I'm looking for new computer speakers to replace my failing Klipsch (which were good a decade ago). I primarily use them for gaming plus occasional music and rarely movies.
A friend suggested I get an Asus Xonar DG based on feedback he received on these forums. Is there another good inexpensive sound card (right now, I just have the built-in audio which isn't bad but certainly isn't anything special)?
Ideally, I'd like a pretty good 2.1 or 5.1 setup (or 4.1 but I haven't seen one of those in a long time). I'd like to spend <$500 total.
Based on recommendations here and elsewhere, here is what I'm currently considering:
- Logitech Z623 (2.1) ~$125 - Logitech seems to get mixed reviews on most audio sites
- Logitech Z906 (5.1) ~$350 - Logitech seems to get mixed reviews on most audio sites
- Corsair SP2500 (2.1) ~$200 - very good reviews for computer speakers
- Axion Audiobyte (2.1) ~$580 - more than I'd really like to spend but a few sites love these
- AudioEngine 2 (2.0) - ~$200 - pretty good reviews and significantly cheaper than A5
- PSB Alpha PS1 (2.0) - ~$300 - recommended in the buying guide on this site
For the 2.0 systems, I'd also be interested in a decent inexpensive subwoofer that would work with them.
The speakers will only be 2-3 feet in front of me and I'd prefer smallish speakers since they will be sitting on the desktop.
Any recommendations (for or against) any of the above? Any other suggestions?
Edited by wilcoxon - 10/18/13 at 6:47pm