How successful have companies been by releasing a flagship or +$1k headphone as a first on a brand not known for creating such items? This is a serious question.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productOPPO PM-1tagged by jazzfan, 4/9/14
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone using an HDphone extension cord with the PM-1? Last post on 9/5/14 at 7:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Free Update for PM-1 owners, - Treble boost Last post on 8/2/14 at 9:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- OPPO PM-1 HEADPHONES: IMPRESSIONS OF A LONG-TIME OPPO FAN (Now with photos) Last post on 8/3/14 at 8:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Battle of the Modern Planars: LCD-X vs PM-1 vs HE-560 Last post on 8/4/14 at 2:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- Oppo PM-1 Headphones Available For Demonstration | London, UK Last post on 6/4/14 at 8:19am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! - Page 12
Gear mentioned in this thread:
One product, next to their other, very expensive products. This dac/amp looks like a lot more was put into it than that dvd player.... I don't expect it be in the $500.
But we'll see...
One thing I have liked about all planar's I have heard, is the upper mids are always amazing. I don't know why, but thats always the highlights of planars for me..
Ink-black background, "planar bass" aka a lot of grunt and linear extension in the bass region with minimal bloat, excellent instrument/vocal separation and 3D imaging, and unique midrange timbre. All very overgeneralized points of course, but you get my drift.
In simpler terms, they sound ******* amazing (IMO of course :3)
Here's the thing - I had the Mad Dogs and was seriously underwhelmed by the bass, hence my question. Wasn't really impressed by them in any way. Maybe I just prefer the fun sounding phones as they say.
T50RP driver's architecture is quite different from Audeze's or Hifiman's; that's why I stressed that those points I made were overgeneralizations.
Planars are great for their bass QUALITY not exactly for their bass QUANTITY (at least, that's the impression I've been getting so far through everything I've read / experienced). Most of your headphones are aimed toward bass QUANTITY rather than QUALITY
Its either too diffused and not coherent (AB), too laid back with the bass overpowering it (Audeze) or uncalledforly bright at times (Hifiman).
Release date is by end of the year. Will work very well off an I Phone,and is a good match for the headphone amp of the BDP105 dvd player (which I own), unlike Audeze or other orthos. More information to come over the next month or so, before it's released.
This is all from customer service at OPPO.
But, it's also fun to speculate.
I was hoping this to be true.
The Oppo 105 headphone amp is a pretty good one for the cans that it will drive.
So think about it...a world class DVD/CD player with USB input, running through a well regarded DAC, to a very good headphone amp, with a set of (hopefully) great sounding Planar Magnetic's?
$1200.00(105) + $300-$500?(PM-1's) = One heckofa listening setup!
Sign me up!
- Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 2 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 5 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid introduction / impressions -... 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7, what is your dream DAP? 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › AKG K550 Reference Headphones FOR SALE 10 minutes ago
- › The All-New WA7 Fireflies from Woo Audio 10 minutes ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 10 minutes ago
- › Colorfly C3 Appreciation and Discussion Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)