Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › LG Quadbeat 2 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LG Quadbeat 2 Impressions Thread - Page 18

post #256 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by d marc0 View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

LG Quadbeat 2 vs Sony MH1 Livesound Comparison

 

 

The LG Quadbeat 2 was brought to my attention after our good friend, Inks started the appreciation thread. I know for a fact that LG’s Quadbeat series have quite a following because of its impressive performance to price ratio. Initially, I had no interest because I’ve moved on to the mid-tier level of IEMs but then Ink’s claims on the Quadbeat 2’s performance really got me intrigued! Now that I have the QB2, it’s time to answer my curiosity. Is it really as good or even better than upper low tier IEMs out there? I purposely re-purchased a Sony MH1 Livesound headset so I can set a benchmark. Personally, I consider the MH1 to be one of the best budget IEMs (i’ve owned/heard) because of the resolution/detail it delivers despite the overly warm bass end. So without further ado, let’s compare the two!

 

SETUP:  Ipod Touch 5th Gen > JDS labs C5

               Sony MH1 Livesound + Sony MH1 Tips (shallow insertion)

               LG Quadbeat 2 + Sony MH1 Tips (deep insertion)

               Apple Lossless and 320 kbps mp3s

 

NOTE: 

>The LG Quadbeat 2 went through 70+ hours of burn-in.

>Sony MH1 has clocked 30+ hours.

>No EQ was applied for both sets.

 

 

 

 

BASS

 

Sony MH1:
Bass is very forward, boomy, yet well controlled but there are occasions where it bleeds into the mids. Sub bass is the highlight thus, rumble is magnificent and it digs really deep even when not called for. I would categorise the MH1 as a bass-head IEM with a balanced tuning. Decay has a bit of delay and it affects how fast songs should’ve been presented. Not ideal for metal and fast hard rock genres but fortunately, it’s not that bad. Texture and timbre are the strengths of the MH1 resulting in a very FULL sound.

 

LG QB2:
Moving to the Quadbeat 2 you instantly hear the difference in bass quantity most notably in the sub bass region. It’s a lot lesser in quantity compared to the MH1. Bass is also well controlled and hard hitting, a bit tighter, and sounds clearer on the LG. Bass decay is very quick; as a result, QB 2 performs really well with fast beat tunes from the likes of Earth, Wind and Fire, Michael Jackson, and Gloria Estefan. Heavy metal bass kicks also sound really impressive. Personally, I would’ve liked a bit more body/fullness to the QB2’s bass end. Maybe a little bit more sub bass presence, a bit delay on bass decay, and a bit more depth would make it perfect! Overall, good tuning on LG’s part.

 

VERDICT:
These IEMs have different ways of presenting their BASS end. Both are impressive in general with a few caveats: bass bleed on the MH1 while the QB2 on the other hand lacks a bit of sub-bass presence. It’s a tie for me here because both IEMs can showcase their strengths over the other depending on the kind of music you’re playing.

 

 


MIDS

 

Sony MH1:
The mid section is a little bit recessed but the MH1 makes up for it with great texture and timbre. Everything just sounds so natural to me. Although not the highlight, vocals are presented smoothly with good clarity and detail. Distorted guitars in rock/metal sound smooth and meaty because of the added warmth; really full sounding. Acoustic strings are played with substantial clarity with a smooth and natural timbre. Other instruments that are emphasized in the mids such as piano and trumpets are very well presented. What surprises me is that despite its warm signature, detail and resolution is superb on the MH1. Very refined indeed!

