- 7,163 Posts. Joined 1/2011
- Location: Oz
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productOPPO PM-1tagged by jazzfan, 4/9/14
Related Forum Threads
- OPPO PM-1 HEADPHONES: IMPRESSIONS OF A LONG-TIME OPPO FAN (Now with photos) Last post on 8/3/14 at 8:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Battle of the Modern Planars: LCD-X vs PM-1 vs HE-560 Last post on 8/4/14 at 2:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- Oppo PM-1 Headphones Available For Demonstration | London, UK Last post on 6/4/14 at 8:19am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- OPPO PM-2 Is Available - Post Your Impressions Here Last post on 8/26/14 at 11:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- TOTL HP Shootout: OPPO PM-1, HD800, LCD2.2, T1, HE500, Fostex TH900, HD650, HD600 Last post on 8/24/14 at 10:18am in Portable Source Gear
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
I've received Concero HP from Ressonsense Labs for writing review in russian, but I want to share my thoughts with Head-Fi. As usual, I'll be somewhat brief, as I'm not so good in English, but I...
I’d like to thank John Seaber and the folks at JDS Labs for the C5D loaner unit. Accessories The C5D ships with a 1.5 foot USB mini-B cable, a set of four rubber stick-on feet and an...
This is a review of the upcoming FiiO X1 digital audio player (DAP). Until my first experience with X5, a little over half a year ago, I used to refer to all dedicated audio players as "mp3"...
It's annoying because I didn't read the manual so I naturally fitted the SE215's wrong, and then looked at videos and found the right fit. The SE215 lack bass with the foam tips, so I put on the...
Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! - Page 21
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Only the midrange panels and tweeters of the largest Maggies are 'push/pull' with magnets on both sides of the membrane. All the rest of the panels in their speakers are 'push' only.
I own a pair of maggies similar to the 1.7 which was push only the tension on the stretched plastic membrane pulls itself back to the resting state.
So, lcd3 also one sided magnet, 'push' only too?
No Problem, I thought it may have been, personally I hope it makes it into production as OPPO certainly seem to know what it takes to make good kit.
Weight for me. Look at the hifiman he-4 as an example. One of the lightest planar's out there (350 grams). Still offers a wonderful signature IMO.
I'm dreaming of an lcd that would weight 150 grams less.
My understanding from a bit of research since I do not own these headphones.
In the LCD-2s, you have an array of 12 six per side magnets per driver, these placed on both sides of the membrane in a push-pull configuration
With the LCD-3 you have an array of 16 magnets, 8 per side, per driver as I understand this from a bit of research.
The area of the LCD-2 and the LCD-3 membrane is 6.17 square inches, which is about double the radiating area of a typical dynamic driver of 50mm diameter with 2.5mm maximum excursion available between the magnets.
You can still have some push and pull effect with magnets on one side but Magnepan used to call magnets on one side push like mine some time ago.
Edited by john57 - 10/17/13 at 11:26am
- Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Good headphones for $200 budget? 56 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 2 minutes ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 2 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › 3x Fiio HS2 Headphone Signal Switchers 3 minutes ago
- › FLAC, where can i get more? 5 minutes ago
- › The Sub-$100 Portable Amps Shootout – 11(+1) amps compared 5 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by hans030390
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)