I've been searching for a pair of closed headphones for more than 6 months.
I'm searching for a headphone to use with my iPhone, but also at home.
(at home I have a yamaha receiver connected to my computer via optical connection)
A. Searching for headphonesand options:
Lliving in Bucharest, Romania I didn't had so many chances to hear a lot of headphones since they tend not to display them, but just keeping them in sealed boxes around here, silly I know. Yet recently I had my chances. From one dealer that shipped to a showroom a pair for me to listen, thru a visit to a local reseller of sennhaiser, to a couple of stores that displayed some nice cands, in new mall near a business center a got the chance to listen to some stuff.
B. What I own:
I own a pair of sony MDR ZX700, actually my wife has them at work for the most of the time, but I get when she will allow me to have them.
I am happy with their sound for the price, and with the build quality also for the price.
C. What I think I want:
1. I would very much to step up my listening experience.
1.1I won't buy a portable amp fot my iPhone - I like it to fit my jeans pocket and I would hate to carry extra weight, and going to the trouble of connecting disconnecting stuff to answer a call or to connect it to my car stereo. I might buy one in future for home use but now is not the time $$$$.
2. I would like to be isolated from outside noise without sacrificing sound quality!
3. It has to be a lasting headphone since I would spend a considerable amount on it (at least for me it is a considerable amount of menoy). As I said i might go up to 400$ actually Euros.
4. Last but not least I might enjoy a build quality such as the one of the V-moda M100's (even if i never touched or seen live a pair the reputation got to me)
D. What I have tested:
1. Sennhaiser Momentum - wrong size!!! tested 3 - 2 were to small - brown version, black version seemed a tad larger strange or i might have found a better position on my ears but still silly small for an over ear.
I liked very much the sound, but didn't loved the can: maybe the soundstage, maybe some other stuff definitely the fit!
also I wonder about the friction mechanism durability - the one for adjusting the headband size (cups position)
2. Yamaha Pro500 - too expensive for what it is
Squeaking plastic, strange lows, but somehow I have never heard some details in some tracks in the upper mids ot highs as I have heard with this can! I believe it might be also fatiguing after a while
3. Focal spirit one - what a clamping force!!!
also nobody here seems to know the diver problem, new/old casing solution.
I didn't disliked the sound, but the driver option and some pics with a broken pair (posted here on head-fi if i remember correctly)
made me aware abandon this mission to!
4. Beats: dre, studio 2013, executive - well... not for me, not for my music
5. Denon d400
I had just a quck listen - not bad, bassy but not bad - not sure about details, again very quick listen.
ugly-ish... nice sound
6. Bose QC15 - you never know when you need that kind of isolation - I might just buy them at one point
7. Sony MDR -1R never get the chance to listen just the NC an the BT but I know the sound in different and I like the brown/silver version
8. Phidelio L1 - nice, but i want my privacy, isolation, etc etc...
E. Help. Please help!
I've seen recently some new stuff wich gave me more to deal with:
Beoplay H6 - they were the reason why a raised the price limit - just based on 2 reviews.
I listen to a lot of music, genres: from Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Sepultura, Rodriguez, Tito and Tarantula, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Warrior's Code to Meredith Monk, Andrew Bird, Laura Veiris, The Tiger Lillies, Frank Zappa, Tuxedomoon some stuff like Blockhead, Nightmares On Wax or stuff like Funkadelic, Gogol Bordello, La Brass Banda, John Coltrane... some local Hip-hop sometimes classic music, rarely but still... so a lot of music, a lot of kinds.
At home I listen mostly flac 96/24 or cd quality, losses, sometimes i listen also to mp3s, but I am buying new music, at high quality.
I am searching for a headphone that not only will play beautifully but educate me into music into what was on the recording, ad how it was intended for me to experience while working at my computer* in Photoshop, writing e-mails, taking photographs in various places** while being also able to answer a phone call .
*connected via optical cable to my yamaha reciever or in the future ti a desktop amp
** wile connected to my iPhone with no extra amplifying.
Thank you, guys firstly for being patient enough to read all this, and then thank you for the future suggestions.