 

LG QB2:
Mids is in a perfect place with the QB2. Vocals are more intimate and engaging especially when listening to live music. Everything is also detailed but a lot more clearer this time because there’s no bass bleed into the midrange. Despite all these, I do find the upper mids to be a bit unresolving. To my ears, the upper mids lacks dynamics and fullness, quite dry, and unrefined. These traits can be fatiguing when listening to alternative, grunge, and punk rock where crunch driven guitar distortion highlights the song. IMO, these traits also affect the timbre and decay of cymbals making them lose their natural ringing sound. Guitars at times can sound thinner than usual when played at higher octaves. So altogether, the MIDS is a mixed bag on the QB2 in my personal experience. Now, despite all that; given the right song/genre, the QB2 can still sound really good. Examples of these are songs by the following artists: EWF, MJ, Janet Jackson, Madonna, Gloria Estefan, Whitney Houston, 90’s boy bands, RnB artists, etc...

 

VERDICT:
I prefer how the Sony MH1 presents its mids. Smooth yet REFINED.

 

 


HIGHS

 

Sony MH1:
The treble on the MH1 is very hard to judge. To some it may sound too smooth and lacking a bit of sparkle for added airiness. Some would insist that it is what makes the MH1 a great all-rounder: never sibilant no matter what genre is played. Personally, I’m a mixture of both. The great thing about MH1 in the upper frequency is its ability to extend quite a bit without sacrificing refinement. If I were ask to improve MH1 it’ll be to add just a little bit of sparkle exactly how Zero Audio did with the Carbo Basso. On a negative note; due to the smoothness: cymbals and high-hats doesn’t sound as natural as they should. Fortunately, detail and extension is there to more than make up for lack in timbre.

 

LG QB2:
I love the treble on the QB2! It is well extended, crisp, and borderline sibilant sparkle. What’s really impressive is the fact that this IEM is not plagued with dips and peaks. It may come as a bright sounding signature, a bit of a v-shaped if I may add; but it is well implemented because of the touch of warmth from the bass end. The QB2 does not have the best timbre even in its price range, yet it’s airiness is more than enough for me to value how LG has tuned this IEM in this frequency range.

 

VERDICT:
It’s a toss-up between the two. There will always be some who prefer the detailed smoothness of the MH1 and there are those who value more clarity and sparkle. I personally prefer the QB2.

 

 

 

 

DETAIL/SEPARATION

 

Sony MH1:
Detail is impressive for a budget IEM; add that to good separation and placement then you have a winner! Even in complex songs where various instruments play on top of each other, the MH1 remains coherent. If only clarity was improved by adding just a little bit of sparkle and reducing the bass’ forwardness, then the MH1 will be very hard to beat.

 

LG QB2:
Detail is just as good although separation and imaging are not its main forte. The QB2 can sound incoherent at times and is evident in busy instrumentations in a song (i.e. Get This Party Started - PINK).

 

 


SOUNDSTAGE

 

Sony MH1:
Average soundstage at best but depth, separation, and detail makes the entire presentation a pleasure to listen into: well layered and 3D sounding. Never did I experience congestion with the songs that I have in my playlists so far...

 

LG QB2:
Soundstage is surprisingly wide, better than the MH1. Unfortunately, the QB2 lacks in depth and layering. These result into a more linear sounding presentation; more 2D sounding which can also lead into occasional congestion in some songs when instrumentations get a little bit too busy.

 

 

 

SOUND SIGNATURE:

 

Sony MH1:
Warm but well balanced sound signature wrapped in smoothness.

 

LG QB2:
Bright sounding with a touch of warmth - Nice!

 

 

 

 

CONCLUSION:

 

As much as I like the sound signature of the Quadbeat 2, I do find it incapable of delivering in certain songs/genres. This puts it at a disadvantage when placed head-to-head against the MH1 which is a better all-rounder. BUT… and it’s a big BUT: when playing the right kind of songs/genres, boy this IEM can really sing. I now have a separate playlist just for the LG Quadbeat 2 because it can be a magnificent IEM if you choose the songs wisely.

 

So, is the LG Quadbeat 2 worth all the attention? YES and NO… YES because it can be a great sounding IEM if given the right type of songs. NO because it does have a few glaring faults. But I can’t really complain... this is a $30 IEM after all! 

 

Cheers!

 

Nice write-up!


