Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! - Page 76

post #1126 of 1509
Jude, did Oppo by chance lend you a HA-1 to drive those prototypes?

(Oh yeah, btw, thanks for the clarification)

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #1127 of 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


They already have.........I've moved on and may not circle back to these.  

I had a my money burning a hole in my pocket for these so long I blew it on amother headphone.

They could have updated there expected eta instead of staying quiet and leading us on holding our wallets because now I got tired and bought something else...

I would still be happier if they said in December that it would take another 5mo..
Why be scared of posting a far off date?

I don't like their method od staying quiet and then suddenly springing it on us,
because most of us are not rich and NEED TIME to save!

So a Little advance warning would definitely help initial sales..
Edited by Maxx134 - 2/17/14 at 6:32am
post #1128 of 1509

The OPPO BDP-105 nearly walks on water for me, so I'll be patient, for another year?

post #1129 of 1509
I Will be interested in hearing this if it comes to be sold through addicted to audio, though knowing the importer taxes in Australia it may very well be at a higher premium, though it stays relative with other high end models. Anywhoo it is annoying being given no date for the release, wait too long and the he560 will be upon us, maybe even the new Fostex - slight hype killer for the Oppo piece. Oppo will be hoping on enough of a hype train as it is especially with so man my models that have already proven their quality.
post #1130 of 1509

If you don't mind my asking, but what are Planar magnets and how are they different from the Neodymium magnets that everyone says are so good? 

 

Thank you for the clarification. 

post #1131 of 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarinetsRock View Post
 

If you don't mind my asking, but what are Planar magnets and how are they different from the Neodymium magnets that everyone says are so good? 

 

Thank you for the clarification. 


complicated question and complicated response.

the same thing: why the electrostatic sounds better compared to dynamic and ortho?

many people say that in the ortho the movement of the driver is small compared to the dynamic driver and exist less distorsion.

in the electrstatic the movement is minimal.

i´m not a techincal and sorry for my english but i think that each techonology has strengths and weaknesses.

post #1132 of 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarinetsRock View Post

If you don't mind my asking, but what are Planar magnets and how are they different from the Neodymium magnets that everyone says are so good? 

Thank you for the clarification. 

http://headfonics.com/2011/05/dynamic-vs-orthodynamic-vs-electrostatic-which-is-which/
post #1133 of 1509

How does that question have to do with electrostatics?

 

 Planar magnetic is a style of flat driver using magnets on either side of the flat membrane.  The flat diaphragm moves between the magnets on either side of it.

 

Neodymium is simply a type of magnet only that is used in drivers. It's used in the construction of  regular dynamic drivers, as well as Planar Magnetic drivers ( a.k.a. isodynamic/orthodynamic )

post #1134 of 1509

There isn't such a thing as planar magnet anyway. :D 

I am one of the few patiently waiting with great anticipation to the new planar from Oppo. Come on guys!


Edited by zenpunk - 2/18/14 at 4:34am
post #1135 of 1509
If that was a response to me, that is an article that explains the differences between orthodynamic and typicsl dynamic phones to a newer user in case they don't know what they are as evident by the question. Electrostatics were included in the article, even if the person did not ask about them. I'm sure they are capable of ignoring the electrostatic page of the article if they want!
Edited by Eternal Schism - 2/18/14 at 4:54am
post #1136 of 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick n View Post
 

How does that question have to do with electrostatics?

 

 Planar magnetic is a style of flat driver using magnets on either side of the flat membrane.  The flat diaphragm moves between the magnets on either side of it.

 

Neodymium is simply a type of magnet only that is used in drivers. It's used in the construction of  regular dynamic drivers, as well as Planar Magnetic drivers ( a.k.a. isodynamic/orthodynamic )

+1, "planar" magnets aren't a thing. Neodymium is the most powerful type of magnet we have right now. Most modern orthos use neo magnets.

post #1137 of 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post
 

+1, "planar" magnets aren't a thing. Neodymium is the most powerful type of magnet we have right now. Most modern orthos use neo magnets.

I find it curious that for the last decade of materials research, no stronger non-EM magnet (relative to neodymium) has risen in the market. Is neodymium really the limit?

post #1138 of 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post
 

+1, "planar" magnets aren't a thing. Neodymium is the most powerful type of magnet we have right now. Most modern orthos use neo magnets.


Superconductors anyone?

post #1139 of 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post
 


Superconductors anyone?

 

That's why I listen to my LCD-2 in a meat locker.  Dropping the temperature just a few degrees improves the bass control.

post #1140 of 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post
 

 

That's why I listen to my LCD-2 in a meat locker.  Dropping the temperature just a few degrees improves the bass control.


Ah the true audiophiles room. Sound deadend, climate controlled, and no fear of interruption!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!