- 7,163 Posts. Joined 1/2011
- Location: Oz
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productOPPO PM-1tagged by jazzfan, 4/9/14
Related Forum Threads
- List of Good High-end Headphone Stores in Switzerland Last post on 3/24/15 at 6:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- High-end iPhone/office setup Last post on 2/3/15 at 7:17am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Comparison Review: HD-800, HD-700, PM-1, and HE-560 Last post on 1/24/15 at 12:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audeze EL-8 Impressions Thread Last post on Yesterday at 5:02 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- OPPO PM-1 / PM-2 Loaner Program Last post on Yesterday at 2:29 pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! - Page 21
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Only the midrange panels and tweeters of the largest Maggies are 'push/pull' with magnets on both sides of the membrane. All the rest of the panels in their speakers are 'push' only.
I own a pair of maggies similar to the 1.7 which was push only the tension on the stretched plastic membrane pulls itself back to the resting state.
So, lcd3 also one sided magnet, 'push' only too?
No Problem, I thought it may have been, personally I hope it makes it into production as OPPO certainly seem to know what it takes to make good kit.
Weight for me. Look at the hifiman he-4 as an example. One of the lightest planar's out there (350 grams). Still offers a wonderful signature IMO.
I'm dreaming of an lcd that would weight 150 grams less.
My understanding from a bit of research since I do not own these headphones.
In the LCD-2s, you have an array of 12 six per side magnets per driver, these placed on both sides of the membrane in a push-pull configuration
With the LCD-3 you have an array of 16 magnets, 8 per side, per driver as I understand this from a bit of research.
The area of the LCD-2 and the LCD-3 membrane is 6.17 square inches, which is about double the radiating area of a typical dynamic driver of 50mm diameter with 2.5mm maximum excursion available between the magnets.
You can still have some push and pull effect with magnets on one side but Magnepan used to call magnets on one side push like mine some time ago.
Edited by john57 - 10/17/13 at 11:26am
- Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!! 2 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 2 minutes ago
- › How and why do members fall in love with second tier headphones? 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › The All new FiiO X1, 192K/24B, PCM5142 DAC and 100mW output with LO... 3 minutes ago
- › Akg k845bt vs k545 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Confused by the Levels of Various Audio Controls 3 minutes ago
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A17 4 minutes ago
- › Euphonic Songs 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by 1Infinity
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by 1Infinity
- › Audio-gd NFB-28 by 1Infinity
- › FiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Player by Currawong
- › T-Peos Altone 350 Hybrid 3 driver IEM by svyr
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by earfonia
- › Topping NX1 Earphone Headphone Portable Stereo MP3 Amplifier by DJScope
- › Minerva Mi-Performer Pro Silicone Custom IEM by CantScareMe
- › Sony MH1 Livesound Hi-Fi Stereo In-Ear Headphones by sbcontt
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by originalsnuffy
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2