Edited by modulor - 11/15/13 at 8:52am
post #257 of 397
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d marc0 View Post
 

LG Quadbeat 2 vs Sony MH1 Livesound Comparison

 

 

The LG Quadbeat 2 was brought to my attention after our good friend, Inks started the appreciation thread. I know for a fact that LG’s Quadbeat series have quite a following because of its impressive performance to price ratio. Initially, I had no interest because I’ve moved on to the mid-tier level of IEMs but then Ink’s claims on the Quadbeat 2’s performance really got me intrigued! Now that I have the QB2, it’s time to answer my curiosity. Is it really as good or even better than upper low tier IEMs out there? I purposely re-purchased a Sony MH1 Livesound headset so I can set a benchmark. Personally, I consider the MH1 to be one of the best budget IEMs (i’ve owned/heard) because of the resolution/detail it delivers despite the overly warm bass end. So without further ado, let’s compare the two!

 

SETUP:  Ipod Touch 5th Gen > JDS labs C5

               Sony MH1 Livesound + Sony MH1 Tips (shallow insertion)

               LG Quadbeat 2 + Sony MH1 Tips (deep insertion)

               Apple Lossless and 320 kbps mp3s

 

NOTE: 

>The LG Quadbeat 2 went through 70+ hours of burn-in.

>Sony MH1 has clocked 30+ hours.

>No EQ was applied for both sets.

 

 

 

 

BASS

 

Sony MH1:
Bass is very forward, boomy, yet well controlled but there are occasions where it bleeds into the mids. Sub bass is the highlight thus, rumble is magnificent and it digs really deep even when not called for. I would categorise the MH1 as a bass-head IEM with a balanced tuning. Decay has a bit of delay and it affects how fast songs should’ve been presented. Not ideal for metal and fast hard rock genres but fortunately, it’s not that bad. Texture and timbre are the strengths of the MH1 resulting in a very FULL sound.

 

LG QB2:
Moving to the Quadbeat 2 you instantly hear the difference in bass quantity most notably in the sub bass region. It’s a lot lesser in quantity compared to the MH1. Bass is also well controlled and hard hitting, a bit tighter, and sounds clearer on the LG. Bass decay is very quick; as a result, QB 2 performs really well with fast beat tunes from the likes of Earth, Wind and Fire, Michael Jackson, and Gloria Estefan. Heavy metal bass kicks also sound really impressive. Personally, I would’ve liked a bit more body/fullness to the QB2’s bass end. Maybe a little bit more sub bass presence, a bit delay on bass decay, and a bit more depth would make it perfect! Overall, good tuning on LG’s part.

 

VERDICT:
These IEMs have different ways of presenting their BASS end. Both are impressive in general with a few caveats: bass bleed on the MH1 while the QB2 on the other hand lacks a bit of sub-bass presence. It’s a tie for me here because both IEMs can showcase their strengths over the other depending on the kind of music you’re playing.

 

 


MIDS

 

Sony MH1:
The mid section is a little bit recessed but the MH1 makes up for it with great texture and timbre. Everything just sounds so natural to me. Although not the highlight, vocals are presented smoothly with good clarity and detail. Distorted guitars in rock/metal sound smooth and meaty because of the added warmth; really full sounding. Acoustic strings are played with substantial clarity with a smooth and natural timbre. Other instruments that are emphasized in the mids such as piano and trumpets are very well presented. What surprises me is that despite its warm signature, detail and resolution is superb on the MH1. Very refined indeed!

