Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! - Page 63

post #931 of 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan944 View Post


For people who can afford an $800 headphone, and/or it's accompanied amp, it's probably not a deal breaker if it ends up selling for $1200.

 

Probably not, but for some (me included) if it is closer to $800, it will be easier to justify an early purchase. If it is $1200, I would rather wait for it to hit $800 (from $1200), lol! I don't mind waiting a year or two. 

post #932 of 2487
Called it. smily_headphones1.gif
post #933 of 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZheadcase View Post
Here's hoping it is closer to 800 than 1200. beerchug.gif

 

I agree, but we don't really have an assurance that it will fall between those figures until it's actually released.

 

In any case, I'll be disappointed if it's more than $1k, because I don't allow myself to spend more than $1k per component, new or used...

 

Mike

post #934 of 2487

subscribed

post #935 of 2487

800$ is the max I will pay, I was hoping even slightly less.

post #936 of 2487

Doesn't efficiency kind of degrade sound quality? If it's more "portable" than the HE-400 I can't see it sounding better than the HE-500. Also, if it's considered "portable" the same way that the HE-400 is considered "portable" then I really don't care much for it's weight as the HE-500's weight is no problem when being used non-portable...

post #937 of 2487
Two older flagship cans I've owned that sound stellar even off a portable: LCD2, D7000. There are other high end cans that don't demand much, and more rather rely on synergy, and not overall power requirements.

Efficiency or lack of is not a telltale sign of audio fidelity.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/2/14 at 3:55am
post #938 of 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post
 

Doesn't efficiency kind of degrade sound quality? If it's more "portable" than the HE-400 I can't see it sounding better than the HE-500. Also, if it's considered "portable" the same way that the HE-400 is considered "portable" then I really don't care much for it's weight as the HE-500's weight is no problem when being used non-portable...

 

The LCD-X is more efficient than the HE-500 and sounds better (technically), too.

post #939 of 2487
The more I read up, the more excited I am getting about the Oppo HA-1 headphone amp. If the PM-1 ends up being over $1K like everyone is predicting, I just hope it comes with a balanced cable to pair up with their dac/amp. To me, that's way more important than a purdy box...
post #940 of 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscotchguy View Post

The more I read up, the more excited I am getting about the Oppo HA-1 headphone amp. If the PM-1 ends up being over $1K like everyone is predicting, I just hope it comes with a balanced cable to pair up with their dac/amp. To me, that's way more important than a purdy box...

 

I'm done speculating about the white elephant for now. Just wanted to say hello to mrscotchguy and hope that you're enjoying those hd800's!! :D

post #941 of 2487
I am... Ironically the HD-800 has shown the weaknesses in my chain. Frankly my ipad pairs better with it than any other combo I've tried with my equipment. Just need a good dac now.

Hopefully Oppo over delivers like most of its other equipment!
post #942 of 2487

63 pages about the price and no review, lol. OK my 2cs. If they price them at around $500 they can take a big chunk of the HD600/650, DT880 market which will be better for them. This will force Beyer & Sennheiser to go back to their original lower prices or update those models or bring out their own planars (better for all headphone lovers). At $800, planars will always be a niche product.

post #943 of 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head1 View Post
 

63 pages about the price and no review, lol. OK my 2cs. If they price them at around $500 they can take a big chunk of the HD600/650, DT880 market which will be better for them. This will force Beyer & Sennheiser to go back to their original lower prices or update those models or bring out their own planars (better for all headphone lovers). At $800, planars will always be a niche product.


Not really when you can buy T50rp's new for a hundred bucks from BH.

post #944 of 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head1 View Post

63 pages about the price and no review, lol. OK my 2cs. If they price them at around $500 they can take a big chunk of the HD600/650, DT880 market which will be better for them. This will force Beyer & Sennheiser to go back to their original lower prices or update those models or bring out their own planars (better for all headphone lovers). At $800, planars will always be a niche product.

How is this headphone going to take away from the HD600/650 and DT800? These are orthos and those are dynamics. I would say at their current price rage they are looking at the HE-500/Alpha Dog at the lower end, and the LCD-2/HE-6 at the top.
post #945 of 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post
 


Not really when you can buy T50rp's new for a hundred bucks from BH.

But doesn't that sound like 100 bucks in its unmodded form.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!