Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › New headphones search - Need "fun"/ "punchy" /"warm" with atleast a little bit of a soundstage, and easy to drive.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New headphones search - Need "fun"/ "punchy" /"warm" with atleast a little bit of a soundstage,...

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Hey head-fi newcomer here.

 

Primary use is about 60/40 in favor of music, then gaming. So that is why I need atleast a bit of a soundstage, not just plain stereo headphones.

Music - metal, with some rock but mostly just really heavy/fast/melodic metal. Inflames/dark tranquility/disarmonia mundi etc

 

I tried the creative aruvana lives(CALS!) and loved the sound signature, it was amazing for someone just starting like me. They were so lively and fun, and sounded great in gaming as they had a decent sound stage aswell.

The comfort of these were terrible for me, I understand it's either a love or hate with them and I hated the comfort. They were to small and crushed my ears.

 

 

So I sent them back and ordered the beyer DT990 250 pro's, as a bit of research shown me that they are supposed to be beyers "fun" model. With great bass, and amazing soundstage. Though I have no intention of amping, so they sadly sound awful to me.

I got them for there comfort recommendations and they are amazingly comfortable, they really are and very well made. My plan was so buy them first then amp them later down the line, but the sound is so bad imo unamped compared to the CALS at half the price, so I am returning them. They have high sibilance that hurt my ears, and without the amp to tighten the bass they are very boomy and drown everything else out.

 

 

Budget = $160 max.

Easy to drive

Decent punchy bass

open or closed but prefer closed, as I share a room with a significant other.

warm sounding and great for metal, no other music genre matters to me.

Decent sound stage, doesn't have to be amazing or even great, just decent enough for gaming.

 

 

Are there any headphones out there that tick all those boxes, or am I being to picky specific within my budget?

 

Ones I am looking at:

Brainwavz hm5, though I don't know if they are going to be to natural and laid back for metal.

Audio tech ah-m50 - Only due to the overwhelming number of recommendations everywhere. Though they have no soundstage.
Ultransone hifi-50  They were my top pic but after googling some threads in here, people are saying they are bad for metal but good for dance/rap/hip hop/rnb etc

Grado sr80i - tempted, but I need comfortable headphones and these have no soundstage

post #2 of 15

K550?

post #3 of 15

I've heard the m50's have decently good soundstage for being closed headphones but definitely aren't near as good as open headphones get. You could also look into the Shure SRH-840's, I hear they may even be better than the m50's. The only other suggestion I'd have is to try to find some Beyerdynamic DT-770's that have been used because they are supposed to have amazing soundstage for closed headphones and a warm sound with lots of bass!

post #4 of 15

If you found the DT990 too bright, then you probably wouldn't like Grados or Ultrasone. 

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 

Tried the shure840's really didn't like them comfort wise, they were the second pair I ever got. Got them used for $98, returned them 4 days later.

 

I don't really mind the brightness of the 990's it's just really the washed out dull lifeless sound they have atm because I have and plan on having no amp for a while.

 

Also don't the beyer 770's need amping aswell? How are the 80ohm pro version of the 770's, they are $200-$220 though.

post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyforger View Post

Grado sr80i - tempted, but I need comfortable headphones and these have no soundstage

Not true. It's just the soundstage is like you are on stage with the band, extending across you, rather than in front of you. Much better soundstage to me than the M50s--and almost all closed headphones I have heard. Since you are into metal, worth giving a try even if you have to return them. They have great transient response for rendering guitar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyforger View Post

Brainwavz hm5, though I don't know if they are going to be to natural and laid back for metal.

Look also into the NVX Audio XPT100. Those, the HM5s, the Fischer Audio FA-003 (and others) are made by the same manufacturer and rebranded. These also have a flexible headband and two sets of earpads to try.
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 

How will the the hm5's and other rebrands perform with metal and rock? Are they fun/warm at all, or very neutral laid back?

 

Amazon have the nvx's for $99.99. The brainwavz hm5s are $130, is there any difference?


Edited by skyforger - 10/21/13 at 4:26pm
post #8 of 15
Dt 990 although may need a little to drive.
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsprayer View Post

Dt 990 although may need a little to drive.

 

 

Hahaha, that is hilarious. After you read the thread, you will see why that's funny(returning the dt990's tomorrow for w/e I decide on in here). I really do want to keep the dt990's the build quality/the look of them and the comfort are perfect.

 

The sound is terrible without an amp though, and I have no budget for an amp for a while. I have to put them to 80-90 percent volume, in video games. They are giving me a head ache from the piercing sibilance aswell. Tried watching some movies, and when people speak at the end of there words there is a high pitched SSSSSSSSSS, that just pierces your brain.


Edited by skyforger - 10/21/13 at 4:59pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyforger View Post
 

 

 

Hahaha, that is hilarious. After you read the thread, you will see why that's funny(returning the dt990's tomorrow for w/e I decide on in here). I really do want to keep the dt990's the build quality/the look of them and the comfort are perfect.

 

The sound is terrible without an amp though, and I have no budget for an amp for a while. I have to put them to 80-90 percent volume, in video games. They are giving me a head ache from the piercing sibilance aswell. Tried watching some movies, and when people speak at the end of there words there is a high pitched SSSSSSSSSS, that just pierces your brain.

It's as simple as getting a Fiio E10 when you can afford it. Although, i'll be using one without an amp for a while as I just bought one. I hope it isn't that bad :O

post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsprayer View Post
 

It's as simple as getting a Fiio E10 when you can afford it. Although, i'll be using one without an amp for a while as I just bought one. I hope it isn't that bad :O

That was my exact plan, get headphones now and wait for an amp. I am not making this up, they are just plain boring/lifeless compared to the $80 CALS because I am not amping these yet. They are so bad, that I can't wait the 4+ months I was going to for an amp.

I just feel they are wasted money, as they are giving me headaches, they are awful for movies as you need to turn them up very loud but when you do they sibilance becomes VERY apparent.

 

I am running it off my msi gaming motherboard, which has the "decent" onboard soundcard the 1150. Even then it's still terrible. I mean, whats the point in paying $170 and them sounding worse than $90 because I can't drive them.

 

I mean you might be happy with them, but I just didn't feel like the music was doing anything for me at all when I was listening through the dt990s unamped.


Edited by skyforger - 10/21/13 at 5:03pm
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 

I think my only option might be to get ones for gaming now, then save up and get a dedicated set of cans for music.

 

Not seeing much in terms of gaming though, I feel mad lust envies guide is outdated with not many options in the $100-$200 section.

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyforger View Post
 

I think my only option might be to get ones for gaming now, then save up and get a dedicated set of cans for music.

 

Not seeing much in terms of gaming though, I feel mad lust envies guide is outdated with not many options in the $100-$200 section.

Consider breaking in time maybe play music on a medium volume for a few nights?

post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 

Stretched my budget a bit and went for the sony MA900's after seeing mad lust envie's recommendation and the appreciation thread. Hopefully will sound great.

post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyforger View Post
 

Stretched my budget a bit and went for the sony MA900's after seeing mad lust envie's recommendation and the appreciation thread. Hopefully will sound great.


how about x1?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › New headphones search - Need "fun"/ "punchy" /"warm" with atleast a little bit of a soundstage, and easy to drive.