or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › LG Quadbeat 2 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LG Quadbeat 2 Impressions Thread - Page 23

post #331 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkan View Post
 

It has been a long time since I got the Qb2s. Now time for a review and comparison with both my iems.

 

In my early impressions, I've said it didn't draw my attention out of the box and the stock tips were really crappy for me. After about 100 or so burn in and changing the tips to ultimate ears sf5 tips the veil was mostly gone, not to the degree of absence, but still there. One thing I like most about the sound of Qb2 is its admirable spaciouness and staging and seperation but all these are after some modding. First I took off the filter which I think is responsible for that veil as it is thick and has a dense texture. So I put the RE0 filter on the nozzle. Now the sound was more refined especially the mids were more clear and vocals had some texture and air. The mids are more upfront than RE0s but with more bass presence. I must say the bass is better on both quality and quantity-wise on RE0s because of that midbass hump on Qbs as expected.Mids are also better on RE0s and no need to say that it can't rival RE0s treble.

 

For its money, I think it is the best well spent $30 for me and I can strongly recommend anyone who is in search for a great iem without spending to much money.;) 

stupid question but is the re0 filter the same as the re400 filter? 

 

this seems like a interesting experiment, i still am vary of that midbass bump after the klipsch s4i (that midbass bump was really distracting because it messes up the entire bass region, the subbass gets masked) but on aesthetics alone the qb2 looks a lot better than the first iteration plus the first version had that really short nozzle that didn't help plus with that flat cable, makes its hard for over ear wear

 

oh btw how is the microphonics since it has flat cables, and angled nozzle probably can't do over ear wear

post #332 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post
 

stupid question but is the re0 filter the same as the re400 filter? 

 

this seems like a interesting experiment, i still am vary of that midbass bump after the klipsch s4i (that midbass bump was really distracting because it messes up the entire bass region, the subbass gets masked) but on aesthetics alone the qb2 looks a lot better than the first iteration plus the first version had that really short nozzle that didn't help plus with that flat cable, makes its hard for over ear wear

 

oh btw how is the microphonics since it has flat cables, and angled nozzle probably can't do over ear wear

 

Yes, they are the same filters. The cables have some microphonics when straight down and almost no microphonics when worn over the ear. The nozzle is perfectly angled to wear comfortably in both ways and doesn't seem to tangle.

post #333 of 450

Sorry, double post.

post #334 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkan View Post
 

 

Yes, they are the same filters. The cables have some microphonics when straight down and almost no microphonics when worn over the ear. The nozzle is perfectly angled to wear comfortably in both ways and doesn't seem to tangle.

 very interesting indeed how about the mid bass do you have anything comparable that have anywhere near that quantity ?

 

i have the re400s and the extra filters are just lying around so i could certainly try it out

post #335 of 450

Now  I think midbass should be at the same level of Sony Ex300ap from memory. But after I changed the filters, midbass decreased noticeably.

post #336 of 450

Let me tell you another way. After filter replacement and changing the tip, I didn't use any EQ to decrease the midbass region as I did before. Now, the midbass quantity is perfecty fine for me. Just my two cents.


Edited by ozkan - 12/18/13 at 7:51pm
post #337 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkan View Post
 

Let me tell you another way. After filter replacement and changing the tip, I didn't use any EQ to decrease the midbass region as I did before. Now, the midbass quantity is perfecty fine for me. Just my two cents.

 

very intriguing, did the filters do anything else ? affect the mids or the treble in any other way?

post #338 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post
 

 

very intriguing, did the filters do anything else ? affect the mids or the treble in any other way?

Short answer: yes. I will update my review today when I have time.

post #339 of 450
LG QuadBeat 2 Impressions

Mainly listened through the iPhone 5S, and tested through the D100 II, the D100 II > Quickstep, and the iPhone 4S > Quickstep.

Sound:

Plenty of detail and separation.

Layering is excellent. Depth is a little limited but the layering in the range it has is pretty darn good. Well rounded soundstage otherwise.

Bass is clean. A bit on the dry side and soft in character. It's tight but a bit lacking in dimensionality.

Upper midrange and lower treble is a bit bright for me. It creates very nice clarity though. Sibilance is not an issue.

The main problem with the sound is that it's a bit... brittle. Edge to edge just lack smoothness. Very technically capable but it sounds a bit uninvolved. Like a piano player who is very good but doesn't really want to be there on stage. There's little emotion and you can't really feel what they are feeling. In that sense, it feels like dynamics are a little weak. This was mitigated to a surprising degree by putting the Quickstep into the chain. I feel it has problems hitting crescendos properly. You know a song and you can just feel as it build up and it meant to hit hard, but it just doesn't. On the plus side of this coin, it's less fatiguing as a result.

Tonality is quite good but timbre is a little lacking IMO. Instruments don't feel as real as I would like even though they technically "sound" right. I don't even know if that even makes sense.

