- 3 Posts. Joined 10/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- In need of headphones + amp for under 175$ Last post on 12/1/12 at 12:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about the Sennheiser HD 558 Last post on 7/5/12 at 12:52am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD555 vs HD 558 vs Audio Technica AD700x Last post on 10/22/13 at 11:29am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Would Asus Xonar D1 or DG be a good match for expensive headphones? Last post on 7/19/13 at 6:38pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Size Matters - Earpad hole measurements for Over-ear Headphones.... Last post on 10/7/13 at 9:52am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
As I contemplated giving these a go, I became aware that there was one thing that I wasn't too thrilled about. No mic or controls. I am a person constantly on the go, so most of my listening...
Introduction - The HD 518's are the starter model in the Sennheiser's audiophile range. They are really VFM and a good starter audiophile headphone for people who are looking into going the...
I got these on a pawn shop deal, and wanted some cheap headphones that could deliver for what I was looking for. An all-arounder that provided clarity, good bass, nice treble, and handled all...
Introduction: I still don't know why I keep buying headphones, really! I thought I was done but no, headphones like this one have to pop up on my radar and I'm weak enough that I have to buy...
Comparing these to my Philips L1 and my Beyer T1 they have a lot more mid-bass through midrange and are slightly tilted toward the high. They sound great but quite a bit different sound signature...
Help a noob with heaphones purchase?post #1 of 810/16/13 at 5:24pmThread StarterI'm looking to buy a pair of headphones. They have to sound good and they have to be EXTREMLY durable. I've had gaming headsets made of plastic that have been labeled as "durable", that I've broke. Also I know this isn't the place for this but if you could help me I would appreciate it (if you can't its fine), I need a desktop mic. It doesn't have to be amazing but I usually have my brother talking behind me and would like it to be able to localize sound decently. My budget for both is $150-$200.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 810/16/13 at 6:34pmpost #3 of 810/16/13 at 11:00pm
I currently use Sennheiser HD25-1 as my primary gaming headset/every day headphone. SUPER durable (dropped this headphone a few times, still trucking on), and great sound.
Before these I bought the Sennheieser HD555's, still have them too, but I'm not sure if you can buy those new anymore? Correct me if I'm wrong. As for the mic, I went with the Zalman clip on mic. Nothing special, gets the job done, and inexpensive.post #4 of 810/17/13 at 11:31amI'd even go with the HD598. Shouldn't be bad at all for gaming, with one catch. They're open headphones, and when you play on open headphones, you will hear your own keyboard and any other background noise. Plus, people in the same room will hear sound leaking from your headphones. If you have any intentions to go to lans or any kind of offline tournaments, you won' have any isolation and the headphones will be useless.
But, that's the only downside. I play with open headphones and I like it.
Get any directional desktop mic; also there are mics that clip onto your headphones.
If you want closed, try Creative Aurvana Live. Also, I played for a while with a Beyer DT770 Pro and liked it, though it is a tad bass-heavy. The positioning was top notch.
Gaming headsets are, for the most part, cheaply made and overpriced, so I'm not surprised at your bad luck with them.post #5 of 810/18/13 at 3:52pmThread StarterQuote:
Is the sound card necessary? From my understanding, wouldn't a sound card that cheap make no difference? Pardon my noobishness if I'm completely wrong.post #6 of 810/18/13 at 4:44pmQuote:
The older or cheaper the motherboard is, the more noticeable the Xonar DG will improve audio quality.post #7 of 810/19/13 at 1:59pmThread Starterpost #8 of 810/19/13 at 8:30pmQuote:
After $10 mail in rebate, it's costing you less then $20 to try the Xonar DG.
But I'm not in a position to say for sure it will be a noticeable difference.
I would think it would at least make a minor improvement.
- Help a noob with heaphones purchase?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 2 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 10 seconds ago
- › Best music while stoned? 25 seconds ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 1 minute ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 1 minute ago
- › XBA-3/ XBA-30..The Appreciation thread. 1 minute ago
- › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions 2 minutes ago
- › Living Stereo 60-CD box set (classical) 3 minutes ago
- › sharing worst experience in audio-gd! Be careful everyone.. 3 minutes ago
- › OCCUPY HI-FI - about Head-Fi (in relation to High End Audio) -... 4 minutes ago
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Perfect Sound d901b by gelocks
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by groovyd
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Joe-Siow
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by kingpage
- › Sony NWZ-A818 8GB by stuartfang
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by adevriesc
- › Samson SR950 by adevriesc
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe