Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Great Grado Experiment (4 tonewoods tested, more to come!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Great Grado Experiment (4 tonewoods tested, more to come!) - Page 4

post #46 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View PostRemember, at the end of the day, it's the music that matters most.

^^ Truth.  The headphones are a means to an end.

I sense an impending need for some wood to breathe new life into my old 225's.


Edited by onionskin - 11/17/13 at 1:09pm
post #47 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post
 

I do have mahogany cups, but they're on my Grado RS1i headphones.  If I'm using a driver from the Grado SR-80 in the walnut cups, I don't think it would be a very fair comparison.  The RS1i is a better setup / headphone, but keep in mind, when going for something a further up the chain, normally the level of improvement is quite minimal.  Sure, the RS1i is a beautiful headphone with great mahogany cups, I still wouldn't be disappointed with many of the SR-80 / SR-80i based Grados that I've heard in many variations.  Remember, at the end of the day, it's the music that matters most.


How about the comparison from stock to each wood respectively? I'm interested on how the wood actually changes the sound. But yeah, like you say, a comparison between those cans would be totally unfair.
This thread really has me wanting to learn how to make my own wooden cups!

Another note, are all Grado drivers the same diameter?

 

Yes it is the music that matters most, but you can experience it so many different ways with different setups!

post #48 of 211

A while back I had two stock 225i headphones on hand and woodied one pair. The cups were a pair of Mahogany Turbulent Labs ones (the model called the "Vintage" I believe.

 

The wood smoothed out the highs a little and made the sound a little less "in-your-face". This is in keeping with all of my other experiences with wooden cups, and makes me wonder what the Magnum X would sound like without a wooden cup around it...

 

Your mileage may vary though. Turbulent and Vibro used to (not sure if they still do) maintain on their site that the cups were more of an aesthetic upgrade than anything else.

post #49 of 211

Thanks for the answers wje and fleasbaby :)

 

fleasbaby, did it change the soundstage much at all from stock?

post #50 of 211
Not that I noticed smily_headphones1.gif
post #51 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamega View Post
 


How about the comparison from stock to each wood respectively? I'm interested on how the wood actually changes the sound. But yeah, like you say, a comparison between those cans would be totally unfair.
This thread really has me wanting to learn how to make my own wooden cups!
 

 

I see Fleasbaby provide a response.  To do a test between the wooden cups and stock would mean soldering the wires to the driver 4 additional times.  The wooden cups are set up so that we don't have to desolder and resolder as we move between the cups.  If I were to introduce the stock cups vs. wooden varieties, it would be a bit risky due to all of the solder work.  Plus with about 30 minutes between tests, it would be hard to test the signature properly.

 

Yes, all Grado drivers are the same diameter - from the SR-60 to the PS-1000.  Even the Grado on ear, neckband variety is supposed to have the same drives as the SR-60i headphones.  Being that this other model is only $50, one can buy one if they need a relatively cheap set of drivers from Grado.  However, if you need the headband, cable and cushions too, then it would be best to go directly for a SR-60 / SR-60i for such purposes.

post #52 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post

A while back I had two stock 225i headphones on hand and woodied one pair. The cups were a pair of Mahogany Turbulent Labs ones (the model called the "Vintage" I believe.

The wood smoothed out the highs a little and made the sound a little less "in-your-face". This is in keeping with all of my other experiences with wooden cups, and makes me wonder what the Magnum X would sound like without a wooden cup around it...

Your mileage may vary though. Turbulent and Vibro used to (not sure if they still do) maintain on their site that the cups were more of an aesthetic upgrade than anything else.