Very classically nice sound. Nothing really odd or out of place. My nitpicking is comparing it to the best I have heard and my greatest hopes.

As I said in an earlier post, they are pretty revealing of the chain and they sounded much better to my ears with the Quickstep as a part of it. Whether this is a benefit of amping them or just good synergy with the hardware is beyond me. I just know I enjoyed it best that way.

Regardless, at $30, it's really a no brainer and holds it's weight well into the upper classes.

Fit:
Very comfy. That is all.

Build:
Feels good but a bit insubstantial.
Absolutely no complaints at this price.

Flat cable done right.


Thank you, Inks, for including me in this tour. Truly a budget find in my opinion and I am glad to have heard it. This is up there with the MH1 imo and between them gives a different flavor of awesome at a low low price.
post #340 of 450

Good description, the remote with volume controls is also a plus for Android users.

post #341 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post
You know a song and you can just feel as it build up and it meant to hit hard, but it just doesn't. On the plus side of this coin, it's less fatiguing as a result.
 

 

This. I typed that out(almost exactly) in my initial impressions on another site. Though I just took it completely as a plus. It stops just shy of jarring.

 

My set is burning in currently. I have an issue with some eccentric sounding mid-bass that doesn't fit in with the overall sig(out of the box), so I'll get back with a full review in a few days.


Edited by getclikinagas - 12/27/13 at 5:26am
post #342 of 450

Just had my first experience with these headphones. Got them with my LG G2. 

 

Connected it to my Fiio X3 and had my first session, so will update once i have more to tell. Not sure these things need a run in time to get better?

 

Anyway, my experience:

 

The sound in general is quite sparkling, open and well balanced for a single driver IEM.

The first thing i notice is that the bass is a little flat and boring. It doesn't have that good punch, warmth or layered experience most high-end IEM's possess. 

Once the music evolves to more complex compositions it's losing it's composure and that's were you notice most these are $30 headphones.

 

But listening to more mid centered music (singer songwriter stuff etc) is where these LG's shine. It's open,crisp and clear without getting harsh highs. 

It's the area most of these cheaper IEM's get either harsh or veiled, but the LG's are great for this. 

 

The soundstage is ok, not very wide, but natural sounding, it lacks depth and layers though. It just lacks some involvement in presentation. It's clear, but somehow just out of reach. The sound comes from a few meters away, where good high-end phones create much more intensity where you feel you can touch the music. 

 

The comfort isn't great for me with the supplied tips. They irritate quite quickly. But you can fix that with comply tips for instance.

The design is pretty good. The way they shape in your ear gives a very good seal. They do stick out slightly, which i don't prefer, but most IEM's have this issue. And they look nice too. The flat cord looks solid enough without losing flexibility.

 

All in all, the positioning, experience and presentation is pretty darn good considering the price. They are open, but don't get harsh and therefore have a laidback sound without losing it's timings which is easy to listen too.

 

For me it's the lows that are the weaker part with these QB2's. They have something veiled over them and lack real depth and low frequencies, making them sound a little dull. It just lacks the real timbre and quality of instruments the high-end phones deliver. But then i'm talking about multidriver $400 - 500 headphones, so there's no way you can compare these.

 

Although in some areas they come quite close to my Shure SE535's, which says something.

Comparing it to my Phonak PFE-232's it really becomes very clear though. That's a no contest. It's nowhere near as good.

 

For the price indeed a no brainer if you're on a budget. For me it's a nice backup IEM for emergency's :)  


Edited by Xstream - 12/27/13 at 5:41am
post #343 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by getclikinagas View Post
 

 

This. I typed that out(almost exactly) in my initial impressions on another site. Though I just took it completely as a plus. It stops just shy of jarring.

 

My set is burning in currently. I have an issue with some eccentric sounding mid-bass that doesn't fit in with the overall sig(out of the box), so I'll get back with a full review in a few days.

It is the signature of the QB2 in general. The mid-bass does smooth out a bit over time, but it will always be like that.

post #344 of 450
I have been using these for almost 3 weeks now. I have burned them in for almost 50 hours now. I really like the sound. But I hate the microphonics on them. Hate as in.... HATE!! I don't know how you guys even tolerate it. I like the music but if my head moves to the tunes, the music goes bad because of the microphonics!!
post #345 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr music View Post

I have been using these for almost 3 weeks now. I have burned them in for almost 50 hours now. I really like the sound. But I hate the microphonics on them. Hate as in.... HATE!! I don't know how you guys even tolerate it. I like the music but if my head moves to the tunes, the music goes bad because of the microphonics!!

Have you tried wearing them over ear?  I can see how this may not fit everyone, but I was able to do it successfully and it really helps resolve microphonics problems.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › LG Quadbeat 2 Impressions Thread