Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 (The Classic) vs. K612 Pro (The Upstart) – Review and Comparison
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K702 (The Classic) vs. K612 Pro (The Upstart) – Review and Comparison - Page 4

post #46 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus49371 View Post
 

hi, I was just wondering that would the K612 need a powerful amp to drive them or does a FiiO E10 drive them up to a fairly decent level? thank you XD!


The FiiO E10 should have no problem driving 120-Ohm (K612 Pro) headphones.

post #47 of 121
I used to own a pair of K601 and can confirm that an E10 could drive them with no trouble at all.

They sounded the same out of my E10 as they did out of my Matrix M Stage.
post #48 of 121

As something to note. I just noticed the K702 in the review seems to be the newer one with 8 bumps on the headband rather than the older 7 bump one, which means it probably sounds the same as the Q701. When I heard the Q701 and a newer K702, they sounded exactly the same. When I heard an older K702, it was noticeably different, being colder and brighter.

post #49 of 121

Nice review!  I picked it in particular for your mention of the headbands.

I loved my first pair of K701s, at least after 100+ hours of break in, but found the "7 bump" head band a real pain with my decidedly larger head and short hair.  I just couldn't wear them for more than an hour or so without discomfort!  I even tucked a cotton bat underneath the bumps once for an extended listening period.  One of the best sounding headphones I've ever heard but... one I couldn't ultimately live with.  Sold them and have been roughing it with a pair of M50's for quite awhile now.  

Still the AKG sound remains engraved in my brain.  Try the 612s or perhaps the 702 with the 8 bumps instead?  Or splurge for the 712s?  Hmmm...


Edited by Oktyabr - 10/26/13 at 1:54pm
post #50 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktyabr View Post
 

Nice review!  I picked it in particular for your mention of the headbands.

I loved my first pair of K701s, at least after 100+ hours of break in, but found the "7 bump" head band a real pain with my decidedly larger head and short hair.  I just couldn't wear them for more than an hour or so without discomfort!  I even tucked a cotton bat underneath the bumps once for an extended listening period.  One of the best sounding headphones I've ever heard but... one I couldn't ultimately live with.  Sold them and have been roughing it with a pair of M50's for quite awhile now.  

Still the AKG sound remains engraved in my brain.  Try the 612s or perhaps the 702 with the 8 bumps instead?  Or splurge for the 712s?  Hmmm...

 

Well the K612 is warmer and more natural sounding than the K702. The K702 has more detail and a wider soundstage. I am in agreement with the reviewer in that the K612 is the better pick of the two due to a more natural sound signature. I haven't heard the K712, so I'm not sure if it's better than the K612 or simply a different sound signature. With the K612 you wouldn't have to worry about potential problems with the headband.

post #51 of 121

Is anyone in a position to compare the K612 with a K400?  I'd like to know which of the two is warmer sounding or revealing of detail.

post #52 of 121

Hi guys, first of all nice review, thnx for that. Really like that you spoke of all little details! I have experience with AKG other than the one my dad owns and it sounds great. 

 

I am searching for gaming headphones right now, which might sometimes be used to listed music in the late hours. Do you guys think the k612 is as effective as the k701 for gaming and directional ques? I read that they do pretty good for gaming, but if gaming is your number one focus to buy a set, is this one a good choice?

 

I actually like what you guys are saying about more bass and more natural, I like that in my music. I am afraid though that the less clinical, more bass and slightly smaller sound stage will result in a decrease of precision in gaming. I would love to hear your thoughts about that guys. 

 

I think (hope) the 120 ohm is not going to be a problem for a marantz receiver? Also, the cable is strait right? Not coiled?

 

Thanks in advance! and keep up the good work

post #53 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qupie View Post
 

Hi guys, first of all nice review, thnx for that. Really like that you spoke of all little details! I have experience with AKG other than the one my dad owns and it sounds great. 

 

I am searching for gaming headphones right now, which might sometimes be used to listed music in the late hours. Do you guys think the k612 is as effective as the k701 for gaming and directional ques? I read that they do pretty good for gaming, but if gaming is your number one focus to buy a set, is this one a good choice?

 

I actually like what you guys are saying about more bass and more natural, I like that in my music. I am afraid though that the less clinical, more bass and slightly smaller sound stage will result in a decrease of precision in gaming. I would love to hear your thoughts about that guys. 

 

I think (hope) the 120 ohm is not going to be a problem for a marantz receiver? Also, the cable is strait right? Not coiled?

 

Thanks in advance! and keep up the good work

I would think at 120-Ohms the K612 Pro would work well with receivers.

post #54 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

I would think at 120-Ohms the K612 Pro would work well with receivers.

 

My K612a work just great with my Denon receiver. 

post #55 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post
 

 

Well the K612 is warmer and more natural sounding than the K702. The K702 has more detail and a wider soundstage. I am in agreement with the reviewer in that the K612 is the better pick of the two due to a more natural sound signature. I haven't heard the K712, so I'm not sure if it's better than the K612 or simply a different sound signature. With the K612 you wouldn't have to worry about potential problems with the headband.

 

 

Did you try to switch the pads between them?


Edited by Acix - 12/25/13 at 5:38pm
post #56 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgard Varese View Post
 

 

My K612a work just great with my Denon receiver. 


Which model?

I have a 1912 that i'd be using when I buy the K612. Glad to hear they sound good with it.

post #57 of 121

Ugh, now I have no idea which one to get as my first AKG "phone...

post #58 of 121
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post
 

Ugh, now I have no idea which one to get as my first AKG "phone...

 

Think this one sums it up ......

 

Quote:
Bottom line – both headphones are very good – and preference will depend on individual tastes.  If you like a slightly more expansive stage – with a crisper detail oriented signature – the K702 will be better for you.  If you like a more natural overall presentation, with a touch more warmth – then the K612 is really very good.

.

My preference was the K612 Pro - but you can't really go wrong with either.

post #59 of 121
I own both: K702 and K612. The 612 is more forgiving of source material, less resolving, and slightly veiled in the mids. The 702 is a different planet in terms of resolution and requires a good amount of breakin. Personally, I hardly ever use my 612. Thinking of selling....
post #60 of 121
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer View Post

I own both: K702 and K612. The 612 is more forgiving of source material, less resolving, and slightly veiled in the mids. The 702 is a different planet in terms of resolution and requires a good amount of breakin. Personally, I hardly ever use my 612. Thinking of selling....

 

..... like I said ..... preference (although I personally wouldn't call the K612 veiled in the mids in the slightest)

 

K702 definitely has a little more resolution - but it's not on a different planet (at least to my ears).

 

As far as 'break-in' goes, I'll leave that to the individual.  Tyll's tests on the Q701 didn't indicate night and day changes - and I'd never noticed major changes with my K701, K702 or Q701.

 

YMMV ;) 

 

I see we have similar headphone tastes.  How are the K550 - worth trying?


Edited by Brooko - 1/2/14 at 6:28pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 (The Classic) vs. K612 Pro (The Upstart) – Review and Comparison