Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Headphone + Subwoofer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headphone + Subwoofer

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

Hello,

I want to use my headphones and my subwoofer at the same time. At the moment, I'm using a Asus Xonar Essence ST in combination with the Asus Xonar H6 channel upgrade.

 

I can use my headphone or my speakers + subwoofer just fine, but I can't figure out a way to use the headphone and the subwoofer without having to disconnect my speakers und plugging my headphone into the stereo ports of the soundcard (and I guess I can't use the headphone amp this way).

 

Does anybody know how to do this? Or at least a way to use the speakers, headphone and subwoofer at the same time (I could just turn the speakers off then)?

 

Thanks for every answer!

post #2 of 26

Why not plug the speakers into the speaker ports and plug the headphone into the headphone port?

post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Why not plug the speakers into the speaker ports and plug the headphone into the headphone port?

Well, thats the way it is currently plugged in and I want it to leave it that way if possible.

But I can't get the headphone and the subwoofer working at the same time with the Xonar Essence ST/Xonar HD6. I'm hoping there is a setting/software to fix this.

post #4 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrok View Post
 

Well, thats the way it is currently plugged in and I want it to leave it that way if possible.

But I can't get the headphone and the sub-woofer working at the same time with the Xonar Essence ST/Xonar HD6. I'm hoping there is a setting/software to fix this.

To the best of my knowledge and as an Essence STX user, the STX/ST can be set to output to headphones or set to output to speakers, but not both at the same time.

What your trying to do is very rare, so far my tiny brain can't figure out how to solve your issue.

 

If you had a sub-woofer that had a line-out, you could hook up a headphone amplifier to the line-out, from the sub-woofer.

post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

To the best of my knowledge and as an Essence STX user, the STX/ST can be set to output to headphones or set to output to speakers, but not both at the same time.

What your trying to do is very rare, so far my tiny brain can't figure out how to solve your issue.

 

If you had a sub-woofer that had a line-out, you could hook up a headphone amplifier to the line-out, from the sub-woofer.

 

Yeah, I feared that this is the only option.

 

So, there is now way to at least use everything (speakers, headphone, subwoofer) at the same time with additional tools/software/settings?

post #6 of 26

Interesting idea...

 

The only way I can think of is to buy a cheap 2nd hand seperates amp with a good quality headphone out. I use an old Pioneer A-307R with my desktop. The amp is probably worth around £40-£50 second hand and doesn't adversely affect the SQ from my Audigy 2ZS card.

With my headphones plugged in and switched on, I often forget to switch off my speakers and think my headphones/iems have suddenly found some sub bass from somewhere and transferred it to my desk, chair and the floor :D

In your case you would just have a sub connected instead of speakers.

 

 

Also discussed here -  http://www.overclock.net/t/866894/pro-tip-use-headphones-and-a-subwoofer

post #7 of 26
What speakers and sub do you have (make/model)? That will be a factor in determining some kind of solution.
post #8 of 26

Confused as to why you would want to do this, how you would resolve the crossover point for frequencies, but still top of my list of questions is why?

post #9 of 26

I saw someone on youtube using a cheapo subwoofer with his Stax SR-407's. 

 

Think he did it just for fun though, but must say it could add some extra something to the experience :D

post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headzone View Post

Think he did it just for fun though, but must say it could add some extra something to the experience biggrin.gif

Assuming that the goal is to create a felt bass response, best thing would be a tactile transducer, such as a ButtKicker. I could easily see that being a big plus for listening to bass heavy music, gaming, or movies.
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablix View Post
 

Confused as to why you would want to do this, how you would resolve the crossover point for frequencies, but still top of my list of questions is why?

 

To feel the bass?

post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrok View Post
 

Yeah, I feared that this is the only option.

So, there is now way to at least use everything (speakers, headphone, subwoofer) at the same time with additional tools/software/settings?

Why not just invest into Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm or DT990s, they have plenty of bass.

post #13 of 26

I understand wanting to feel the bass, that reverberation in your stomach and chest but why use headphones and a sub and not just use speakers.  The question could be reversed to "why do you want the sub on but NOT the speakers?"  I just cannot understand any situation where you would want to do this, it will sound a long way from perfect as you wont be able to tell the headphones to not play the bottom end frequencies the sub is overlapping, it will sound messy and muddy at best.  

post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablix View Post

I understand wanting to feel the bass, that reverberation in your stomach and chest but why use headphones and a sub and not just use speakers.  The question could be reversed to "why do you want the sub on but NOT the speakers?"  I just cannot understand any situation where you would want to do this, it will sound a long way from perfect as you wont be able to tell the headphones to not play the bottom end frequencies the sub is overlapping, it will sound messy and muddy at best.  

We need to give you a fun pill so you can imagine how this might work smily_headphones1.gif

With headphones with a lot of bass rolloff, like the AD700s, I would imagine that setting the sub crossover at 50hz might allow it to fill in very well at those bottom frequencies for enjoying special effects in gaming and movies. Even if the texturing of that sub bass were decreased a little, tactile sensation adds a lot for special effects biggrin.gif
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablix View Post
 

I understand wanting to feel the bass, that reverberation in your stomach and chest but why use headphones and a sub and not just use speakers.  The question could be reversed to "why do you want the sub on but NOT the speakers?"  I just cannot understand any situation where you would want to do this, it will sound a long way from perfect as you wont be able to tell the headphones to not play the bottom end frequencies the sub is overlapping, it will sound messy and muddy at best.  

 

What you describe definately does happen somewhat with my full range speakers + headphones when used simultaneously but judging from my 5.1 system with which I use full range speakers for front R & L with no muddiness (admittedly with a HF filter on the sub output) but I really can't see it being an issue.. especially when you have a degree of noise isolation from most headphones combined with the bass, mids and treble channeled directly into your ear canal while feeling the non directional sub bass from the sub.

Got me intrigued now, I'll test test my active sub (without the HF filter) with my headphones tomorrow and report back. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Headphone + Subwoofer