Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Any reason not to get a Schiit Lyr/Bitfrost for HiFiMan HE-500
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any reason not to get a Schiit Lyr/Bitfrost for HiFiMan HE-500

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I'm looking at purchasing the Schiit Lyr/Bitfrost combo for my HiFiMan HE-500 cans.  This will be my main home rig and will be feeding signal from my music collection on my custom built PC tower.

 

I'm hoping the Lyr will be powerful enough that I would not have to upgrade down the road should I decide to pick up another set of cans like the HE-6 or similar.  Plus I can always do some tube rolling to keep things interesting or to better suite different cans.

 

I also know the Bitfrost is easily upgraded by Schiit with their modular plug ins.  So with that in mind I shouldnt need to be buying a whole new unit if/when the time comes.

 

Another factor is price the Lyr/Bitfrost with USB upgrade is under $1000.

 

So based on these facts would it be safe to go with this combo or is there a reason I shouldnt?

post #2 of 9

I am looking at this combo too

bifrost will be hooked up to appleTV2

Lyr with my B&K stuff until I get the jolida repaired

Let me know what you decide and how it sounds

 

MK

post #3 of 9

The Lyr should not be that good with the HE-6

post #4 of 9

Have you considered the Project Ember from Garage1217 instead of a Lyr? It's a bit cheaper, has less power (still decent though), and is much easier to roll tubes with compared to the Lyr. Also if you are into a bit of DIY, it's a pretty easy project to build if you have the tools handy.

post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 

The Lyr should not be that good with the HE-6

Could you please elaborate?  Also what about the HE-500?  I dont own HE-6 so its a moot point right now.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjapirate9901 View Post
 

Have you considered the Project Ember from Garage1217 instead of a Lyr? It's a bit cheaper, has less power (still decent though), and is much easier to roll tubes with compared to the Lyr. Also if you are into a bit of DIY, it's a pretty easy project to build if you have the tools handy.

Yes I have looked at the Project Ember.  What about it makes it easier to tube roll vs the Lyr?  (Sorry noob at this)

 

Any input on the Bitfrost?


Edited by HiloDB1 - 10/24/13 at 12:34pm
post #6 of 9
The lyr should be very good with the he-500. The ember should be good as well
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDB1 View Post
 

Could you please elaborate?  Also what about the HE-500?  I dont own HE-6 so its a moot point right now.

 

Yes I have looked at the Project Ember.  What about it makes it easier to tube roll vs the Lyr?  (Sorry noob at this)

 

Any input on the Bitfrost?

The Ember is compatible with a wide range of tubes, both 6 and 12V, and is able to handle either without messing with biasing or anything. Also there is only a single tube to worry about instead of two (which halves cost, and trust me tubes can't get quite expensive). Also the tube itself is much more accessible and easier to pull out/mount in. The Lyr has it's sockets a bit within the chassis so it can be quite annoying to actually grasp the tube to pull out, as well as hard to see the socket to put a tube back in. A pair of socket savers essentially alleviates this issue though.

 

The Bifrost is solid, I ended up switching to a Yulong D100 MkII to try something decent as well as have access to balanced outputs (was originally planning on seeing what the Mjolnir was like but have still yet to go fully balanced). I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Bifrost if you do get one. 

post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjapirate9901 View Post
 

The Ember is compatible with a wide range of tubes, both 6 and 12V, and is able to handle either without messing with biasing or anything. Also there is only a single tube to worry about instead of two (which halves cost, and trust me tubes can't get quite expensive). Also the tube itself is much more accessible and easier to pull out/mount in. The Lyr has it's sockets a bit within the chassis so it can be quite annoying to actually grasp the tube to pull out, as well as hard to see the socket to put a tube back in. A pair of socket savers essentially alleviates this issue though.

 

The Bifrost is solid, I ended up switching to a Yulong D100 MkII to try something decent as well as have access to balanced outputs (was originally planning on seeing what the Mjolnir was like but have still yet to go fully balanced). I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Bifrost if you do get one. 


Would the Ember have the power to drive a set of HE-6's if I ever get a set?  I'm real interested in the Ember the more I look into it.

post #9 of 9

No, it won't

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Any reason not to get a Schiit Lyr/Bitfrost for HiFiMan HE-500