Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! - Page 122

post #1816 of 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaud View Post
 

a phone like the PM1 can perhaps be listened to at much louder volume before discomfort.

 

That is totally true. You can play headphones and speakers with a flat response considerably louder than those with spikes above 1kHz. In fact, sometimes it's hard to know how loud is until the neighbors come over and pound on your door.

post #1817 of 2549

Agree. Not sure how good these are but the PM 2 are expected June 2014 with their  headphone amp preceding them due in April, which I am really looking forward to with their knowledge of building seriously great reference disc players. The PM2 Planars are expected to be priced at $600 and coin. So we may have a Planar for all!

post #1818 of 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstraw79 View Post

Agree. Not sure how good these are but the PM 2 are expected June 2014 with their  headphone amp preceding them due in April, which I am really looking forward to with their knowledge of building seriously great reference disc players. The PM2 Planars are expected to be priced at $600 and coin. So we may have a Planar for all!

Yeah, they have just over an hour to release the HA-1 in April. blink.gif
post #1819 of 2549

My Magnepan 1.6 with a 1200 wpc amp I get so caught up in the music coming from these I never can tell how loud they are playing since they can play very VERY loud as a planar that seemingly can take as much clean signals you throw at it. Even with my BAT tube amp I play it loud and the neighbor across the street came by one evening and asked what album I was spinning as he liked what he heard inside with all of our windows closed. So it must be loud. I just purchased a hand held decibel reader. Forgot the batteries so Im going back out tomorrow to find out just how loud.

post #1820 of 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstraw79 View Post

My Magnepan 1.6 with a 1200 wpc amp I get so caught up in the music coming from these I never can tell how loud they are playing since they can play very VERY loud as a planar that seemingly can take as much clean signals you throw at it. Even with my BAT tube amp I play it loud and the neighbor across the street came by one evening and asked what album I was spinning as he liked what he heard inside with all of our windows closed. So it must be loud. I just purchased a hand held decibel reader. Forgot the batteries so Im going back out tomorrow to find out just how loud.
Are you trying to tell me your oppo was blasting loud enough to be herd by a neighbor across street with your windows closed?!
And you pushed a 1200wpc amp to it?!
Haha good one tongue.gif
post #1821 of 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstraw79 View Post

Agree. Not sure how good these are but the PM 2 are expected June 2014 with their  headphone amp preceding them due in April, which I am really looking forward to with their knowledge of building seriously great reference disc players. The PM2 Planars are expected to be priced at $600 and coin. So we may have a Planar for all!
That means the choice is this PM2 or the Alpha Dog. There will be comparison inevitably and rightly so is my opinion
post #1822 of 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post


That means the choice is this PM2 or the Alpha Dog. There will be comparison inevitably and rightly so is my opinion

+1

 

To me, the AD's have no competition near their price range.  The PM-2, even though it's not closed, will be a legitimate competitor

post #1823 of 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post

Are you trying to tell me your oppo was blasting loud enough to be herd by a neighbor across street with your windows closed?!
And you pushed a 1200wpc amp to it?!
Haha good one tongue.gif

I think he was referring to his Magnepans, which are planar magnetic speakers.
post #1824 of 2549

Maggoie 1.6 and a 1200 Watt amp could do that- I miss having Maggie in the house

post #1825 of 2549

a magnepan 1.6 with a 100W class A amp..pure bliss at a rock bottom price point. Miss my Plinius and 1.6 combo. sigh

post #1826 of 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachu View Post
 

a magnepan 1.6 with a 100W class A amp..pure bliss at a rock bottom price point. Miss my Plinius and 1.6 combo. sigh

 

I still remember the day my first pair of Maggies showed up...ahhhh, the memories...

 

There seem to be quite a few Maggie folks on head-fi...always love seeing that. 

post #1827 of 2549

How did we get on magnepan 1.6?   Back to headphones.   :tongue_smile:

post #1828 of 2549

Some good images of the HA-1, and PM-1 on this article

 

AXPONA 2014: AIX Records drives Oppo’s new toys, sparks applause

post #1829 of 2549

That makes me want to hear my cousins maggie 1.6qr with his mc2205 again... it's been so long and theyre so nice :3

post #1830 of 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiAudio View Post
 

Some good images of the HA-1, and PM-1 on this article

 

AXPONA 2014: AIX Records drives Oppo’s new toys, sparks applause

 

This picture from the article is showing an early prototype of the PM-1:

 

 

Here is a comparison photo I took during Beta testing:

 

 

The final version of the grill can be seen on the left. The original grill was prone to paint chipping.  

 

This was just one of several things that were improved across multiple prototypes while the market waited patiently for the PM-1's release.

 

Here's another:  The earlier prototypes applied more pressure at the bottom of the ear pads than at the top, pinching the wearer's jaw. OPPO solved this by cutting a scallop into the frame - to allow the bottom of the frame to move closer to the wearer's jaw before getting impeded by the cable connection:

 

  

 

 

The headband padding evolved for the better with each new prototype, too.

 

And then there were all of the tweaks that improved the sound...

 

I'm glad they shipped no sooner than they did.  And ditto for the forthcoming HA-1.  I've seen enough of OPPO to know with certainty, the longer we wait, the better the product.

 

Mike

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!