 

LG QB2:
Mids is in a perfect place with the QB2. Vocals are more intimate and engaging especially when listening to live music. Everything is also detailed but a lot more clearer this time because there’s no bass bleed into the midrange. Despite all these, I do find the upper mids to be a bit unresolving. To my ears, the upper mids lacks dynamics and fullness, quite dry, and unrefined. These traits can be fatiguing when listening to alternative, grunge, and punk rock where crunch driven guitar distortion highlights the song. IMO, these traits also affect the timbre and decay of cymbals making them lose their natural ringing sound. Guitars at times can sound thinner than usual when played at higher octaves. So altogether, the MIDS is a mixed bag on the QB2 in my personal experience. Now, despite all that; given the right song/genre, the QB2 can still sound really good. Examples of these are songs by the following artists: EWF, MJ, Janet Jackson, Madonna, Gloria Estefan, Whitney Houston, 90’s boy bands, RnB artists, etc...

 

VERDICT:
I prefer how the Sony MH1 presents its mids. Smooth yet REFINED.

 

 


HIGHS

 

Sony MH1:
The treble on the MH1 is very hard to judge. To some it may sound too smooth and lacking a bit of sparkle for added airiness. Some would insist that it is what makes the MH1 a great all-rounder: never sibilant no matter what genre is played. Personally, I’m a mixture of both. The great thing about MH1 in the upper frequency is its ability to extend quite a bit without sacrificing refinement. If I were ask to improve MH1 it’ll be to add just a little bit of sparkle exactly how Zero Audio did with the Carbo Basso. On a negative note; due to the smoothness: cymbals and high-hats doesn’t sound as natural as they should. Fortunately, detail and extension is there to more than make up for lack in timbre.

 

LG QB2:
I love the treble on the QB2! It is well extended, crisp, and borderline sibilant sparkle. What’s really impressive is the fact that this IEM is not plagued with dips and peaks. It may come as a bright sounding signature, a bit of a v-shaped if I may add; but it is well implemented because of the touch of warmth from the bass end. The QB2 does not have the best timbre even in its price range, yet it’s airiness is more than enough for me to value how LG has tuned this IEM in this frequency range.

 

VERDICT:
It’s a toss-up between the two. There will always be some who prefer the detailed smoothness of the MH1 and there are those who value more clarity and sparkle. I personally prefer the QB2.

 

 

 

 

DETAIL/SEPARATION

 

Sony MH1:
Detail is impressive for a budget IEM; add that to good separation and placement then you have a winner! Even in complex songs where various instruments play on top of each other, the MH1 remains coherent. If only clarity was improved by adding just a little bit of sparkle and reducing the bass’ forwardness, then the MH1 will be very hard to beat.

 

LG QB2:
Detail is just as good although separation and imaging are not its main forte. The QB2 can sound incoherent at times and is evident in busy instrumentations in a song (i.e. Get This Party Started - PINK).

 

 


SOUNDSTAGE

 

Sony MH1:
Average soundstage at best but depth, separation, and detail makes the entire presentation a pleasure to listen into: well layered and 3D sounding. Never did I experience congestion with the songs that I have in my playlists so far...

 

LG QB2:
Soundstage is surprisingly wide, better than the MH1. Unfortunately, the QB2 lacks in depth and layering. These result into a more linear sounding presentation; more 2D sounding which can also lead into occasional congestion in some songs when instrumentations get a little bit too busy.

 

 

 

SOUND SIGNATURE:

 

Sony MH1:
Warm but well balanced sound signature wrapped in smoothness.

 

LG QB2:
Bright sounding with a touch of warmth - Nice!

 

 

 

 

CONCLUSION:

 

As much as I like the sound signature of the Quadbeat 2, I do find it incapable of delivering in certain songs/genres. This puts it at a disadvantage when placed head-to-head against the MH1 which is a better all-rounder. BUT… and it’s a big BUT: when playing the right kind of songs/genres, boy this IEM can really sing. I now have a separate playlist just for the LG Quadbeat 2 because it can be a magnificent IEM if you choose the songs wisely.

 

So, is the LG Quadbeat 2 worth all the attention? YES and NO… YES because it can be a great sounding IEM if given the right type of songs. NO because it does have a few glaring faults. But I can’t really complain... this is a $30 IEM after all! 

 

Cheers!

 

 

Great impressions!

