Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Gaming: HD 598, DT 990, Q 701 or others?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gaming: HD 598, DT 990, Q 701 or others?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

Hello, I'm new to this site and as far as I can tell it's the best out there for headphones. I've been researching my next buy for 2 weeks now and find myself only clicking head-fi links. This post and the headphones I'm buying are mainly for gaming. I currently have some Astro A40's and though they aren't too bad they are starting to develop physical damage from having them for a while so I am planning on getting some headphones. I have 3 main products I'm looking at (always open to more ideas) the Sennheiser HD 598, the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 ohm and the AKG Q 701's. Whichever one I decide on will be mainly used for gaming so positional cues such as being able to hear footsteps well (think Counter Strike) is a necessity, they will also be used for music (mostly rock, metal and classical) and movies and whatever else I listen to but positional cues are more important for me. I don't have a sound card but I do have an Astro 2011 mixamp which I assume I can use with any headset that has a 3.5mm cable? I don't mind how headphones look as long as it works well and is some what comfortable (although the AKG Q 701 is iffy). Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!


Edited by skepticist - 10/13/13 at 12:24pm
post #2 of 18

Sennheiser HD558 headphones, $130 (Amazon)

Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $26 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month (Amazon)

post #3 of 18

For gaming, nothing can beat the MDR MA900.

post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

For gaming, nothing can beat the MDR MA900.

I know these are your open FOTM, but isn't it possible that the other headphones in Mad Lust Envy's list of best gaming headphones are at least comparable, especially since he rates some of them higher than the MA900s? LOL

K701
Q701
K702 65th Anniversary Edition
MA-900
HD598
PC360
AD700
SR-407
ESP-950
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


I know these are your open FOTM, but isn't it possible that the other headphones in Mad Lust Envy's list of best gaming headphones are at least comparable

No lol:D! JK.  I'm just in love with these things, and when playing BF4,3 or MW3, it's reeeealy easy to hear sound whore.

 

I should have said something like "you should also consider the MDR MA900", and usually I would've, but I just wanted to be more persuasive.

post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

No lol:D ! JK.  I'm just in love with these things, and when playing BF4,3 or MW3, it's reeeealy easy to hear sound whore.

I should have said something like "you should also consider the MDR MA900", and usually I would've, but I just wanted to be more persuasive.

I got the impression that the OP is trying to make an informed decision, not decide based on who can shout the loudest that such and such is the best headphone ever.
post #7 of 18

Gee, I wonder where you got that impression:p.

 

The MA900 is not something the OP will be disappointed in, that's for sure.

post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

Gee, I wonder where you got that impression:p .

LOL

Yeah, you did use what I call "cheerleader camp rhetoric." At least you didn't follow it up with the "X is the best EVER" type post biggrin.gif
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 

I think I'm going to choose either the HD598 or the DT990, can someone use their amazing persuasion skills on me because I can't make a decision it seems.

Also, will not having a sound card be a problem if I get the DT990 pro 250 ohms?


Edited by skepticist - 10/13/13 at 10:22pm
post #10 of 18
If youll be listening to a lot of music, and you have an amp (e11}, get the dt990. If your not listening to music really get the 598.
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticist View Post
 

I think I'm going to choose either the HD598 or the DT990, can someone use their amazing persuasion skills on me because I can't make a decision it seems.

Also, will not having a sound card be a problem if I get the DT990 pro 250 ohms?


You would need a headphone amplifier to be able to effectively use the 250-Ohm DT990s.

So a headphone amplidier built into a sound card (Sound Blaster Z, $98) or an external headphone amplifier (with DAC chip?), FiiO E10 USB-DAC-Amp ($63-$75).


Edited by PurpleAngel - 10/14/13 at 6:40pm
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

If youll be listening to a lot of music, and you have an amp (e11}, get the dt990. If your not listening to music really get the 598.

Like I said in the first post they will be mainly used for gaming however I will be listening to a fair bit a music. Not as much as most people on this site I'm sure.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 


You would need a headphone amplifier to be able to effectively use the 250-Ohm DT990s.

So a headphone amplidier built into a sound card (Sound Blaster Z, $98) or an external headphone amplifier (with DAC chip?), FiiO E10 USB-DAC-Amp ($63-$75).

I do have an Astro mixamp from 2011 already and I will definitely not be buying a new one. I'm just wondering whether or not the mixamp will help with gaming.

post #13 of 18
Id say get the x1 or ma900, but if you must, I'd get the HD558.
post #14 of 18

I picked up the AKG Q701s primarily for gaming. I couldnt be happier. Sound quality is off the charts when matched with my Magni+SoundBlaster Z. I can locate people in CS:GO with pinpoint precision at the maximum "hear-able" footstep distance. Makes lining up headshots through the wall before you popup that much easier. Highly recommended.

post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by uziyourillusion View Post
 

I picked up the AKG Q701s primarily for gaming. I couldnt be happier. Sound quality is off the charts when matched with my Magni+SoundBlaster Z. I can locate people in CS:GO with pinpoint precision at the maximum "hear-able" footstep distance. Makes lining up headshots through the wall before you popup that much easier. Highly recommended.

Q701= crazy good for gaming, bad for music (veeery cold and distant).

 

I forgot, you should consider the AKG K702 anniversary.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Gaming: HD 598, DT 990, Q 701 or others?