting it through customs with the battery as there's been a major crack down with Hong Kong customs. I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge behind this though as I'm going to check how the they compete. You know, I've seen that fanmusic amp around but with some history behind it now peaked my interest.

Cheers.
Edited by H20Fidelity - 10/30/13 at 1:22pm
post #183 of 909
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 

Looking forward to read your comments ;)

Only a day late and I'm now listening to the DX50 -> Quickstep -> Tzar 350. On high gain, these 350 ohm detail monsters reach my usual listening level at 30% volume and the Quickstep is still sounding perfectly clean with a pitch black background.

 

I think I'll just order a quickstep and call it a day. I might have figured out a way to fit the QS with the 12V battery from the R1 amp and maybe even the charging circuit but I guess I really ought to order one of my own before I break out the soldering gear...

post #184 of 909
Thread Starter 

Seriously, the Tzar 350 is a quirky little IEM. It is not for everyone. It demands the highest quality recordings and the cleanest sounding gear as they are MERCILESS. Anything and everything will be picked up and thrown unfiltered at your eardrums. Poorly mastered compressed files or amps with even the slightest grain will be a pleasure only to the most masochistic of head-fiers. But when you get it right, they beat the ER4 when it comes to clarity and detail retrival. Oh and the 350 ohm impedance quickly dispatches the usual small iem amps. 

 

The Quickstep gets the Tzar 350 seal of approval. It is driving them comfortably and the background is pitch black while it's doing it. Only downside is that I have discovered a very faint background hiss on Agnes Obel's album "Aventine". But only very faint. All of my listening to the Tzar/Meier combo this morning was done with the stack placed on top of my phone. 3G data, texts and calls - No RFI. Nada, zip, zilch. 

 

I just an email to Jan Meier: "One black Quickstep, bitte". 

post #185 of 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post
 

Seriously, the Tzar 350 is a quirky little IEM. It is not for everyone. It demands the highest quality recordings and the cleanest sounding gear as they are MERCILESS. Anything and everything will be picked up and thrown unfiltered at your eardrums. Poorly mastered compressed files or amps with even the slightest grain will be a pleasure only to the most masochistic of head-fiers. But when you get it right, they beat the ER4 when it comes to clarity and detail retrival. Oh and the 350 ohm impedance quickly dispatches the usual small iem amps. 

 

The Quickstep gets the Tzar 350 seal of approval. It is driving them comfortably and the background is pitch black while it's doing it. Only downside is that I have discovered a very faint background hiss on Agnes Obel's album "Aventine". But only very faint. All of my listening to the Tzar/Meier combo this morning was done with the stack placed on top of my phone. 3G data, texts and calls - No RFI. Nada, zip, zilch. 

 

I just an email to Jan Meier: "One black Quickstep, bitte". 

Nice!

 

Only, Jan is actually a Dutch person that moved to germany, so you should send him: "Een zwarte quickstep alstublieft".

post #186 of 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post
 

Seriously, the Tzar 350 is a quirky little IEM. It is not for everyone. It demands the highest quality recordings and the cleanest sounding gear as they are MERCILESS. Anything and everything will be picked up and thrown unfiltered at your eardrums. Poorly mastered compressed files or amps with even the slightest grain will be a pleasure only to the most masochistic of head-fiers. But when you get it right, they beat the ER4 when it comes to clarity and detail retrival. Oh and the 350 ohm impedance quickly dispatches the usual small iem amps.

 

The Quickstep gets the Tzar 350 seal of approval. It is driving them comfortably and the background is pitch black while it's doing it. Only downside is that I have discovered a very faint background hiss on Agnes Obel's album "Aventine". But only very faint. All of my listening to the Tzar/Meier combo this morning was done with the stack placed on top of my phone. 3G data, texts and calls - No RFI. Nada, zip, zilch.

 

I just an email to Jan Meier: "One black Quickstep, bitte". 

Wow, congrats on purchase then. You make me feel like getting it too while there is a discount but I guess a dap is more important in my case so I shall wait ;)

post #187 of 909
Thread Starter 

It's being shipped today and Jan Meier just confirmed that yes, I could totally hook a 12V battery to the DC input of the Quickstep. Building a rechargeable 12V quickstep in a regular rectangular case should be a fun little project :D

post #188 of 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post
 

It's being shipped today and Jan Meier just confirmed that yes, I could totally hook a 12V battery to the DC input of the Quickstep. Building a rechargeable 12V quickstep in a regular rectangular case should be a fun little project :D

I ain't a fortune teller but I can see your future. I see "fun" there :D

post #189 of 909
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 

I ain't a fortune teller but I can see your future. I see "fun" there :D

Fun and/or electrocution.

post #190 of 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post
 

Fun and/or electrocution.

I was considering you as a careful guy :happy_face1:

post #191 of 909
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 

I was considering you as a careful guy :happy_face1:

I broke my own elbow with a hammer once. And sawed myself in the thigh. I love working with tools, I'm just not very good at it.

post #192 of 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post
 

I broke my own elbow with a hammer once. And sawed myself in the thigh. I love working with tools, I'm just not very good at it.

I felt a slight disturbance in your future, you might want to take some extra steps to ensure your safety while working with those daps :happy_face1:

post #193 of 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post
I just an email to Jan Meier: "One black Quickstep, bitte". 

Congrats on the decision!  Please keep this thread rolling...  I like it very much.  One man's journey through his DX50, amp, and iem gear. And possibly a little DIY and amputation thrown in for good measure.  All this, with his friends throwing in comments and suggestions.  It's nice to read a positive thread with very little bickering and whining.

 

By the way.  I'm listening to JJ Grey and Mofro right now through the DX50 and AKG702s.  No amp.  If you like rock and roll-swamp blues, and don't know JJ Grey, I highly recommend everything he has done, and his latest "This River" is an awesome place to start.  I'm listening to the Blackwater album before work this morning and his song Ho-cakes has me cracking up.

 

But back on track.  Way to go with the Meier!  I know you will love it.  Let us know when it arrives and how the break-in goes and how it opens up, etc.

post #194 of 909
Thread Starter 

I'll be sure to keep you guys posted, even if it means typing with my toes after attempting to use tools. I just had a look on the R1 pcb and while I could probably break off the charging circuit and fit it back in the R1 case along with the quickstep PCB, my neanderthal brain just realised that cutting the R1 pcb would most certainly kill the R1.

 

Time to scrounge a 12V charging circuit off something else...

post #195 of 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post
 

I'll be sure to keep you guys posted, even if it means typing with my toes after attempting to use tools. I just had a look on the R1 pcb and while I could probably break off the charging circuit and fit it back in the R1 case along with the quickstep PCB, my neanderthal brain just realised that cutting the R1 pcb would most certainly kill the R1.

 

Time to scrounge a 12V charging circuit off something else...

Are you just wanting to do this project for the lolz? The quickstep runs fine from 9v batteries right? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › So, I'm looking for that perfect amp...