or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Need Recommendations for Durable ~$100 Closed Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need Recommendations for Durable ~$100 Closed Headphones

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Firstly, this is my first post on the forums, hello everybody, it's good to be apart of the community. :)

 

As the title says, I'm looking for durable, over ear, closed, good-looking headphones. I want something that I can wear in public and not make myself look like an idiot, but also be able to thrown in my tennis bag and survive being knocked around a bit. Currently I have Sennheiser HD428s, which I can't complain about at all; they sound good (not that I have anything better to compare them to) and look decent, I wouldn't feel safe carrying them around in my tennis bag however though. As of now I'm looking at the ATH-M50s. They seem like they're durable enough, and I really like the fact that you can fold them up. They are also about $100, a little over, but I don't mind stretching the budget. Any recommendations are appreciated. :)

 

My setup:

Creative Audigy 4 SB0610 (Yes, I know it's old, got it free from work though :p )

Ipod Touch 4g


Edited by Benjio - 10/18/13 at 7:26pm
post #2 of 13

Hi!

 

What kind of music do you usually listen to?

Do you prefer headphones with powerful bass, and good sub bass response or (mid and high frequency) detailed sounding headphones?

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me x3 View Post
 

Hi!

 

What kind of music do you usually listen to?

Do you prefer headphones with powerful bass, and good sub bass response or (mid and high frequency) detailed sounding headphones?

I listen to a lot of Pink Floyd, also Led Zeppelin and other classical rock. I would like some bass, it does not have to be over powering or anything though, I think something in between would work fine with me, as long as they sound good I don't care too much.

post #4 of 13
If you want the most durable headphones ever ( in my opinion short of a tank driving over them ) with a bass emphasis the V-moda Crossfade LP is a good choice at $100-$110 ( the phantom chrome is $100 but hovering between $100-106 on amazon) and they do sound a lot better after you burn them in.



If you want a neutral sounding pair but same durability the V-moda Crossfade M/V- 80 ( V-80 is just a trueblood re-branding) is a good pair for On-ear headphone.


The ATH-M50 is also a solid choice as well
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post

If you want the most durable headphones ever ( in my opinion short of a tank driving over them ) with a bass emphasis the V-moda Crossfade LP is a good choice at $100-$110 ( the phantom chrome is $100 but hovering between $100-106 on amazon) and they do sound a lot better after you burn them in.



If you want a neutral sounding pair but same durability the V-moda Crossfade M/V- 80 ( V-80 is just a trueblood re-branding) is a good pair for On-ear headphone.


The ATH-M50 is also a solid choice as well

For some reason I never really liked the look of V-moda headphones (normally I wouldn't care, I want to use these headphones for more public use though), I appreciate the suggestion though.

post #6 of 13
I love the look of V-moda and love my M-100 which i would suggest hands down if you wanted to pay $300 for them smily_headphones1.gif
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post

I love the look of V-moda and love my M-100 which i would suggest hands down if you wanted to pay $300 for them smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure they're great headphones, I just for some reason can't stand the look of the 6-sided metal plate on the sides.

post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjio View Post
 

I'm sure they're great headphones, I just for some reason can't stand the look of the 6-sided metal plate on the sides.


Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) closed headphones, $50 on eBay.

post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 


Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) closed headphones, $50 on eBay.

Are you sure I'd be able to drive those? I'd prefer if I didn't have to buy an amp, especially since these headphones are meant for travel. 

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjio View Post
 

Are you sure I'd be able to drive those? I'd prefer if I didn't have to buy an amp, especially since these headphones are meant for travel. 


JVC HA-S500, folding on-ear headphones, $60

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 


JVC HA-S500, folding on-ear headphones, $60

Those look very tempting, just what I was looking for. How would you say they compare to ATH-M50s in terms of sound?

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjio View Post
 

Those look very tempting, just what I was looking for. How would you say they compare to ATH-M50s in terms of sound?


Not the thumping bass of the ATh-M50s, but the HA-S500s should be a match, maybe even better in some areas, then the ATH-M50s.

 

The JVCHA-S500 (& HA-S400) use Carbon Nanotube in the diaphragms :)

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 


Not the thumping bass of the ATh-M50s, but the HA-S500s should be a match, maybe even better in some areas, then the ATH-M50s.

 

The JVCHA-S500 (& HA-S400) use Carbon Nanotube in the diaphragms :)

Thanks so much for the reply, I guess it's hard to say no to headphones like these that sound that good and are that cheap. You've made my first thread on here quite a good experience, I'll be looking forward to posting on here again. :atsmile:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Need Recommendations for Durable ~$100 Closed Headphones