Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › New headphones recommendations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New headphones recommendations

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Hi guys 

 

I am looking for a new pair of portable over ear closed headphones around $300AUS/USD. I listen to mainly Metal and rock with the occasional classical.

I've been doing a lot of reading on the forums and have made the following list of possible choices

 

PSB M4U1

Sony MDR-1R

Focal Spirit One

Beyerdynamic Custom One pro

 

I'm currently leaning towards the PSB's or the Sony's. Any help would be appreciated.

post #2 of 15

Sony has the least bass - quite mid-centric but very comfortable.

PSB has excellent sound and isolation but is quite big and heavy.

Focal is the bassiest, but sould still be OK for your genres. 

 

Havn't heard COP

post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 

So would you say the PSB's are better sounding than the Sony's for metal or rock?

post #4 of 15

That comes down more to taste. Depends how much bass you want/need.

 

Some metal like old Metallica recordings need a bit more bass, so the PSB would work well with that.

Then a lot of more modern mainstream metal recordings like Evanescence have almost thunderous bass, so the Sony would emphasise the guitars/vocals nicely if that's what you'd prefer. 

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 

Any comments on their build quality?

There doesn't seem to be anyone reporting any major issues with the MDR-1R other than a rattling jack. Haven't hear much about the PSB's.

post #6 of 15
Hello,

I have tried the first three headphones you mentioned and here's how I rank them in terms of SQ;
PSB M4U1 > Sony MDR-1R > FSO

As for comfort, all three are comfortable. In terms of build quality... I think the FSO takes the lead. PSB M4U1 are mostly plastic, MDR-1R have this jack rattle issue. Not sure if it's fixed

Hope it helps!
Billson smily_headphones1.gif
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post

Hello,

I have tried the first three headphones you mentioned and here's how I rank them in terms of SQ;
PSB M4U1 > Sony MDR-1R > FSO

As for comfort, all three are comfortable. In terms of build quality... I think the FSO takes the lead. PSB M4U1 are mostly plastic, MDR-1R have this jack rattle issue. Not sure if it's fixed

Hope it helps!
Billson smily_headphones1.gif

 

Can you tell me if the hinges on the PSB's metal or painted plastic?

post #8 of 15
If I may, I suggest the Mrspeakers Mad Dog 3.2 planar magnetic headphone which is said to be the best value for the price though it would be its best with better amps. It's $299. Normally I'd suggest the Sennheiser Momentum as I absolutely love the darker tonality however for your music preferences, these might sound slow or congested.
Edited by maricius - 10/18/13 at 6:00am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionut117 View Post

Can you tell me if the hinges on the PSB's metal or painted plastic?
It's metal smily_headphones1.gif
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post

It's metal smily_headphones1.gif

Just like his preference in music… ok I'll go now… biggrin.gif
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by maricius View Post

Just like his preference in music… ok I'll go now… biggrin.gif

Yeah! Just notice it xD

I am becoming a fan of metal lately xD
post #12 of 15

The Mad Dogs however need at least a basic amplifier to properly enjoy them, otherwise there's no point buying them.

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post
 

The Mad Dogs however need at least a basic amplifier to properly enjoy them, otherwise there's no point buying them.

I agree that an amplifier is necessary to properly enjoy them but they're rather sensitive for a planar. An iPod or a smartphone will bring them up to listening volume… just not with a truly quality sound.

post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by maricius View Post
 

I agree that an amplifier is necessary to properly enjoy them but they're rather sensitive for a planar. An iPod or a smartphone will bring them up to listening volume… just not with a truly quality sound.

Agreed, but to get to sort of loud listening levels, you need to put an ipod classic (for example) to full volume, so expect battery life to suffer a little.

 

Another benefit is that the Mad Dog is the only one that doubles up VERY nicely as a home-headphone, if you can put up with the size and looks - because it pales beside the other suggestions in aesthetics, fashion and portability.

post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post
 

Agreed, but to get to sort of loud listening levels, you need to put an ipod classic (for example) to full volume, so expect battery life to suffer a little.

 

Another benefit is that the Mad Dog is the only one that doubles up VERY nicely as a home-headphone, if you can put up with the size and looks - because it pales beside the other suggestions in aesthetics, fashion and portability.

I love the rugged, unrefined, not so pleasant look. I think it makes the wearer more attractive.  :floatsmile:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › New headphones recommendations