Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! - Page 12

post #166 of 2487

How successful have companies been by releasing a flagship or +$1k headphone as a first on a brand not known for creating such items? This is a serious question.

post #167 of 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS21 View Post


Actually, Oppo has a universal SACD/DVD-A/Blu-Ray/etc. player for $500. 

One product, next to their other, very expensive products. This dac/amp looks like a lot more was put into it than that dvd player.... I don't expect it be in the $500.

But we'll see...
post #168 of 2487

Very interested for the right price:bigsmile_face:

post #169 of 2487

I wonder if that is a plastic or metal housing..

post #170 of 2487
What's the attraction with planar magnetics over dynamic drivers? Serious question. Seems the bass is lacking from what I have read for comparable pricing.
post #171 of 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

What's the attraction with planar magnetics over dynamic drivers? Serious question. Seems the bass is lacking from what I have read for comparable pricing.

One thing I have liked about all planar's I have heard, is the upper mids are always amazing. I don't know why, but thats always the highlights of planars for me..

post #172 of 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

What's the attraction with planar magnetics over dynamic drivers? Serious question. Seems the bass is lacking from what I have read for comparable pricing.

Ink-black background, "planar bass" aka a lot of grunt and linear extension in the bass region with minimal bloat, excellent instrument/vocal separation and 3D imaging, and unique midrange timbre. All very overgeneralized points of course, but you get my drift.

post #173 of 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

Ink-black background, "planar bass" aka a lot of grunt and linear extension in the bass region with minimal bloat, excellent instrument/vocal separation and 3D imaging, and unique midrange timbre. All very overgeneralized points of course, but you get my drift.

In simpler terms, they sound ******* amazing (IMO of course :3)

post #174 of 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post

In simpler terms, they sound ******* amazing (IMO of course :3)

Here's the thing - I had the Mad Dogs and was seriously underwhelmed by the bass, hence my question. Wasn't really impressed by them in any way. Maybe I just prefer the fun sounding phones as they say.
post #175 of 2487

Looking at your assortment of headphones in your signature I can see why you were underwhelmed by their bass quantity.

post #176 of 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


Here's the thing - I had the Mad Dogs and was seriously underwhelmed by the bass, hence my question. Wasn't really impressed by them in any way. Maybe I just prefer the fun sounding phones as they say.

T50RP driver's architecture is quite different from Audeze's or Hifiman's; that's why I stressed that those points I made were overgeneralizations.

post #177 of 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


Here's the thing - I had the Mad Dogs and was seriously underwhelmed by the bass, hence my question. Wasn't really impressed by them in any way. Maybe I just prefer the fun sounding phones as they say.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

Looking at your assortment of headphones in your signature I can see why you were underwhelmed by their bass quantity.

Agreed...

Planars are great for their bass QUALITY not exactly for their bass QUANTITY (at least, that's the impression I've been getting so far through everything I've read / experienced). Most of your headphones are aimed toward bass QUANTITY rather than QUALITY :basshead:

post #178 of 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post

Agreed...
Planars are great for their bass QUALITY not exactly for their bass QUANTITY (at least, that's the impression I've been getting so far through everything I've read / experienced). Most of your headphones are aimed toward bass QUANTITY rather than QUALITY basshead.gif
True, though you can boost sub bass to no seeming end on planars, and they respond exceedingly well.
post #179 of 2487
The current line of planars suck with treble separation that is fact if you look at all the measurements for the Hifiman/AB/Audeze and various Fostex T50RP units.

Its either too diffused and not coherent (AB), too laid back with the bass overpowering it (Audeze) or uncalledforly bright at times (Hifiman).
post #180 of 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG52 View Post
 

Release date is by end of the year. Will work very well off an I Phone,and is a good match for the headphone amp of the BDP105 dvd player (which I own), unlike Audeze or other orthos. More information to come over the next month or so, before it's released. 

 

This is all from customer service at OPPO. 

 

But, it's also fun to speculate. ;) 

I was hoping this to be true.

The Oppo 105 headphone amp is a pretty good one for the cans that it will drive.

So think about it...a world class DVD/CD player with USB input, running through a well regarded DAC, to a very good headphone amp, with a set of (hopefully) great sounding Planar Magnetic's? 

$1200.00(105) +  $300-$500?(PM-1's) = One heckofa listening setup!:beerchug:

Sign me up!:) 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!