Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure announcing new SRH1540 in Tokyo today! - Head-Fi TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure announcing new SRH1540 in Tokyo today! - Head-Fi TV - Page 31

post #451 of 492

Is SRH1540 good for movies ?

post #452 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio-Omega View Post
 

Is SRH1540 good for movies ?

Not bad. Great comfort, theater like strong bass, and decent sound stage.

post #453 of 492

After listening to these headphones for about a week, I have to say that they are phenomenal warm headphones. I love warm headphones, a result of my taste in music, but I don't enjoy bloated base or lack of detail in the mid and high range, such as from the  MDR-XB800. The 1540 don't suffer from bloated veil inducing bass. The 1540's have very deep solid bass when needed, but you don't notice it when it isn't called for. They are definitely a warm headphone though, and for many audiophiles they are probably too warm. I do notice some harshness in the high end, and especially after listening to them for an hour or so, depending on the music I have to take a break. I have owned AKG K271 MKII headphones, and I own a pair of Etymotic ER4P IEMs. If you prefer that sound then these headphones are probably not for you. They are comparable to the HD650 or the HE-500 in sound signature, although I would say that the mid and high end are more detailed than on the HD650, can't say for sure in regards to the HE-500's as I didn't listen to them for as long as the HD650's. I say that having auditioned both of them before purchasing the 1540's.

 

Headphones I own or have owned for reference: Etymotic ER4P (Red and Blue), AKG K271 MK II, Ultrasone HFI-580, Sony MDR-R1, Sony MDR-XB800, Heir Audio 4.a. Out of those I got rid of the AKG's, way too little weight behind the music for my enjoyment. I probably wouldn't want much more bass than the 1540 provides for critical listening.

 

I have some Ultrasone Pro 900's that I bought off the classifieds coming in about a week, so it will be interesting to see how they compare to the 1540's.

post #454 of 492

Do they isolate well compared to other closed headphones ?

post #455 of 492

Isolation is first class.

post #456 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio-Omega View Post
 

Do they isolate well compared to other closed headphones ?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveTrains View Post
 

Isolation is first class.

 

I didn't feel like they isolated that well (compared to the Alpha Dogs, Beyer T5p, Ultrasone Signature DJ, Perfect Sound Dido D901s, etc.) and they leak at higher than normal volumes as well. Not "open-back" leakage but they do leak. So isolation was "meh" for me and these 2 points were the main reason I decided to sell them.

post #457 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveTrains View Post
 

Isolation is first class.

Hmm I disagree...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio-Omega View Post
 

Do they isolate well compared to other closed headphones ?

They are decent, but not really good...

post #458 of 492

this VS the alpha dog is a close call as far as I read. This has to be way more comfortable I think. I need to find a way to test both.

post #459 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varoudis View Post
 

this VS the alpha dog is a close call as far as I read. This has to be way more comfortable I think. I need to find a way to test both.

 

They are more comfy than the ADs... The ADs are comfortable but they weigh more, the Shure's are very very light!

post #460 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post
 

 

They are more comfy than the ADs... The ADs are comfortable but they weigh more, the Shure's are very very light!

But is the sound quality different 'more' that the comfort? It seems that you have both headphones from your signature.

post #461 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varoudis View Post
 

But is the sound quality different 'more' that the comfort? It seems that you have both headphones from your signature.

 

All I can say is that I no longer own the Shure's... ;-)

post #462 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post
 

 

 

I didn't feel like they isolated that well (compared to the Alpha Dogs, Beyer T5p, Ultrasone Signature DJ, Perfect Sound Dido D901s, etc.) and they leak at higher than normal volumes as well. Not "open-back" leakage but they do leak. So isolation was "meh" for me and these 2 points were the main reason I decided to sell them.

The porous pads are probably the greatest contributors to leakage.

post #463 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post


I didn't feel like they isolated that well (compared to the Alpha Dogs, Beyer T5p, Ultrasone Signature DJ, Perfect Sound Dido D901s, etc.) and they leak at higher than normal volumes as well. Not "open-back" leakage but they do leak. So isolation was "meh" for me and these 2 points were the main reason I decided to sell them.

Did you ever try the Alpha pads on the 1540, like I suggested? If not, then you really missed out on the full potential on these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

The porous pads are probably the greatest contributors to leakage.

The Alpha pads not only refine the sound... but fix the leakage issue, as well.
Edited by Change is Good - 2/5/14 at 9:36am
post #464 of 492

any idea when these might go on sale again? want to pick up a pair but they're 499$ everywhere :(

post #465 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by phouma View Post

any idea when these might go on sale again? want to pick up a pair but they're 499$ everywhere frown.gif

Try to email earphone solutions and ask them if they can offer a discount.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure announcing new SRH1540 in Tokyo today! - Head-Fi TV