Recent Images In This Thread
- productOPPO PM-1tagged by jazzfan, 4/9/14
Related Forum Threads
- List of Good High-end Headphone Stores in Switzerland Last post on 3/24/15 at 6:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- High-end iPhone/office setup Last post on 2/3/15 at 7:17am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Comparison Review: HD-800, HD-700, PM-1, and HE-560 Last post on 1/24/15 at 12:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audeze EL-8 Impressions Thread Last post on 5/11/15 at 12:07am in Headphones (full-size)
- OPPO PM-1 / PM-2 Loaner Program Last post on Yesterday at 7:02 pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank CTC Audio for providing me with a review sample of T-Peos Baguette IEMs in exchange for my honest opinion. This IEM is available at...
At the time this review was written, the T-Peos Amadeus dual hybrid earphone was on sale for $79.00 USD on CTC Audio’s website. Here is a link to a listing of their product at the time of the...
I recently upgraded my 16GB version to 64GB for less than 200 bucks. I wanted to upgrade to the newer models, but I'm not going to waste my money on something that can play the same music for more...
I am not an audiophile myself, rather a music lover, searching for the holy grail of SQ that repoduces life-like sound out from records BUILD QUALITY (CRAFTSMANSHIP) Very well done here,...
Cayin N6 Pros-quality build & sound, UI, neutralish, amp not needed Cons-battery life could be longer, large, gets warm Settings- low gain, soft, no eq. Note: I had an...
Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! - Page 74
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
FYI the BDP DAC uses a dual Sabre32 chip.
My take the BDP is exceptional for Blu-Ray, SACD, CD and USB play. Very versatile inputs and outputs
Not so impressive as a stand alone DAC and the HP out sux
If anyone wants me to, I could post a summary of a recent review of a 18k € Lansche speaker in german magazine Stereoplay. In that issue there's also an interview with Mr. Lansche himself where he talks about possibilities and limitations of plasma transducers.
I disagree completely. Not my Corda Concerto, not my Violectric V200 can equal the resolution of the HP-out on the 105. Fed from a USB stick, it sounds even better.
I assume whatever the list price will be will not dictate the selling price which would fluctuate when the product is mass produced and has to move off the shelf.
So you guys keep on with the high price points & it may be a flop for aiming too high in price.
If that price is one cent over what I want to pay,
I am going with the sure thing which to me is the Senn HD800
Edited by Maxx134 - 2/3/14 at 9:42pm
I think we'll get a debut announcement within the next month. If price point is leaking out and we know that some top reviewers have been given near-production pairs to test, we know that Oppo is pretty close.
I remember the hill plasmatronic speakers from awhile back. They were the first plasma tweetered speaker I believe. They were large hybrid speakers looking something like a walnut encased refrigerator.
They relied on huge industrial helium gas tanks which you had to install from the rear. They had a huge tube amplifier as well.
A local dealer had them for audition and from what I remember from listening to them at the time which was back in the 70s I believe was that they disappeared like no other speaker at the time on the upper frequencies but the bass was too slow so there was a discontinuity between the upper frequencies and the bass.
But on a choral recording that I remembered hearing on them the sound was just heavenly. You could virtually see the faces on each singer of this large choral ensemble. It was just fantastic.
I have never heard any speaker that could approach them on choral music even to this very day. They truly were a special speaker. But not the most practical speaker in any sense I believed they weighed in at over 500 pounds a piece.
They also gave rise to ozone emissions so you had to have adequate ventilation in the room.
The upper frequencies on this speaker were amazing.
Edited by buson160man - 2/5/14 at 6:28pm
Historically, commercial plasma tweeters go back to at least the 50s, when Dukane sold their "Ionovac" (Ionophane in the UK) series of speakers. They still pop up occasionally on E-bay and sell in the ~$2000 range - way more than when new. Although they had fabulous highs, they were plagued by many of the same problems as the Hill and other more recent designs: poor integration with the slower, dynamic portions of the speaker, ozone production, and the catabolic decay of the electrodes. It's a great idea, just really difficult to implement well.
- Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › "The Lab" 24 seconds ago
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 1 minute ago
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand + Appreciation 2 minutes ago
- › Room feel 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 vs X1 2 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 3 minutes ago
- › Analytical headphones 5 minutes ago
- › Destiny 5 minutes ago
- › T-Peos Baguette Dynamic Earphones by twister6
- › T-Peos Amadeus dual hybrid in-ear monitor with microphone and remote by Hisoundfi
- › Apple iPhone 4S 16GB - AT&T - Black by snellemin
- › OPPO HA-2 by gerelmx1986
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by peareye
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by dnun8086
- › Luxury & Precision LP5 32bit DSD Portable Lossless Music Player by daduy
- › AWEI ES-900i Headset Earphones Speakers with Mic for Smart Phone -... by mrplt
- › AKG K712 Pro by KopaZ
- › Noontec Hammo S Over Ear Headphone Audiophile Sound Stylish Looking... by twister6
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2