Recent Images In This Thread
- productOPPO PM-1tagged by jazzfan, 4/9/14
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone using an HDphone extension cord with the PM-1? Last post on 11/25/14 at 9:24am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Free Update for PM-1 owners, - Treble boost Last post on 8/2/14 at 9:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- OPPO PM-1 HEADPHONES: IMPRESSIONS OF A LONG-TIME OPPO FAN (Now with photos) Last post on 8/3/14 at 8:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Impression: Oppo Find 7 and Oppo N1's Stock earphones Last post on 7/24/14 at 9:59pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Battle of the Modern Planars: LCD-X vs PM-1 vs HE-560 Last post on 8/4/14 at 2:32am in Headphones (full-size)
Purchased this system off of Ebay. Overall very good sound, impressive sound output with powerful bass response, at its price point ($250} I think it is the system to beat, the satellites sound...
I got these from Amazon. Truth be told, I was a bit skeptical due to lack of reviews at the time (positive or negative). But I was ordering my Crossfade LPs [they good or bad, is an entirely...
These have been a real dream to listen to. They have a really good range of sound not artificial sounding at all. They have have as a matter fact excellent tremble. They don't pull the mids to...
Ok! Point number 1: horrible button layout! Point number 2: excellent sound quality! The stock theme is badly designed. EDIT: There are custom themes that make the player look much...
I’ve had my Dragon Inspire IHA-1 now for a sufficient time period to post my thoughts. I will use a subjective 5 point scoring system. Setup: Power Conditioning: Blue Circle...
Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! - Page 74
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
FYI the BDP DAC uses a dual Sabre32 chip.
My take the BDP is exceptional for Blu-Ray, SACD, CD and USB play. Very versatile inputs and outputs
Not so impressive as a stand alone DAC and the HP out sux
If anyone wants me to, I could post a summary of a recent review of a 18k € Lansche speaker in german magazine Stereoplay. In that issue there's also an interview with Mr. Lansche himself where he talks about possibilities and limitations of plasma transducers.
I disagree completely. Not my Corda Concerto, not my Violectric V200 can equal the resolution of the HP-out on the 105. Fed from a USB stick, it sounds even better.
I assume whatever the list price will be will not dictate the selling price which would fluctuate when the product is mass produced and has to move off the shelf.
So you guys keep on with the high price points & it may be a flop for aiming too high in price.
If that price is one cent over what I want to pay,
I am going with the sure thing which to me is the Senn HD800
Edited by Maxx134 - 2/3/14 at 9:42pm
I think we'll get a debut announcement within the next month. If price point is leaking out and we know that some top reviewers have been given near-production pairs to test, we know that Oppo is pretty close.
I remember the hill plasmatronic speakers from awhile back. They were the first plasma tweetered speaker I believe. They were large hybrid speakers looking something like a walnut encased refrigerator.
They relied on huge industrial helium gas tanks which you had to install from the rear. They had a huge tube amplifier as well.
A local dealer had them for audition and from what I remember from listening to them at the time which was back in the 70s I believe was that they disappeared like no other speaker at the time on the upper frequencies but the bass was too slow so there was a discontinuity between the upper frequencies and the bass.
But on a choral recording that I remembered hearing on them the sound was just heavenly. You could virtually see the faces on each singer of this large choral ensemble. It was just fantastic.
I have never heard any speaker that could approach them on choral music even to this very day. They truly were a special speaker. But not the most practical speaker in any sense I believed they weighed in at over 500 pounds a piece.
They also gave rise to ozone emissions so you had to have adequate ventilation in the room.
The upper frequencies on this speaker were amazing.
Edited by buson160man - 2/5/14 at 6:28pm
Historically, commercial plasma tweeters go back to at least the 50s, when Dukane sold their "Ionovac" (Ionophane in the UK) series of speakers. They still pop up occasionally on E-bay and sell in the ~$2000 range - way more than when new. Although they had fabulous highs, they were plagued by many of the same problems as the Hill and other more recent designs: poor integration with the slower, dynamic portions of the speaker, ozone production, and the catabolic decay of the electrodes. It's a great idea, just really difficult to implement well.
- Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Headphone Recommendation (And Any Accessories Needed)! 1 minute ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 2 minutes ago
- › Audio Engine A5+ 2 minutes ago
- › Geek HPA by LH Labs 3 minutes ago
- › Matrix Mini-i Pro Impressions? 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Modi USB DAC 5 minutes ago
- › Koss SP330 thread 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R 7 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 + cwm recovery Latest Update: 2014-09-15 7 minutes ago
- › Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500 High-Power 2.1 PC Speaker System... by Croozer
- › V-MODA Bass Freq Metal In-Ear Noise-Isolating Headphone (Gunmetal... by atkhan
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by Ragingfighter
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by hstubc
- › Inspire by Dennis Had IHA-1 Dragon Version by BlakeT
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by JoeDoe
- › Koss RUK 30K Noise Isolating In-Ear Stereophone, Black by ajlan
- › Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi by Ataka
- › Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset by TsukiNick
- › SHOZY Alien DAP by AudioGG
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)