Thanks for the detailed comparison! 

post #258 of 397

Thanks for sharing your comparison. :beerchug:

post #259 of 397
Thanks guys! It's my pleasure...
post #260 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by d marc0 View Post

Thanks guys! It's my pleasure...


^ Yeppp great insights meng!!! :beerchug:

 

Appreciate all the effort and good work. :)

post #261 of 397
I agree with a lot of this. The QB2 is pretty damn good, and I would have been much more impressed if I hadn't just got the MH1. To my ears the QB2 is a bit brighter than neutral through the mids compared to the MH1, which is more tone accurate in the mids than almost everything else I've heard. I should clarify that this brightness is pretty minor, and less than the GR07 to my ears. Its just that the MH1 presents vocals with more realism imo.

Bass on the QB2 is more focused on midbass, but it is tighter than the MH1 overall. Treble is smoother on the MH1, and very well defined and extended.

Overall the QB2 is a great phone, and I'd recommend it over the GR07 for those that want a little less brightness. But the MH1 is a phenomenal phone, nailing everything except bass, where it's overemphasized imo by a few dB depending on listening volume.
post #262 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

 I would have been much more impressed if I hadn't just got the MH1.

+1 :beerchug:

post #263 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

I agree with a lot of this. The QB2 is pretty damn good, and I would have been much more impressed if I hadn't just got the MH1. To my ears the QB2 is a bit brighter than neutral through the mids compared to the MH1, which is more tone accurate in the mids than almost everything else I've heard. I should clarify that this brightness is pretty minor, and less than the GR07 to my ears. Its just that the MH1 presents vocals with more realism imo.

Bass on the QB2 is more focused on midbass, but it is tighter than the MH1 overall. Treble is smoother on the MH1, and very well defined and extended.

Overall the QB2 is a great phone, and I'd recommend it over the GR07 for those that want a little less brightness. But the MH1 is a phenomenal phone, nailing everything except bass, where it's overemphasized imo by a few dB depending on listening volume.


^ Try some masking tape over the vent, tames the bass and makes the sound much more balanced.

 

My MH1Cs sounded the best that way when i had them. :)

post #264 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post


^ Try some masking tape over the vent, tames the bass and makes the sound much more balanced.

My MH1Cs sounded the best that way when i had them. smily_headphones1.gif

+1 beerchug.gif
Edited by d marc0 - 11/15/13 at 4:08pm
post #265 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

I agree with a lot of this. The QB2 is pretty damn good, and I would have been much more impressed if I hadn't just got the MH1. To my ears the QB2 is a bit brighter than neutral through the mids compared to the MH1, which is more tone accurate in the mids than almost everything else I've heard. I should clarify that this brightness is pretty minor, and less than the GR07 to my ears. Its just that the MH1 presents vocals with more realism imo.

Bass on the QB2 is more focused on midbass, but it is tighter than the MH1 overall. Treble is smoother on the MH1, and very well defined and extended.

Overall the QB2 is a great phone, and I'd recommend it over the GR07 for those that want a little less brightness. But the MH1 is a phenomenal phone, nailing everything except bass, where it's overemphasized imo by a few dB depending on listening volume.

Only regarding the MH1:

I'm going to have to respectfully differ in opinion on a few points. frown.gif

Mind you everything I'm about to say completely disregards that they are $20 and treats them on equal footing to my highest expectations and hopes for sound.

While being tonally pretty very accurate, in character and imaging, they are lacking in realism. Depth is great (width not so much in the near field. I'd describe the soundstage as very triangular, with it pointing at you.), but the sound is not enveloping nor do the images have great dimensional characteristics. They are mostly flat in space and in front of you. I thought the GR07 when I had them was better in this regard. They are also bunched up in the near field due to the soundstage characteristics mentioned above.

Vocals are a a bit piercing but not in the exciting way I find the Heaven V or the F111. Having differently placed peaks, it might just not work for my personal HRTF, but that's how I hear it. EQing down the upper mid and lower treble peaks helps a lot with the aggresive quality in the mids, but not with the realism of the images.

