- 7,163 Posts. Joined 1/2011
- Location: Oz
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productOPPO PM-1tagged by jazzfan, 4/9/14
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone using an HDphone extension cord with the PM-1? Last post on 11/25/14 at 9:24am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Free Update for PM-1 owners, - Treble boost Last post on 8/2/14 at 9:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- OPPO PM-1 HEADPHONES: IMPRESSIONS OF A LONG-TIME OPPO FAN (Now with photos) Last post on 8/3/14 at 8:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Impression: Oppo Find 7 and Oppo N1's Stock earphones Last post on 7/24/14 at 9:59pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Battle of the Modern Planars: LCD-X vs PM-1 vs HE-560 Last post on 8/4/14 at 2:32am in Headphones (full-size)
Some Background: I’m currently 18 years old which as little as that matters to me seems to be interesting to many people in this community. I’ve always liked music... [[SPOILER]] . Prelude:I...
I Ventured to buy those headphones fater a massive discount in pre-christmas sales here in mexico, for $178 USD i consider them to be a great buy The construction of those cans seems to be...
This is gonna be a simple review BASS For a $7 in ear it is actually really good. A little overbearing at times but quite articulate considering the price. MIDS They are not airy and vocals by...
These headphones sound very precise and balanced. You will hear your music as it was recorded, mixed, and mastered which is the approach I prefer to trying to find headphones that try to EQ things...
Whereas I am also an old school hard-core vinyl aficionado, I (luckily) jumped the digital high-res train early enough to nowadays be equipped with the most necessary hard- and software to be able...
Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! - Page 21
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Only the midrange panels and tweeters of the largest Maggies are 'push/pull' with magnets on both sides of the membrane. All the rest of the panels in their speakers are 'push' only.
I own a pair of maggies similar to the 1.7 which was push only the tension on the stretched plastic membrane pulls itself back to the resting state.
So, lcd3 also one sided magnet, 'push' only too?
No Problem, I thought it may have been, personally I hope it makes it into production as OPPO certainly seem to know what it takes to make good kit.
Weight for me. Look at the hifiman he-4 as an example. One of the lightest planar's out there (350 grams). Still offers a wonderful signature IMO.
I'm dreaming of an lcd that would weight 150 grams less.
My understanding from a bit of research since I do not own these headphones.
In the LCD-2s, you have an array of 12 six per side magnets per driver, these placed on both sides of the membrane in a push-pull configuration
With the LCD-3 you have an array of 16 magnets, 8 per side, per driver as I understand this from a bit of research.
The area of the LCD-2 and the LCD-3 membrane is 6.17 square inches, which is about double the radiating area of a typical dynamic driver of 50mm diameter with 2.5mm maximum excursion available between the magnets.
You can still have some push and pull effect with magnets on one side but Magnepan used to call magnets on one side push like mine some time ago.
Edited by john57 - 10/17/13 at 11:26am
- Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 44 seconds ago
- › OPPO PM-1 / PM-2 Loaner Program 45 seconds ago
- › Fiio E11 + AT ATH AD900x or Beyer DT880 Pro 250? More info inside. 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 3 minutes ago
- › New Release! The K7XX Massdrop First Edition - an exclusive from... 3 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 4 minutes ago
- › Some Leather Cases I made for players like DX50/90 and Fiio X5 5 minutes ago
- › Thinksound Rain2 to pour in ears soon: Impressions and Discussions... 6 minutes ago
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by Mitchell4500
- › Sony MDR-1R by gerelmx1986
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by JAMEZTHEBOI
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Pacal
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by musikaladin
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by Galvatron
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Red) by Mitchell4500
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by Mitchell4500
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by dreamwhisper
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by ahunatu
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)