or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › in-ear headphones for rock -- $100
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

in-ear headphones for rock -- $100

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

Hi all,

 

I'm on the search for some in-ear headphones, mostly for rock music (Metallica / ACDC). Here are my criteria:

 

1. Best price on Amazon/eBay < $100

 

2a. I don't think I need them to be ultra balanced / accurate. So, a colored EQ is fine.

 

2b. Because I listen to rock, I would prefer the bassline to be punch-y and the guitar solos to scream at me. (I was underwhelmed by the Klipsch S4)

 

3. I would love an in-line remote/mic for my iPhone, but if the sound quality is what I want then I'd consider non-smart earphones.

 

And suggestions?

 

Thanks!!!

 

Rob

post #2 of 22

You was underwhelmed by the Klipsch s4?  Hmm I liked it for Rock but umm try the Shure se215?

post #3 of 22

The HisoundAudio E212 has very good bass. They just released their new IEM's - the BA100 for US$99. If you can review them, they are giving a 50% discount. This is the thread:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684748/hisoundaudio-s-ba-100-challenge-the-multi-drivers-earpphones

 

Or for a full review and comparission for 299 IEM's you can try this thread:

 

www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-299-iems-compared-nuforce-ne-700x-2013-version-added-10-11-13-p-784/540

post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamorin View Post
 

The HisoundAudio E212 has very good bass. They just released their new IEM's - the BA100 for US$99. If you can review them, they are giving a 50% discount. This is the thread:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684748/hisoundaudio-s-ba-100-challenge-the-multi-drivers-earpphones

 

Or for a full review and comparission for 299 IEM's you can try this thread:

 

www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-299-iems-compared-nuforce-ne-700x-2013-version-added-10-11-13-p-784/540

 

 

Still wouldn't a Dynamic driver trump a BA for a bassy IEM?

post #5 of 22

According to the BA100 reviews, it is even better than my $150 T-Peos H-100 hybrids which has both dynamic and BA drivers. The bass has no issues according to the reviews. I'm actually planning to get them.

post #6 of 22

Might give them a try ... or test my luck on Ebay and getting the Sony XBA-3 for only $100 bucks. I found a legit pair of XBA-2 on ebay for 65 but didn't like them so maybe I would like the 3 better with the Tweeter to go along with the woofer and Full range.

post #7 of 22

There is a guy who's selling XBA-4 for US$100 on ebay.com.my. Not sure if he still has it.

post #8 of 22

I believe the T-Peos H-100 is rated higher than the XBA-3 and the BA-100 is rated even higher. So maybe that is something you should consider.

post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamorin View Post
 

There is a guy who's selling XBA-4 for US$100 on ebay.com.my. Not sure if he still has it.

 

 

Eh most people say the Sony XBA-3 is the best out of the bunch from what I watched on youtube and here

post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamorin View Post
 

I believe the T-Peos H-100 is rated higher than the XBA-3 and the BA-100 is rated even higher. So maybe that is something you should consider.

 

 

 

The BA-100 is a 1 balanced armature ( with a Tweeter? or full range perhaps?) while the T-peos H-100 ( Cant be found on amazon.com directly by them...) is a Single BA with a dynamic driver ( The Dynamic driver is probably for Bass while the BA is probably a Full range BA?)  which would mean the Sony XBA-3 is probably the best out of the bunch if your not going for really deep thumping bass ( I would suggest dynamic drivers for That) since the XBA-3 uses a Full Range, A sub woofer and a tweeter.

 

The XBA-4 used a Full Range, Sub woofer , Tweeter , and a extra Woofer which is probably the best out of the 4 but the 3 has the best value for the buck

post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
 

 

 

Eh most people say the Sony XBA-3 is the best out of the bunch from what I watched on youtube and here

I think that they were comparing the same price range but if you can get the xba-4 for the price of xba-3, I would get it. I wouldn't say that having more drivers improves the SQ :o 


Edited by zamorin - 10/14/13 at 8:30am
post #12 of 22

Did you mean, compared to the H-100 or BA100? Here's a good thread:

 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AkVOjqY8dVYWdDl4bzE4SkxpWENPSmdoc3lGMlo1MWc&single=true&gid=0&output=html

 

The H-100, I'm not sure what range was dedicated to the BA and Dynamic but I really don't like that V shaped signature..I've grown in to it now but the treble is still harsh especially if you don't get a good fit (most of the time I don't). To correct the anomaly, they have the 3 driver H-200. I haven't tried those but from the ClieOS comparison thread linked above, they are rated far higher.


Edited by zamorin - 10/14/13 at 8:42am
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamorin View Post
 

Did you mean, compared to the H-100 or BA100? Here's a good thread:

 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AkVOjqY8dVYWdDl4bzE4SkxpWENPSmdoc3lGMlo1MWc&single=true&gid=0&output=html

 

The H-100, I'm not sure what range was dedicated to the BA and Dynamic but I really don't like that V shaped signature..I've grown in to it now but the treble is still harsh especially if you don't get a good fit (most of the time I don't). To correct the anomaly, they have the 3 driver H-200. I haven't tried those but from the ClieOS comparison thread linked above, they are rated far higher.

 

 

 

The H-100 and BA100 probably have a Full Range I would imagine. ( I also don't like Singe BA earphones and would just suggest a high end Dynamic earphone which would be better).  The Sony XBA-3 or any 3 BA earphones should trump the H-100 or BA100 in almost anything because it has 3 balanced armatures. The Sony XBA-3 at $100 is quite a steal and the seller I seen has 9 of them currently and there is No risk buying from ebay because if he does sell you a fake you can tell him and he will refund your money or you can report it against the Ebay buyer protection which covers buying fakes since it is against EBay's TOS to sell fake items.

 

 

 

I think the Shure Se215 which is a dynamic driver is much better then the Shure SE315 because the 315 only have 1 balanced armature

post #14 of 22

It matters if a single BA/dynamic driver delivers better SQ than a 2,3,4 BA drivers. The cost goes up with more drivers without the SQ level proportionately going up, right?


Edited by zamorin - 10/14/13 at 9:19am
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamorin View Post
 

It matters if a single BA/dynamic driver delivers better SQ than a 2,3,4 driver BA drivers. The cost goes up with more drivers without the SQ level proportionately going up, right?

 

 

amazon is listing the Single BA with the dynamic drive Hybrid you suggest at $150 +5 dollars for shipping (3rd party seller....) and I would suggest the Shure SE215 since it has a better value and probably way better SQ for the price  ( I haven't tried or heard of the one your suggested so cant comment nor any reviews on amazon ). I loved the Shure SE215 at the price of $99.00 because the SQ is pretty great but I returned it because I didn't personally liked the thick cable

 

 

 

If you are going for a balanced armature I would only suggest one with at the very least 2 BA's inside the earphone with one of the preferably a Sub woofer


Edited by Closingracer - 10/14/13 at 9:19am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › in-ear headphones for rock -- $100