Recent Images In This Thread
- productOPPO PM-1tagged by jazzfan, 4/9/14
Related Forum Threads
- List of Good High-end Headphone Stores in Switzerland Last post on 3/24/15 at 6:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- High-end iPhone/office setup Last post on 2/3/15 at 7:17am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Comparison Review: HD-800, HD-700, PM-1, and HE-560 Last post on 1/24/15 at 12:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audeze EL-8 Impressions Thread Last post on 5/11/15 at 12:07am in Headphones (full-size)
- OPPO PM-1 / PM-2 Loaner Program Last post on Yesterday at 10:34 pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Me: am an amateur musician & avid admirer of music from India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
I bought these on Geekbuying after a considerable price drop to about $16 USD. Having missed out on the hype for the Piston 2, I decided to pick up the Piston 3 instead. The other bang-for-buck IEM...
My WA5-LE is by far the most expensive component in my system, but I can see why. The moment I un-packaged this very heavy piece of kit, I could tell I was in for a ride. By size alone it...
INTRODUCTION Being a fan of the RHA MA750 (RHA's first flagship IEM), I was quite excited to hear when RHA released the T10i. The new stainless shells, novel "memory wire" implementation,...
Microsoft Lumia 435 Quick Review Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/773374/microsoft-lumia-435-review-by-mark2410 Brief: An insanely cheap wonder device. Price: £30 payg or...
Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! - Page 74
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
FYI the BDP DAC uses a dual Sabre32 chip.
My take the BDP is exceptional for Blu-Ray, SACD, CD and USB play. Very versatile inputs and outputs
Not so impressive as a stand alone DAC and the HP out sux
If anyone wants me to, I could post a summary of a recent review of a 18k € Lansche speaker in german magazine Stereoplay. In that issue there's also an interview with Mr. Lansche himself where he talks about possibilities and limitations of plasma transducers.
I disagree completely. Not my Corda Concerto, not my Violectric V200 can equal the resolution of the HP-out on the 105. Fed from a USB stick, it sounds even better.
I assume whatever the list price will be will not dictate the selling price which would fluctuate when the product is mass produced and has to move off the shelf.
So you guys keep on with the high price points & it may be a flop for aiming too high in price.
If that price is one cent over what I want to pay,
I am going with the sure thing which to me is the Senn HD800
Edited by Maxx134 - 2/3/14 at 9:42pm
I think we'll get a debut announcement within the next month. If price point is leaking out and we know that some top reviewers have been given near-production pairs to test, we know that Oppo is pretty close.
I remember the hill plasmatronic speakers from awhile back. They were the first plasma tweetered speaker I believe. They were large hybrid speakers looking something like a walnut encased refrigerator.
They relied on huge industrial helium gas tanks which you had to install from the rear. They had a huge tube amplifier as well.
A local dealer had them for audition and from what I remember from listening to them at the time which was back in the 70s I believe was that they disappeared like no other speaker at the time on the upper frequencies but the bass was too slow so there was a discontinuity between the upper frequencies and the bass.
But on a choral recording that I remembered hearing on them the sound was just heavenly. You could virtually see the faces on each singer of this large choral ensemble. It was just fantastic.
I have never heard any speaker that could approach them on choral music even to this very day. They truly were a special speaker. But not the most practical speaker in any sense I believed they weighed in at over 500 pounds a piece.
They also gave rise to ozone emissions so you had to have adequate ventilation in the room.
The upper frequencies on this speaker were amazing.
Edited by buson160man - 2/5/14 at 6:28pm
Historically, commercial plasma tweeters go back to at least the 50s, when Dukane sold their "Ionovac" (Ionophane in the UK) series of speakers. They still pop up occasionally on E-bay and sell in the ~$2000 range - way more than when new. Although they had fabulous highs, they were plagued by many of the same problems as the Hill and other more recent designs: poor integration with the slower, dynamic portions of the speaker, ozone production, and the catabolic decay of the electrodes. It's a great idea, just really difficult to implement well.
- Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Questyle QP1 17 seconds ago
- › AKG 280 Repair/Replace 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 3 minutes ago
- › It is odd but not peculiar... 4 minutes ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 4 minutes ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 5 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 6 minutes ago
- › iDAC2 launching with a bang! Competition with MEGA goodies. Gotta... 7 minutes ago
- › TCG Audio TRD3+ Desktop HeadAmp & 32/384DAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 in-ear headphones by FYLegend
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Nosbig
- › RHA T20 by nmatheis
- › Microsoft Lumia 435 UNLOCKED Windows Phone 8 WP8 2G GSM... by mark2410
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Pokemonn
- › CustomArt Ei.3 acrylic custom IEM by Cotnijoe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by ActiveTechREV
- › Westone W50 Five Driver Universal Fit Noise Isolating Earphones, 78505 by twister6
- › MrSpeakers Ether Planar Magnetic Headphones by Currawong
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)