Big difference, I did it just to see, and going from limba/cocobolo to plastic was very very noticeable
post #53 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post


Big difference, I did it just to see, and going from limba/cocobolo to plastic was very very noticeable

 

Sort of like applying the emergency brake on your car when driving 80 MPH on the freeway?

post #54 of 211
It took any and all smoothness to the whole spectrum out. I realize grados arent known for being smooth, but if you go from non laquered natural cups to plastic, you would understand what I mean. You get all this plastic resonance that without knowing what they sounded like in wood, you may just blame the driver for. Because of the resonance the detail starts to just mush together ruining the sound. They just don't sound right. Try it sometime you'll see. This was all with magnum x by the way. And they still reside in plastic, as I havnt had time to build my new limba cups, maybe tomorrow...well see
post #55 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

Big difference, I did it just to see, and going from limba/cocobolo to plastic was very very noticeable

LOL...I think I remember that...I recall another member saying that they had used theirs in aluminum inner sleeves with success though.
post #56 of 211
Aluminum I'm sure would be better, plastic is just nonsense for headphones.
post #57 of 211

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

It took any and all smoothness to the whole spectrum out. I realize grados arent known for being smooth, but if you go from non laquered natural cups to plastic, you would understand what I mean. You get all this plastic resonance that without knowing what they sounded like in wood, you may just blame the driver for. Because of the resonance the detail starts to just mush together ruining the sound. They just don't sound right. Try it sometime you'll see. This was all with magnum x by the way. And they still reside in plastic, as I havnt had time to build my new limba cups, maybe tomorrow...well see

That is very interesting, and I am happy to hear it, just gives me more motivation to eventually learn to make my own cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post
 

 

I see Fleasbaby provide a response.  To do a test between the wooden cups and stock would mean soldering the wires to the driver 4 additional times.  The wooden cups are set up so that we don't have to desolder and resolder as we move between the cups.  If I were to introduce the stock cups vs. wooden varieties, it would be a bit risky due to all of the solder work.  Plus with about 30 minutes between tests, it would be hard to test the signature properly.

 

Yes, all Grado drivers are the same diameter - from the SR-60 to the PS-1000.  Even the Grado on ear, neckband variety is supposed to have the same drives as the SR-60i headphones.  Being that this other model is only $50, one can buy one if they need a relatively cheap set of drivers from Grado.  However, if you need the headband, cable and cushions too, then it would be best to go directly for a SR-60 / SR-60i for such purposes.

Ah yeah, I understand that would be a lot of hassle. And doing it from memory purely is very much objective.
It's fantastic that the drivers are all the same diameter though, it also gives me more motivation to make my own cups. I think I will get the SR-80i for this year, then when I am back in England, I will see if there is a woodworking society at my uni, so I can learn how to make some cups and actually get access to some woodworking equipment. Then, I will cannibalise my SR-80i's.

post #58 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

It took any and all smoothness to the whole spectrum out. I realize grados arent known for being smooth, but if you go from non laquered natural cups to plastic, you would understand what I mean. You get all this plastic resonance that without knowing what they sounded like in wood, you may just blame the driver for. Because of the resonance the detail starts to just mush together ruining the sound. They just don't sound right. Try it sometime you'll see. This was all with magnum x by the way. And they still reside in plastic, as I havnt had time to build my new limba cups, maybe tomorrow...well see

Hemi, where are you sourcing your Limba from? I have found it difficult to locate. Thanks!
post #59 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levictus View Post

Hemi, where are you sourcing your Limba from? I have found it difficult to locate. Thanks!

EBay, I thought it was sketchy at first but will continue to buy off this dealer. Ill have to find the seller info for you. Im sure I could find some at a local mill yard somewhere around here, but they'd have to have it shipped as well. I paid 28 shipped for a 1 1/4 in thich 8 inch wide by 30 inch piece of black limba. Even if its pricey by and means its very convenient. And you pic the exact piece you'll be getting.
post #60 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post
+
Turbulent and Vibro used to (not sure if they still do) maintain on their site that the cups were more of an aesthetic upgrade than anything else.

I  Believe the cups they say don’t effect SQ are the half cup for those who aren’t crazy enough to fully liberate their driver. I believe it’s well established that the tone woods have a big influence on sound.

When I compared one tone-wood I was using to Hard Maple I stopped making cups out of that tone wood because it sounded so bad compared to hard Maple.

In the back of my head though I always had that thought, am I imagining this, is my brain playing\ games with my ears?

 

I had a similar thought the other night after a loving tender moment with my wife. Am I really in love with my wife I thought………….. or………… am I just hard wired through evolution and brain chemistry to feel love so I can pass on my genetic material…..is the evolutionary biology god running a con job on my emotions ?.........................................Damn you Charles Darwin!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Great Grado Experiment (4 tonewoods tested, more to come!)