or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Needs help moving from closed back to open back headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Needs help moving from closed back to open back headphones

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 

Hi all,

 

I used to own a pair of Beats by Dre urBeats and at that time, it was fun to listen to. To be honest, I thought the sound was pretty good.  But then, i joined head-fi and was seeing all kinds of headphones, but surprisingly practically no one ever used Beats By Dre here. I thought that was weird so I decided to check out some of the headphones that i could get for less than $200. The first one to strike me was the Audio Technica ATH-M50, because it was getting so much attention and so much good reviews. And i decided to buy one and try it out.

 

When i got it, WOW, the sound was so good compared to some horrible Beats that i owned. I've never heard such an amazing sound from a headphone. I've got it paired with a FiiO E07k and the sound is just mind-blowing IMO. But then, i read a couple more reviews stating that the sound wasn't airy or imaging wasn't good. From my point of view, i thought, what was i missing from these astounding pair of phones? So my research continued and came across open-back headphones, which gave more soundstage (which i have never experienced before). I wonder what those headphones sound like.

 

So bottom line, i need some help choosing an open-back headphone for under $300. Read a couple of reviews about the Philips Fidelio X1 having a ton of bass and crisp mids & highs. But, suggestions about any other headphones is open. I listen to any genres out there.

 

Thanks.

post #2 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshin29 View Post
 

Hi all,

 

I used to own a pair of Beats by Dre urBeats and at that time, it was fun to listen to. To be honest, I thought the sound was pretty good.  But then, i joined head-fi and was seeing all kinds of headphones, but surprisingly practically no one ever used Beats By Dre here. I thought that was weird so I decided to check out some of the headphones that i could get for less than $200. The first one to strike me was the Audio Technica ATH-M50, because it was getting so much attention and so much good reviews. And i decided to buy one and try it out.

 

When i got it, WOW, the sound was so good compared to some horrible Beats that i owned. I've never heard such an amazing sound from a headphone. I've got it paired with a FiiO E07k and the sound is just mind-blowing IMO. But then, i read a couple more reviews stating that the sound wasn't airy or imaging wasn't good. From my point of view, i thought, what was i missing from these astounding pair of phones? So my research continued and came across open-back headphones, which gave more soundstage (which i have never experienced before). I wonder what those headphones sound like.

 

So bottom line, i need some help choosing an open-back headphone for under $300. Read a couple of reviews about the Philips Fidelio X1 having a ton of bass and crisp mids & highs. But, suggestions about any other headphones is open. I listen to any genres out there.

 

Thanks.

Go with the Beyer DYanmic Dt 990 PRo 250ohm. The e07k should have enough power to drive them, and the DT 990 Pro 250 is $150 new on Amazon! So it's a STEAL at that price. And yes it does sound better, as in wider and more airy than the ATH M50, as far as getting a sense of 3D imaging, you could try the He 400, I feel the HE 400 is an upgrade to the Dt 990, but the Dt 990 is comfier and more fun, and the HE 400 used it twice as much as the Dt 990 New [so there is that[

 

Still, the Dt 990 where for me a great intro into Open cans :3 

post #3 of 40
Thread Starter 

Thanks Mshenay, i will definitely look into these 2 cans :)

post #4 of 40
Thread Starter 

Quick question: what's the difference between the 250ohm and the 250ohm pro versions of the Beyerdynamic dt990? On amazon, the pro version is considerably cheaper than the former one (kinda weird)..

post #5 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshin29 View Post
 

Quick question: what's the difference between the 250ohm and the 250ohm pro versions of the Beyerdynamic dt990? On amazon, the pro version is considerably cheaper than the former one (kinda weird)..

Basically. it's function and looks, the 250 pro has dark black grills, more clamp [which makes it a tad bassier, and the mids slighty taken back, AND a coiled cable]

 

Honestly I find the Pro is a wonderful bargin! I do love coiled cables

post #6 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

Basically. it's function and looks, the 250 pro has dark black grills, more clamp [which makes it a tad bassier, and the mids slighty taken back, AND a coiled cable]

 

Honestly I find the Pro is a wonderful bargin! I do love coiled cables

Hey man, i took your advice and got the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. So far, i'm satisfied with the sound. I've got it paired with my FiiO E07K, but the question is, do they require burn in?

post #7 of 40
Whether or not headphones benefit from burn-in is debateable (I think that they do). But even if they do, you just listen to your music as you normally would and they will eventually break-in. smily_headphones1.gif
post #8 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Whether or not headphones benefit from burn-in is debateable (I think that they do). But even if they do, you just listen to your music as you normally would and they will eventually break-in. smily_headphones1.gif

Ok thanks.

post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshin29 View Post
 

Hey man, i took your advice and got the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. So far, i'm satisfied with the sound. I've got it paired with my FiiO E07K, but the question is, do they require burn in?

