- 216 Posts. Joined 9/2013
- Location: Brooklyn, NY
- Select All Posts By This User
- productMonster® DNA In-Ear Headphones with ControlTalk™ for Apple - Blacktagged by iphiclus1, 11/1/13
- productMonster DNA On-Ear Headphonetagged by iphiclus1, 11/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Spent the day listening to various headphones around town. 10 cans tested Last post on 3/28/14 at 5:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What is the warranty on Monster DNA in-ear? Last post on 3/3/14 at 11:12am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best bang for the buck Portable Headphone Amp suited best for ATH-M50 and Monster DNA (Not... Last post on 11/19/13 at 2:27pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sol republic track HD's, V-MODA crossfade M-80's or the Monster DNA??? Last post on 9/9/13 at 7:50pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- V Moda M80 vs Monster DNA Last post on 9/6/13 at 12:49pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
I use them continuously: during the commuting in the subway, on the plane, at home and in the office for my conference calls. I was expecting much lower musical quality from a BT can, but actually...
I spend my working days far from home and I was looking for something compact with two specific characteristics: keep the same feeling that I have when I listen to the Sennheiser HD650 driven by...
Best i-Device portable DAC ever listened to, very neutral and smooth like from a desktop DAC. Currently using it with my iPod touch 5 (Yes, it's support lightinig connector). I will prefer filter...
The entire Sony xba line is gorgeous: very sensitive and well executed lines, comfortable despite size, flat cable, nice case, a 90'plug. The first time I tried the Xba3 the sound wasn't...
I purchased this on Amazon from a vendor that had a combined listing for the older model and newer E07 Andes. So I received the new model at the old model price and saved about $20. So that was...
Monster DNA in-ear?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
what with Dr Dre leaving the company, I'd expect that there'd be improvements, when the ceo was interviewed, he was showing off the vektr and tears and he thinks they're better, and so far they've had mixed reviews... I know skullcandy have upped their game a lot, it used to be just the aviators that were competitive, but now the newer edition of hesh seems to have improved, I haven't tested out many other models so I can't vouch for all of them, and maybe monster is copying the trend, the other day I did actually see it in the sponsor's window at the bottom of the page, hope this helps :)
Design: Seems to be made of plastic. Pretty good build quality. Really like the fact that it has the triangle thing like the DNA headphones.
Comfort: Pretty light (not that I have heavy earphones- I'm only 14). Comes with a pack with quite a few eartips. At first, they weren't comfy and kept falling out, but then I found the pack of eartips and I adjusted them to my liking.
Durability/Portability: Feel they should last a good while, not sure yet. Comes with a pretty nifty case.
Sound Quality: I listen to a lot of different genres, predominantly EDM.
Songs I tested out:
Coldplay - Paradise: An alright experience. Vocals were a bit muffled, Instruments too. Clearer than iBeats, though, I'll give you that. Could be louder.
Eminem - Berzerk: Bass was adequate. Could understand Eminem's every word, except when he raps incredibly fast. Mids were filling. A little too much treble, but it didn't bother me too much. Could be louder.
Mark Knight and Funkagenda - Man With The Red Face (Hardwell Edit): This is where they shine, if you ask me. Bass is superb. Very Clear. Whatever sounds they use in the song, you can hear. ASTOUNDING CLARITY. Could be louder.
In short: Very clear. Bass is pretty good and tight, but not overwhelming in any way. Treble is slightly increased. Mids are laid back, not as filling as I would want, but still doesn't bother me. So are they worth it? For their asking price ($99.99), HELL NO. For the black Friday price (49.99$), Probably, if you get a protection plan. Thanks for reading. Im in no way an audiophile, so if you want, you can take my review with a grain of salt. This is my opinion, however.
I just bought those Monster DNA today, along with the JVC HA-FX3X. The DNA are very bad : loose bass all over the place, very recessed midrange and ackward denatured bizarre treble ! The JVC FX3X on the other hand, are a fun beast : they have that kind of sound that, while not neutral at all, is very fun to listen to. For an extra bass earphone, they have a balanced sound. Music is actually very enjoyable throught the JVC.
With the Monster DNA, you have a very dark, muffled sound with no details, yuk ! A few years ago, I tried the Monster Turbine and was really impressed by the sound, but the fit was poor. I can't believe the DNA come out from the same company, with this botched sound.
But my best overall sounding earphone, with accurate bass, midrange and treble, is the Monoprice 9927 at 7,65$ - sometimes life has no sense with things like that...
Just picked these up for a great price and have to say I'm quite suprised by the look and sound of these things. My first Monster IEM. They are slightly big like Sony XB60EX but caution is needed not to push it too far inside the ear canal otherwise you're gonna yell in pain. The moment I put it on, it blocked the outside world (isolation was far superior than any passive ear cushion I ever used).
The sound was not to bassy and sounds excellent with electronic music.
- Monster DNA in-ear?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread 31 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 56 seconds ago
- › Vancouver Audiophile Meet May 2014! 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Nuforce Primo 8 - an Audiophile Phase Coherent Quad Balanced... 1 minute ago
- › Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 2 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 19, 2014, DoubleTree San... 3 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 3 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser MM 450-X Wireless Bluetooth Headphones by Faber65
- › iFi iDAC DAC / headphone Amplifier by Faber65
- › Fostex HP-P1 by Jensenchua
- › Sony XBA-3SL by squallkiercosa
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by originalsnuffy
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob