or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Recommendation for excellent quality full-sized headphone that play well with Dubstep/EDM/Electronic
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommendation for excellent quality full-sized headphone that play well with Dubstep/EDM/Electronic

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

I used to play a lot of video games, so a few year ago I purchased the Astro A40's and have been using them ever since. Although, I no longer play video games and primarily use them to listen to music (and talk on skype, which is a low priority when it comes to determining the correct headphone). I'm in college studying Computer Science, and spend a lot of my time coding at my computer and listening to music while doing this. I also do internships over the summer, and literally spend all day coding. I can easily rack up 4 or 5 hours of straight listening to music while doing this. Hence, I've decided that it's time to invest in a new pair of headphone that better suit my needs now. Although, since my audio/headphones expertise is limited at best, I decided asking people who know their stuff might be beneficial! 

 

I primarily listen to EDM/Electronic/Dubstep. When I first started listening to these genres, I heavily favored the bass, but now I find the mids and highs to be equally important if not more. Having said that, I still enjoy the bass, just not rampant bass. I have a sub in my car for that :L3000:.

 

I've been looking around for about two days now and found that the Sennheiser Momentums are said to be excellent. Although, on more than one occasion, I've read conflicting reviews about their performance when listening to EDM/Electronic/Dubstep - which I presume is due to different expectations with regards to bass.

 

Here are some examples of music that I would be listening to:

 

 

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

 

Thanks!

post #2 of 26

What is your budget

 

will you be listening at home or in the class room with other ppl [I'm also in a PC Tech program and I spend a lot of time at school in front of a PC as well ]

 

So again, what's your price range

are you willing to buy an amp maybe

will you be listening through a PC or a Portable Device of sorts 

and do you think you need isolation [will u b listening in a noisy or quiet area[ 

post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 

Budget: $200 - 400.

Amp: Definitely a possibility, although an explanation of the benefits may be needed.

I'll primarily be listening through my PC.

I generally listen to music in a quiet area, mostly my room.

 

Thanks!

post #4 of 26

IF you are at home open headphones would be the way to go, They have better sound quality and a little more spacious of a sound, but if your around any kind of noise you will hear the outside noise and anything around you will hear the headphones [but I'm a home user of open headphones and I find no issues with it]

 

To start with, remember that headphones are magnets powered by electricity, some headphones require a lot of electricity to be driven or to sound properly, In geeky pc terms, your headphone is the CPU, you know that your CPU has a Base Frequancy or Bus Speed, as you know the multipler multiples that speed resulting in a more powerful CPU. Well the amp is like the multipler, some headphones need more power to work optimally, just as your pc COULD run a BIG program with VERY little Computing power, you know that eventually the cpu is going to hit 100% load and the program will operate very slowly or not at all

 

going back to headphones, a headphone will work without sufficent power, but just as a program running on a slow CPU is well un responsive, a headphone without enough power is also audibly un responsive, or lacking in quality, volume and most noticable bass. So again an amp is needed to provide sufficent power to the headphones

 

now let's talk about another PC based hard ware compent. U know that everything on a PC is stored as bits of data, collections of 0 and 1, those electrical bits have to be converted into analog waves to be enjoyed by the human ear. So every PC has what is know as a D A C or Digital to Analog Converter, this DAC also effects quality, and 9/10 the on board DAC is not teh best sounding one, so I would recommend that you get dac and amp for your home system. The DAC gives you a better quality sound as well as a cleaner signal for the Amp to work with 

 

if you do not mind buying used, the head fi FOR SALE thread has some awesome deals! We at head fi do not sell for profit SO you are bound to save some serious money, and we audiophiles take good care of our gear 

 

Headphones

Amps

Sources

 

That said, the Modi Magni Combo from Schiit offers a great beginer set up, $100 for each compent. also the Beyer Dynamic DT 990 Pro is a wonderful headphone for EDM. I enjoyed it for the longest time, you may want to also look into the O2 Combo, 

 

oDac and O2 Amp are a wonderful pair for the Dt 990, and I would recommend you try to find an oDac and Schiit Magni Amps! 

post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

That said, the Modi Magni Combo from Schiit offers a great beginer set up, $100 for each compent. also the Beyer Dynamic DT 990 Pro is a wonderful headphone for EDM. I enjoyed it for the longest time, you may want to also look into the O2 Combo, 

oDac and O2 Amp are a wonderful pair for the Dt 990, and I would recommend you try to find an oDac and Schiit Magni Amps! 

What about your Soundmagic HP100s, Mshenay, for a closed headphone?
post #6 of 26
Thread Starter 

Hey guys, thanks for all your help!

 

I was talking to my brother who has an extra Xonar Essence STX. I was wondering if this is any good? 

post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


What about your Soundmagic HP100s, Mshenay, for a closed headphone?

They where very much like an Dt 880 but with less mid bass and more Sub bass, I can't recommend the HP 100 for edm. I have heard there are 3 revisions of the HP 100

 

I got the first revision or the earlyiest release. THe consus was the each revision got a little bassier than the previous, this ofc comes at the price of the smoothness of the mids

 

SO the Hp 100 is a very balanced headphone, and I enjoyed it with EDM, but the 990 was better for EDM and classical imo 

post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

They where very much like an Dt 880 but with less mid bass and more Sub bass, I can't recommend the HP 100 for edm. I have heard there are 3 revisions of the HP 100

I got the first revision or the earlyiest release. THe consus was the each revision got a little bassier than the previous, this ofc comes at the price of the smoothness of the mids

SO the Hp 100 is a very balanced headphone, and I enjoyed it with EDM, but the 990 was better for EDM and classical imo 

I think it's fair to recommend the HP100s if they have good sub bass extension. The OP said in his first post, ". . . .now I find the mids and highs to be equally important if not more. Having said that, I still enjoy the bass, just not rampant bass." I think its easy to forget that not everyone is looking for exaggerated bass when it comes to EDM. A more linear bass response would be closer to reproducing what the artist mixed the music for, and then the OP is interested in good mids. Doesn't the DT900 have more recessed mids than a linear response? Or is there something wrong with the transient response/texturing of the bass in the HP100s? Will it respond to a little EQ bass boost if someone wants a little more bass?
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promedeus View Post

Hey guys, thanks for all your help!

I was talking to my brother who has an extra Xonar Essence STX. I was wondering if this is any good? 

Yes. The STX is a very good internal sound card. If he has an "extra" and will give it to you (or give you a really good deal), then I definitely would try that first before buying an external DAC/amp smily_headphones1.gif
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promedeus View Post
 

Hey guys, thanks for all your help!

 

I was talking to my brother who has an extra Xonar Essence STX. I was wondering if this is any good? 


I'm assuming the card is used, new STXs sell for around $175.

So what price is he asking for the used STX?

post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


I think it's fair to recommend the HP100s if they have good sub bass extension. The OP said in his first post, ". . . .now I find the mids and highs to be equally important if not more. Having said that, I still enjoy the bass, just not rampant bass." I think its easy to forget that not everyone is looking for exaggerated bass when it comes to EDM. A more linear bass response would be closer to reproducing what the artist mixed the music for, and then the OP is interested in good mids. Doesn't the DT900 have more recessed mids than a linear response? Or is there something wrong with the transient response/texturing of the bass in the HP100s? Will it respond to a little EQ bass boost if someone wants a little more bass?

The mids on the Dt 990 are recessed but... not as much as people think. There is enough air in the presentation that the mids hold their body and weight wonderfully! In addition, I mentioned the pair of Sound Magics I owned, had recessed bass. it was not linear it was slighty recessed. Not terribly so but... I found it lacking.

 

The AKG K550 has actually the most enjoyable bass response I've heard in a closed can! The issue though with the K550 is seal. For some it works. For others... it works... then your open your mouth and it does not work.

 

So that said... if you need isolation you can try the Sound Magic HP 100 

 

Also, I agree with Cel the STX is a nice internal Sound Card! If you get it for free or very less it would allow you to get a better headphone! In the realm of closed cans, the Mad Dog was also another very wonderful closed can with "linear" bass! In terms of tempiture

 

the dt 990 and Hp 100 are cool like an autumn morning, with warm sunshine grazing again'st your body ever so often, the Dt 990 and Hp 100 are cool and ever so slightly brighter than neutral

 

Where as the Mr Speakers Mad Dog is like a Warm Summer evening! The sun is ever present, and there's a slight breeze,  i.e the Mr Speakers Mad Dog are Warm and just a smidge darker than neutral The DT 990 is about $150 new the HP 100 is $200 new and about 150 used

 

So again if your getting a free Sound card, consider the Mr Speakers Mad Dog as well! About $330 new $260 used

 

AND lastly, there is also the HE 400, the HE 400 for me was a linear upgrade to the DT 990, they had simmilar sound signitures with the HE 400 haveing better Sub bass, the HE 400 is about $300 used making it the most expensive 

 

again if you get the sound card, you could look into a hybrid tube amp as well! I found when I first started out in audio gear. I really enjoyed some of the very entry level Tubes, such as the Indeed G3/ They are about $100 and the tubes will add a nice mid warmth and lushness to the Dt 990 HE 400 and Hp 100

 

but I HATED the Mad Dog with my old Indeed G3, so if you go Mad Dog skip the tube amp 

post #12 of 26

Also check out the Sennheiser HD25/ Amperior. I am always one to recommend open headphones, but if you will be using these at work or in the library, closed is probably the way to go. There are more options in the open category however.

post #13 of 26
Thread Starter 

I'm going to make this short because the post I just wrote, which was large and analytical, didn't get posted and I can't get the text back.

 

Essentially, I've narrowed down my options to the DT990s and the Momentums. 

 

The DT990s will cost me a lot more and will need an amp ($380 + ~$200 [amp] = ~$580), also I lose any chance of mobility (including using them during my internship) - BUT they probably have better sound quality. My question is, how much? Is it worth the loss of mobility and more than double the price for the extra sound quality? The Momentums are easily powered by available sources, isolated (for use in an office setting), and will only set me back $275 for a refurbished pair. If it turns out I need a mobile amp/DAC I could look into a Fiio for about $100 and still be sitting at the initial cost of the better headphones.

 

Since I've never owned a "hi-fi" pair of headphones, I guess I'm having a hard time understanding the difference in sound quality that the two will put out while trying to justify the price difference. 

 

I guess I've also thought more about what I may be using the headphones for in the future. Sure, in the short term I'll be using them mostly on my computer at home, but during the summer I would really like to have a solid pair of headphones for the office (around other people). Additionally, I may find myself more inclined to listen to music on the go if I have good headphones.

 

Grr... Such hard decisions. 

 

Any input regarding these specific issues would be greatly appreciated!!


Edited by Promedeus - 10/14/13 at 9:34pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promedeus View Post
 

I'm going to make this short because the post I just wrote, which was large and analytical, didn't get posted and I can't get the text back.

 

Essentially, I've narrowed down my options to the DT990s and the Momentums. 

 

The DT990s will cost me a lot more and will need an amp ($380 + ~$200 [amp] = ~$580), also I lose any chance of mobility (including using them during my internship) - BUT they probably have better sound quality. My question is, how much? Is it worth the loss of mobility and more than double the price for the extra sound quality? The Momentums are easily powered by available sources, isolated (for use in an office setting), and will only set me back $275 for a refurbished pair. If it turns out I need a mobile amp/DAC I could look into a Fiio for about $100 and still be sitting at the initial cost of the better headphones.

 

Since I've never owned a "hi-fi" pair of headphones, I guess I'm having a hard time understanding the difference in sound quality that the two will put out while trying to justify the price difference. 

 

I guess I've also thought more about what I may be using the headphones for in the future. Sure, in the short term I'll be using them mostly on my computer at home, but during the summer I would really like to have a solid pair of headphones for the office (around other people). Additionally, I may find myself more inclined to listen to music on the go if I have good headphones.

 

Grr... Such hard decisions. 

 

Any input regarding these specific issues would be greatly appreciated!!

I haven't heard the Momentums so I can't really answer your question directly, but I need to point out that a new pair of DT990 Pros costs about $150 on Amazon. Are you in a country other than the US? If you're in the US, you should not be paying $380 for the DT990s. The premiums are not worth the extra money over the pros, but I didn't think that even the premiums cost that much...

post #15 of 26
Thread Starter 

Ah, I was going off this: http://www.headphone.com/headphones/beyerdynamic-dt-990.php

 

That price is certainly more appealing! Darnit, now this is even a harder decision!!!!!!

 

Ok, so;

 

DT990 Pro: $150 + $175 (Xonar might as well get it new, still cheaper than external) = $325 [NEW] 

 

vs.

 

Momentum: $275 [Refurbished]

 

$50 price difference. Essentially negligible.

 

So the real question is, the difference in sound quality vs mobility.

 

Anyone have any experience with these two headphones?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Recommendation for excellent quality full-sized headphone that play well with Dubstep/EDM/Electronic