 

I think they do but again... honestly if you like them as they are, they will ONLY get better for you! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshin29 View Post
 

Ok thanks.

and yea the burn in debate is... moot honestly. Point is you like them and you will countinue to like them as you get better gear to drive them with :3 

post #10 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

 

I think they do but again... honestly if you like them as they are, they will ONLY get better for you! 

and yea the burn in debate is... moot honestly. Point is you like them and you will countinue to like them as you get better gear to drive them with :3 

I'm currently in the search for the Maverick TubeMagic D1 Plus. From what i've heard, it does magic with the DT990s. :D

post #11 of 40
If you don't have external speakers, and thus no need for the external line out capabilities, then the Schiit Modi/Magni stack is likely as good or better than the TubeMagic D1 Plus. A lot of people get excited about the TubeMagic when they hear "tube," but the tube sound is only part of the pre-amp for hooking up the external RCAs; the built in headphone amp does not get the tube sound.
post #12 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

If you don't have external speakers, and thus no need for the external line out capabilities, then the Schiit Modi/Magni stack is likely as good or better than the TubeMagic D1 Plus. A lot of people get excited about the TubeMagic when they hear "tube," but the tube sound is only part of the pre-amp for hooking up the external RCAs; the built in headphone amp does not get the tube sound.

I do have external speakers.. WOW the Modi/Magni combo does sound good for my current situation ($99 + $99). That's a good suggestion you pointed out. I will definitely look into it..However, i've read that tube amps really brings out the DT990. Have you got any other one in minds? If there are no tube amps < $300, i will go with the Schiit. :)

post #13 of 40
Unfortunately, the tube pre-amp in the Maverick D1/D1 Plus is not part of the headphone amp.

I do have the Maverick D1 in a computer setup in my house. Very nice for being able to hook up speakers, too. For the price, the D1 Plus is one of the best for that capability. Might look at the Aune T1 for around the same price range which does have tube amp for the headphones. Or you could spend more and jump up to one of the Audio-GD dac/amp combos or get the Schiit Asgard 2 and combine it with the Modi. I have the Asgard 2, and I do like how it preforms as a pre-amp for speakers a little better than the Maverick D1, even though the Asgard 2 does not have a tube pre-amp.
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Unfortunately, the tube pre-amp in the Maverick D1/D1 Plus is not part of the headphone amp.

I do have the Maverick D1 in a computer setup in my house. Very nice for being able to hook up speakers, too. For the price, the D1 Plus is one of the best for that capability. Might look at the Aune T1 for around the same price range which does have tube amp for the headphones. Or you could spend more and jump up to one of the Audio-GD dac/amp combos or get the Schiit Asgard 2 and combine it with the Modi. I have the Asgard 2, and I do like how it preforms as a pre-amp for speakers a little better than the Maverick D1, even though the Asgard 2 does not have a tube pre-amp.

Acually... Try the Schiit Vali! Not sure how warm the mids are but at $120... it could pair awesomely with the DT 990 AND if you hate it you could easily sell it super fast here on head fi [and most likely for 90% of what it cost u] 

post #15 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Unfortunately, the tube pre-amp in the Maverick D1/D1 Plus is not part of the headphone amp.

I do have the Maverick D1 in a computer setup in my house. Very nice for being able to hook up speakers, too. For the price, the D1 Plus is one of the best for that capability. Might look at the Aune T1 for around the same price range which does have tube amp for the headphones. Or you could spend more and jump up to one of the Audio-GD dac/amp combos or get the Schiit Asgard 2 and combine it with the Modi. I have the Asgard 2, and I do like how it preforms as a pre-amp for speakers a little better than the Maverick D1, even though the Asgard 2 does not have a tube pre-amp.

Great, now i'm overwhelmed with amps lol XD

Well, the Aune T1 looks kinda cool, and for that price ($189 on Amazon), it does come to my attention. Will check some reviews on it and make up my mind after that. 

 

Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Needs help moving from closed back to open back headphones