Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! - Page 121

post #1801 of 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post
 

Some beta testers were given units for free. We don't know who they all are.

 

Is it important to you? If so make an excel spreadsheet now and add me to the list. 

post #1802 of 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by keanex View Post
 

Is it important to you? If so make an excel spreadsheet now and add me to the list. 

 

I think it's important too, as it definitely should be taken into account. If you all know each other, that would be easiest.

post #1803 of 2549
Add me to the list too. But I formed my opinions and did my tests before I was given anything.
post #1804 of 2549
It is my own personal belief that this unit will only show full potential with more power.
I hope to have more power soon with the WA7TP power supply but really believe it need some solid state juice.

I know they are efficient cans and that is not what I was after.
I was after controlling the treble nuances to replicate what I hear in terms of palpable instrument separation (compared to the hd800 imaging),
And not what it wants to do, on its own.
It wants to make everything pretty instead of giving it to me raw and defined..
I don't feel the accuracy is fully linear in the trebles. .
That why I need more amp Damping factor (more power)

Also the ultimate oomph from the cans I KNOW it can have (from NYmeet),
I haven't been able to replicate on my present system.
That's why I believe it can scale with more power...
I neeeeed moooore pooowwweeerrr! Lol
Edit:
Hmmm...
HA-1
wink.gif
Edited by Maxx134 - 4/28/14 at 12:22pm
post #1805 of 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post

Add me to the list too. But I formed my opinions and did my tests before I was given anything.


  .


Edited by Raptor34 - 4/28/14 at 12:22pm
post #1806 of 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post

It is my own personal belief that this unit will only show full potential with more power.
wink.gif

I did a direct comparison between the output of my iMac and using a high quality DAC/amp, and I couldn't detect any difference. It sounded just as good with no amp.
post #1807 of 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post


I did a direct comparison between the output of my iMac and using a high quality DAC/amp, and I couldn't detect any difference. It sounded just as good with no amp.

agreed, there is no difference in sound using my AK120 vs. my QB-9 DSD/Headamp GS-X mk2.  I'd blame this on the headphones, but we all know that all DACs & amps sound the same! ;)

post #1808 of 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post

I did a direct comparison between the output of my iMac and using a high quality DAC/amp, and I couldn't detect any difference. It sounded just as good with no amp.
Aha,
Ok and I updated my findings to your high frequency test haha:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685704/oppo-pm-1-a-new-planar-magnetic-headphone/1740_20#post_10492341
post #1809 of 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post


Aha,
Ok and I updated my findings to your high frequency test haha:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685704/oppo-pm-1-a-new-planar-magnetic-headphone/1740_20#post_10492341

 

Am I reading correctly that you boosted the signal 24dB?

post #1810 of 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by keanex View Post

Am I reading correctly that you boosted the signal 24dB?
Woops Actually I cut the rest of spectrum 24 db and listened, even raising the volume 3-6db at times to verify what I listening .
Did I "cheat"? Lol
As you can see there was no overload on the peak meter to create any distortion.


Here is a pic of the same song showing alot trebles.


I had boosted the trebles gradually up to about 4.5db max on the oppo for my own tastes.
Edit I also reduced 10k trebles 6.8db so it has treble energy. .

Edit:
That song "Happy" by Pharrell Williams has alot of treble energy even though it sounds like a clear and non congested song.

Here is a pic of the song with no adjustment in white, and my EQ boost adjustment in red.


This only shows the music not the oppo response to the adjustments.

BUT if the oppo were not fairly neutral,
I would have had to compensate differently in that 10k region to get it down to neutral, but graph shows the settings(yellow line) related well to the display.

I know this is just observation of my actual use so take with a grain of salt. .
Maybe two or three gains tongue.gif
Bottom line is trebles are very neutral..
Not recessed, smily_headphones1.gif
Not sparkling, frown.gif
Not bright or energetic frown.gif
Just nice & plain, except with my EQ on tongue.gif
Edited by Maxx134 - 4/29/14 at 8:53am
post #1811 of 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post


Woops Actually I cut the rest of spectrum 24 db and listened, even raising the volume 3-6db at times to verify what I listening .
Did I "cheat"? Lol
As you can see there was no overload on the peak meter to create any distortion

Thanks for verifying. 

post #1812 of 2549

I know they supposed to be very efficient but for some reason I have to turn the volume knob more than with my HD800 and W3000ANV. I normally go with those to 9 O'clock and wit the PM-1 I have to go almost to 11 O'clock on my WA5-LE. I don't understand why.. :confused_face(1):

post #1813 of 2549

Because they're still planar magnetic with big heavy magnets? :D

post #1814 of 2549

Some amps put out more power into higher impedance loads than they do into lower impedance loads, due to self-protecting current-limiting circuits.  As the headphone impedance comes down (from 300-Ohm to 32-Ohm, for example) the amp can actually draw more current and potentially hurt itself (overheating, for example) when seeing less resistance.  (That's my layman's explanation, anyway.)  

post #1815 of 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post
 

I know they supposed to be very efficient but for some reason I have to turn the volume knob more than with my HD800 and W3000ANV. I normally go with those to 9 O'clock and wit the PM-1 I have to go almost to 11 O'clock on my WA5-LE. I don't understand why.. :confused_face(1):

 

I think that's called perceived loudness... A hardcore HD800 could say they are better suited to preserving one's hearing as the midrange presence is bound to limit the volume you listen to. Oppositely, a phone like the PM1 can perhaps be listened to at much louder volume before discomfort.

 

The same occurs with Stax phones, in particular SR007 vs. SR009. The SR009 is not particularly more sensitive but it's voicing is such it sounds much louder than 007 at similar volume level (maybe 3-4dB perceived difference for just 1dB extra efficiency or so - efficiency being defined as SPL for 1kHz pure tone or some similar non-musical test).


Edited by arnaud - 4/29/14 at 4:10pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!