I live in Los Angeles, and I rarely buy from Amazon.co.uk. I usually buy from Amazon.de because it's cheaper.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productOPPO PM-1tagged by jazzfan, 4/9/14
Related Forum Threads
- List of Good High-end Headphone Stores in Switzerland Last post on 3/24/15 at 6:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- High-end iPhone/office setup Last post on 2/3/15 at 7:17am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Comparison Review: HD-800, HD-700, PM-1, and HE-560 Last post on 2/19/16 at 5:53am in Headphones (full-size)
- Audeze EL-8 Impressions Thread Last post on 7/5/16 at 10:11am in Headphones (full-size)
- OPPO PM-1 / PM-2 Loaner Program Last post on 7/26/16 at 7:21am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! - Page 134
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
When looking at this YouTube Video from HK you'll notice HA-1 going for HKD$10,499 for the HA-1 and PM-1 going for HKD$9,599.
So current exchange would amount to US $1354 for HA-1, and US $1289.39, not as bad.
I also understand that the caveat of paying for shipping for warranty service isn't covered outside of North America may make people upset.
What I don't understand is why there is the expectation that this wouldn't be the case. When I bought my HA-1 from Oppo I had to pay over 1/3 of the unit cost just to get it over the border in to Canada for shipping, taxes, Duty and 'Customs Fees'. I'm only an hour flight from them in the same time zone. I expected this and was not surprised or outraged. Like it or not the US has many perks when it comes to consumer goods, including free shipping and lower prices. That's life.
As for paying for warranty shipping, this is something that many companies do as standard practice and most people don't bat an eyelash. For some reason this is regarded as an exception with Oppo Digital instead of the norm. Why? A while ago I wanted to purchase an item in the UK that didn't ship to North America. Was I disappointed? Yes. Oh well, I moved on.
Edited by x RELIC x - 6/11/14 at 11:47pm
Btw, this whole "Oppo Digital doesnt control international pricing" canard - let me clarify something about this subject. Yes, we all know Oppo Digital isnt responsible for international pricing. So what? When did this become only about Oppo Digital? Oppo is an international player and is going to be selling those headphones globally, right? Someone at Oppo, the overall entity, IS responsible.
I fail to see why, just b/c someone from one subsidiary is posting here, the entire organization gets to play "pass the buck" with pricing.
Because make no mistake - charging 1100 quid for the headphone is nothing short of price-gouging.
I don't disagree with that at all.
However a few things to note...
a) An impressions thread is not the place to complain about it. Especially after the mods specifically said to no longer discuss it there.
Since then, the off topic comments have been moved to this thread. So I that is no longer an issue... for now.
b) Oppo Digital has a representative here to answer questions about the pricing issues, actually has answered all those questions, has also setup DIRECT SALES opportunities
for all international customers, and has said that they would discuss pricing schemes with other resellers and distributors.
Aside from setting fire to all of their business partners, it sounds like they have done as much as possible.
The issue shouldn't have been an issue to begin with, but it is what it is, so we move on to the next point.
c)There are no representatives here from other resellers outside of the USA, so all complaints about pricing fall on deaf ears.
However it does fall on the ears of all the other posters who have grown tired of the pricing complaints.
In no way does that discredit the fact that you have a right to complain, but why do it where it has no chance of helping your cause?
The proper place to send those complaints is directly to the resellers for which you have a complaint against.
Not here on this forum where it only serves to inconvenience other posters and readers.
However, if some people want to fill up a thread like this with useless complaints, more power to them I suppose.
I don't mean for that to be insulting to anyone. It just seems very illogical to me.
Yes - you are right when it comes to excessive complaining and, without retracing this thread, I shan't say that that has been the case or has not been the case. I don't think that a complaint about international pricing is NOT warranted here ... I actually suspect that this truly does more good than a direct complaint to the supplier which may be seen by one customer service operator and that is all. You've acknowledged that the complaint may very well be justified, so it seems your argument is that you can't KEEP complaining - which is probably a fair point. Are we any closer now to resolving this issue, as the last few pages have been quite acrimonious ... not that I DON'T like a good "stoush", but I think we've all found a common ground here. Can we please move on from this now ? Please ?
The setup contained a PM-1 (production), PM-1 (PM-2 tuning) and PM-2 (production). We encouraged people to try all three on the same setups so they can find the headphones and tuning that they preferred. Overall, most did not find a difference between the PM-1 (PM-2 tuning) and PM-2. The housing did not affect the performance; the earpads did.
If you like the sound of the PM-1, then buy the PM-2 and purchase the PM-1 (original) earpads. You will be getting the PM-1 sound without the added cost of purchasing a PM-1.
Without breaking any confidential information, if you have not done so already, and you are seriously considering purchasing the PM-2, head over to the PM-2 website immediately and sign up to be notified on PM-2 headphones immediately.
Well, I had already signed up but did so again with a different email address. Still no notification but hopefully it will be coming very soon.
Well that begs a question then. Is the PM-1 truly a $400 premium for aluminum, a different cable and leather? How is that justified? I for one feel that it is grossly over priced then if a bit of plastic and pleather commands a $400 price decrease. I would actually feel a bit swindled if the sound is the exact same. And wasn't there something mentioned about getting free PM-2 ear pads for the PM-1 owners??? When is that going to happen???
Edited by bneiderman - 8/1/14 at 11:41am
There are many factors in the price of owning the PM-1, which includes the use of leather instead of synthetic materials for the earpads and headband, the use of metal versus plastics for multiple components, two sets of earpds, OCC versus OFC cables, the wood box, and manufacturing costs associated to working with high precision metal/organic components which have very low yields when compared to composite/synthetic components. EDIT: you can see some of the breakdown on the recently updated Knowledge Database article: Understanding the Differences Between the PM-1 and PM-2
The PM-2 tuned PM-1 earpads will become available first to current customers, then as purchasable replacements once we have a supple stock. We anticipate fulfillment of the alternative earpads to begin in two weeks.
Edited by HasturTheYellow - 8/1/14 at 4:10pm
- Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016 3 seconds ago
- › Onkyo DAC Amp HA200 31 seconds ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 1 minute ago
- › Official Free FLAC File Music Sharing Thread 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 2 minutes ago
- › Midrange possibly open-backed full-sized cans suggestions 4 minutes ago
- › iPhone 6s Sound Quality 10 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 11 minutes ago
- › LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance 11 minutes ago
- › A new member ! 11 minutes ago
- › Chord DAVE by Currawong
- › Audeze LCD-4 by Dillan
- › Sennheiser IE80 by AnssiRai
- › Effect Audio Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable by sonickarma
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...