How successful have companies been by releasing a flagship or +$1k headphone as a first on a brand not known for creating such items? This is a serious question.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productOPPO PM-1tagged by jazzfan, 4/9/14
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone using an HDphone extension cord with the PM-1? Last post on 11/25/14 at 9:24am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Free Update for PM-1 owners, - Treble boost Last post on 8/2/14 at 9:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- OPPO PM-1 HEADPHONES: IMPRESSIONS OF A LONG-TIME OPPO FAN (Now with photos) Last post on 8/3/14 at 8:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Impression: Oppo Find 7 and Oppo N1's Stock earphones Last post on 7/24/14 at 9:59pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Battle of the Modern Planars: LCD-X vs PM-1 vs HE-560 Last post on 8/4/14 at 2:32am in Headphones (full-size)
Purchased this system off of Ebay. Overall very good sound, impressive sound output with powerful bass response, at its price point ($250} I think it is the system to beat, the satellites sound...
I got these from Amazon. Truth be told, I was a bit skeptical due to lack of reviews at the time (positive or negative). But I was ordering my Crossfade LPs [they good or bad, is an entirely...
These have been a real dream to listen to. They have a really good range of sound not artificial sounding at all. They have have as a matter fact excellent tremble. They don't pull the mids to...
Ok! Point number 1: horrible button layout! Point number 2: excellent sound quality! The stock theme is badly designed. EDIT: There are custom themes that make the player look much...
I’ve had my Dragon Inspire IHA-1 now for a sufficient time period to post my thoughts. I will use a subjective 5 point scoring system. Setup: Power Conditioning: Blue Circle...
Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! - Page 12
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
One product, next to their other, very expensive products. This dac/amp looks like a lot more was put into it than that dvd player.... I don't expect it be in the $500.
But we'll see...
One thing I have liked about all planar's I have heard, is the upper mids are always amazing. I don't know why, but thats always the highlights of planars for me..
Ink-black background, "planar bass" aka a lot of grunt and linear extension in the bass region with minimal bloat, excellent instrument/vocal separation and 3D imaging, and unique midrange timbre. All very overgeneralized points of course, but you get my drift.
In simpler terms, they sound ******* amazing (IMO of course :3)
Here's the thing - I had the Mad Dogs and was seriously underwhelmed by the bass, hence my question. Wasn't really impressed by them in any way. Maybe I just prefer the fun sounding phones as they say.
T50RP driver's architecture is quite different from Audeze's or Hifiman's; that's why I stressed that those points I made were overgeneralizations.
Planars are great for their bass QUALITY not exactly for their bass QUANTITY (at least, that's the impression I've been getting so far through everything I've read / experienced). Most of your headphones are aimed toward bass QUANTITY rather than QUALITY
Its either too diffused and not coherent (AB), too laid back with the bass overpowering it (Audeze) or uncalledforly bright at times (Hifiman).
Release date is by end of the year. Will work very well off an I Phone,and is a good match for the headphone amp of the BDP105 dvd player (which I own), unlike Audeze or other orthos. More information to come over the next month or so, before it's released.
This is all from customer service at OPPO.
But, it's also fun to speculate.
I was hoping this to be true.
The Oppo 105 headphone amp is a pretty good one for the cans that it will drive.
So think about it...a world class DVD/CD player with USB input, running through a well regarded DAC, to a very good headphone amp, with a set of (hopefully) great sounding Planar Magnetic's?
$1200.00(105) + $300-$500?(PM-1's) = One heckofa listening setup!
Sign me up!
- Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › HD600 vs DT880 for orchestral cinematic music 1 minute ago
- › What Happened to Head-Fi? (Rant) 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X3K 3 minutes ago
- › Seattle Meet 12/06/14 Impressions 5 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 6 minutes ago
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 6 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 7 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 + cwm recovery Latest Update: 2014-09-15 7 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 7 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 10 minutes ago
- › Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500 High-Power 2.1 PC Speaker System... by Croozer
- › V-MODA Bass Freq Metal In-Ear Noise-Isolating Headphone (Gunmetal... by atkhan
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by Ragingfighter
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by hstubc
- › Inspire by Dennis Had IHA-1 Dragon Version by BlakeT
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by JoeDoe
- › Koss RUK 30K Noise Isolating In-Ear Stereophone, Black by ajlan
- › Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi by Ataka
- › Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset by TsukiNick
- › SHOZY Alien DAP by AudioGG
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)