Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! - Page 8

post #106 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazen View Post
 

I know Oppo from smartphones, not cd/blu-ray players lol.

Thought the N1 was overrated, especially with the tilting 13MP camera.

 

They have good phones though, just saying the N1 over hyped.

 

I hope this headphone is not all hype, as it looks really classy.  Certainly a breath of fresh air

+1

I'm surprised that not only does Oppo build premium smartphones to compete with the likes of Samsung, HTC, Sony, etc., but also has the fundamental knowledge to produce an Orthodynamic headphone that should (in theory) sound brilliant. Consider myself impressed. :basshead:

post #107 of 2000
It's a rather simple technology imo
post #108 of 2000

Which has been around since the 80's.

post #109 of 2000

Even East Germany in the '80s produced orthos.

post #110 of 2000

What was the source and amp driving these beautiful ear muffs?

Any idea as to the power output needed to drive them?

post #111 of 2000
Quote:
Quote:
 Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsoviet View Post
 

If this hits the $250-400 range then it will definitely be one on my short list.

 

Indeed. 

Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post
 

Yea Oppo, do eett and I buy :evil:

Yup im hoping around the $300 mark.  

 

Theres no reason a chinese manufacturer cant achieve this. Once they get orthos back into competing with the majority of dynamics (really they should even be able to get back into the $100 and below zone like it was in the 80s)  things will be great. Nowdays we have neodymium magnets and capability of high efficiency, which orthos couldnt have in the past. Fostex have been doing sub $100 orthos for the past decade being the only major ortho manufacturer around so no reason others cant get there with newer compact designs.

post #112 of 2000

I know that everyone seems to be loving the look of these, but after looking at it for awhile I'm not so sure that I love it. I'm not a huge fan of the squarish cups. 

 

Also if the housing around the cups is real metal, then it's fine. If that is feaux metal, aka plastic, then that would be a big issue with me. 

 

It also looks like the cable is non-detachable. Not sure though. I mean, they look pretty good just not gorgeous to me. As long as they sound great and are reasonably priced then I'm fine. 

 

:ph34r:

post #113 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabeer View Post
 

Yup im hoping around the $300 mark.  


Let's hope so!

post #114 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabeer View Post
 

Yup im hoping around the $300 mark.  

 

Theres no reason a chinese manufacturer cant achieve this. Once they get orthos back into competing with the majority of dynamics (really they should even be able to get back into the $100 and below zone like it was in the 80s)  things will be great. Nowdays we have neodymium magnets and capability of high efficiency, which orthos couldnt have in the past. Fostex have been doing sub $100 orthos for the past decade being the only major ortho manufacturer around so no reason others cant get there with newer compact designs.

Well the HE-6 which is 100% Chinese-born costs...over a grand lol.

 

It really just comes down to performance and what audience Oppo dares to showcase this headphone to. If they are aiming for mobility / portables audiophile market, these will be relatively inexpensive (for orthos); on the other hand, if they think these sound good enough to challenge heavy-hitters like Audeze cans or high Hifiman cans, then the mark-up will be raised.

post #115 of 2000
I think just based on it's looks and parts used, it looks like it's more than $300 on looks alone. I think it's unrealistic to expect anything under $500. I would love to be wrong, but FWIS of Oppo, and their stuff isn't exactly cheap.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 10/14/13 at 6:19am
post #116 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I think just based on it's looks and parts used, it looks like it's more than $300 on looks alone. I think it's unrealistic to expect anything under $500. I would love to be wrong, but I know Opps, and their stuff isn't exactly cheap.

 

Looked pretty much like a copy of that other headphone, whichever it was, a few pages back. In that case, I'd think $200.

 

The East German ortho cost about the modern equivalent of $160, if I got my conversions right. Like Kabeer said, Fostex already showed that a modern ortho could be sold for $80 and less. Slap on some audiophile extras to tune the sound and $200 is quite reasonable.

post #117 of 2000

Woah this looks very interesting

Curious to read what people think of how this would sound 

post #118 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

I know that everyone seems to be loving the look of these, but after looking at it for awhile I'm not so sure that I love it. I'm not a huge fan of the squarish cups. 

 

Also if the housing around the cups is real metal, then it's fine. If that is feaux metal, aka plastic, then that would be a big issue with me. 

 

It also looks like the cable is non-detachable. Not sure though. I mean, they look pretty good just not gorgeous to me. As long as they sound great and are reasonably priced then I'm fine. 

 

:ph34r:

Those cable entry points look quite serious to me - could be detachable.

Look at the 6th photo down - you can see the ear pads even make way for the entry. Going by the size they could even be dual mono 3.5mm plugs which would be interesting/different.

post #119 of 2000
popcorn.gif
post #120 of 2000

im gonna guess 300-600

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!