How successful have companies been by releasing a flagship or +$1k headphone as a first on a brand not known for creating such items? This is a serious question.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productOPPO PM-1tagged by jazzfan, 4/9/14
Related Forum Threads
- List of Good High-end Headphone Stores in Switzerland Last post on 3/24/15 at 6:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- High-end iPhone/office setup Last post on 2/3/15 at 7:17am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Comparison Review: HD-800, HD-700, PM-1, and HE-560 Last post on 1/24/15 at 12:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audeze EL-8 Impressions Thread Last post on 5/11/15 at 12:07am in Headphones (full-size)
- OPPO PM-1 / PM-2 Loaner Program Last post on Today at 11:24 am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! - Page 12
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
One product, next to their other, very expensive products. This dac/amp looks like a lot more was put into it than that dvd player.... I don't expect it be in the $500.
But we'll see...
One thing I have liked about all planar's I have heard, is the upper mids are always amazing. I don't know why, but thats always the highlights of planars for me..
Ink-black background, "planar bass" aka a lot of grunt and linear extension in the bass region with minimal bloat, excellent instrument/vocal separation and 3D imaging, and unique midrange timbre. All very overgeneralized points of course, but you get my drift.
In simpler terms, they sound ******* amazing (IMO of course :3)
Here's the thing - I had the Mad Dogs and was seriously underwhelmed by the bass, hence my question. Wasn't really impressed by them in any way. Maybe I just prefer the fun sounding phones as they say.
T50RP driver's architecture is quite different from Audeze's or Hifiman's; that's why I stressed that those points I made were overgeneralizations.
Planars are great for their bass QUALITY not exactly for their bass QUANTITY (at least, that's the impression I've been getting so far through everything I've read / experienced). Most of your headphones are aimed toward bass QUANTITY rather than QUALITY
Its either too diffused and not coherent (AB), too laid back with the bass overpowering it (Audeze) or uncalledforly bright at times (Hifiman).
Release date is by end of the year. Will work very well off an I Phone,and is a good match for the headphone amp of the BDP105 dvd player (which I own), unlike Audeze or other orthos. More information to come over the next month or so, before it's released.
This is all from customer service at OPPO.
But, it's also fun to speculate.
I was hoping this to be true.
The Oppo 105 headphone amp is a pretty good one for the cans that it will drive.
So think about it...a world class DVD/CD player with USB input, running through a well regarded DAC, to a very good headphone amp, with a set of (hopefully) great sounding Planar Magnetic's?
$1200.00(105) + $300-$500?(PM-1's) = One heckofa listening setup!
Sign me up!
- Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 21 seconds ago
- › Need help picking a pair of headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 3 minutes ago
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon Now Available 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware 5 minutes ago
- › Review- VPI Nomad Turntable 7 minutes ago
- › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market 8 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 10 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by goodyfresh
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by goodyfresh
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by snellemin
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by lin0003
- › Bette 10MM 1+1 Hybrid Wood Black by BloodyPenguin
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by sk2290
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by wrathzombie
- › RHA T20 by Wyd4
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Stillhart
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3