Bass is very solid, if a bit lacking in weight and is a bit dry. I'd do an EQ cut there too to pull it back a little. The driver can get a bit messy down there otherwise.

The cut I use is 20hz (Q = .175) -4dB.

Really good extension on both ends too, as the graphs will confirm. No sibilance and great detail retrieval round out the sound when it's not being congested near field.

Now back to price. For $20, I could not recommend it enough if you can deal with the cable. Can't wait to hear the QB2.
Edited by vwinter - 11/15/13 at 4:18pm
post #266 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyHeadMara View Post


d marco, I knew it sounds silly but can u please compare these QB2 with HTC one stock earphones?

 

OK! So I took my HTC 39H00014-01M Headset and had a go at it.

 

SETUP:   Ipod Touch 5th Gen > JDS labs C5

               HTC 39H00014-01M Headset + Sony Hybrid Tips (deep insertion)

               Apple Lossless and 320 kbps mp3s

 

I still back my previous impressions on this: it is a decent warm sounding IEM! Close to the MH1 sound signature but with an earlier roll-off in sub-bass and more sparkle in the highs. I did at some point told everyone that this sounded like a little brother of ZeroAudio Carbo Basso. Nice and warm, natural timbre, decent detail, wide soundstage, excellent depth, and impressive imaging. Now the negatives: Lacks a bit of refinement from Bass to Mids. The bass end does distort in some songs and bleeds into the mids in most songs. There's also a grainy texture in the mids that doesn't seem to go away even after burn-in. 

 

Now compared to the QB2: It'll be like the QB2 beating the MH1 hands down because the Sony lost its REFINEMENT. But still keeps a firm stand because of great timbre, wide soundstage, excellent depth, and impressive imaging. 

 

Hope that helps!

 

I will state it again: "I wonder how much improvement there is with the upgrade HTC RC E240 headset? This has a metal body vs the cheap plastic stock headset."


Edited by d marc0 - 11/15/13 at 5:43pm
post #267 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by d marc0 View Post

OK! So I took my HTC 39H00014-01M Headset and had a go at it. I still back my previous impressions on this: it is a decent warm sounding IEM! Close to how the MH1 sound signature but with an earlier roll-off in sub-bass and more sparkle in the highs. I did at some point told everyone that this sounded like a little brother of ZeroAudio Carbo Basso. Nice and warm, natural timbre, decent detail, wide soundstage, excellent depth, and impressive imaging. Now the negatives: Lacks a bit of refinement from Bass to Mids. The bass end does distort in some songs and bleeds into the mids in most songs. There's also a grainy texture in the mids that doesn't seem to go away even after burn-in. 

Now compared to the QB2: It'll be like the QB2 beating the MH1 hands down because the Sony lost its REFINEMENT. But still keeps a firm stand because of great timbre, wide soundstage, excellent depth, and impressive imaging. 

Hope that helps!

Thanks a lot d marc0. Really appreciate for not forgetting my request.
post #268 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyHeadMara View Post


Thanks a lot d marc0. Really appreciate for not forgetting my request.

BTW the HTC headset scales really well with amping.

:beerchug: 


Edited by d marc0 - 11/15/13 at 4:49pm
post #269 of 397
Throwing this out again - any chance someone can do a comparison between the QB2 and the Brainwavz Delta?
post #270 of 397
I will do an A/B comparison against the delta later today. From memory they are both balanced sounding. The Delta may have a bit more bass body but is also more grainy. I am enjoying the G2 more and like that it works with android and Windows phones giving the same experience as an iPhone headphone.

BTW guys I used a pair of Sony hybrid tips today and like the result. It makes these just a bit less bright, adds comfort, and helps the bass a bit. These might pull me from my AKG K545 and Bose QC20 occasionally
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › LG Quadbeat 2 Impressions Thread