New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K812 Pro - Page 239

post #3571 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

Let's hope for a 65mm ring radiator from Sennheiser. Haha.


Planar / electro hybrid that looks even uglier than the HD800, and loses soundstage,

coupled with even further recessed/hollow mids, and a very V-shaped FR.

#fail

post #3572 of 3584
These things make Led Zeppelin remasters sound surprisingly good on full blast, unamped out of an iPhone 6 plus !!
post #3573 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1964 View Post
 

Like jk47 had said, I feel the soundstage for the HD700 is not as wide as the K812, which in turn, isn't as wide as the HD800. To me, the HD700 cannot be described as bright or edgy, rather, I've always its treble energy to be higher than, say, a HE400i but was never bright to me. wanna talk about bright? I have a pair of Grado GS1000i and an Audio Technica ATH-AD2000, these have even higher high frequency and are pretty bright even to me, and I have a pretty high tolerance for HF. The K812 has higher treble energy, and a pretty good bass thump (nowhere close to basshead level), more of a controlled and tight bass, but it certainly has greater presence than the HD800. I dunno, I tend to think of the K812 as a HD800 with narrower soundstage but better bass. Please take this as coming from someone who's a tad past his prime, and whose hearing is.....not optimal.

What kind of cable did he use?

post #3574 of 3584

I sold my AKG K712s a little over a month ago due to discomfort caused by the saggy headband combined with the firmness/weight of the memory foam earpads.  Loved their improvement in sound over the K701 that I had for years but the discomfort was just too much.

 

I've been on a search for their replacement ever since, first a pair of Sennheiser HD650s, then a pair of their HD700s, even tried a pair of AKG K7xx from MassDrop hoping my K712s might have been an anomaly.  Demoed a pair of Oppo PM-1 with original leather pads but they were far too colored for my liking. 

 

The Sennheisers were both nice sounding headphones in different ways and both very comfortable.  They color the sound a bit too much for my taste though so they've had to go.  The K7xx brought me back to that sound I love but alas after about an album of listening the pain below my earlobe was there.  

 

Thought about trying entry-level Stax SR-207s but read about the quality-control issues.  Have one of the loaner pairs of Oppo PM-2s on the way and plan on comparing them to the Audeze EL-8 when they arrive in a couple of weeks at my dealer.  As of today they'll both be judged against a pair of K812s.

 

I'm hoping that the K812s improvement of that AKG house sound makes them an end-game can for me.  I never thought I'd spend even half this much on headphones but having a toddler in the house makes headphones the ideal playback option these days.  Will report back on my thoughts over the next few weeks.

 

Bill

post #3575 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgb113 View Post
 

I sold my AKG K712s a little over a month ago due to discomfort caused by the saggy headband combined with the firmness/weight of the memory foam earpads.  Loved their improvement in sound over the K701 that I had for years but the discomfort was just too much.

 

I've been on a search for their replacement ever since, first a pair of Sennheiser HD650s, then a pair of their HD700s, even tried a pair of AKG K7xx from MassDrop hoping my K712s might have been an anomaly.  Demoed a pair of Oppo PM-1 with original leather pads but they were far too colored for my liking. 

 

The Sennheisers were both nice sounding headphones in different ways and both very comfortable.  They color the sound a bit too much for my taste though so they've had to go.  The K7xx brought me back to that sound I love but alas after about an album of listening the pain below my earlobe was there.  

 

Thought about trying entry-level Stax SR-207s but read about the quality-control issues.  Have one of the loaner pairs of Oppo PM-2s on the way and plan on comparing them to the Audeze EL-8 when they arrive in a couple of weeks at my dealer.  As of today they'll both be judged against a pair of K812s.

 

I'm hoping that the K812s improvement of that AKG house sound makes them an end-game can for me.  I never thought I'd spend even half this much on headphones but having a toddler in the house makes headphones the ideal playback option these days.  Will report back on my thoughts over the next few weeks.

 

Bill


I think you will be very pleased with the 812's    

post #3576 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgb113 View Post
 

I sold my AKG K712s a little over a month ago due to discomfort caused by the saggy headband combined with the firmness/weight of the memory foam earpads.  Loved their improvement in sound over the K701 that I had for years but the discomfort was just too much.

 

I've been on a search for their replacement ever since, first a pair of Sennheiser HD650s, then a pair of their HD700s, even tried a pair of AKG K7xx from MassDrop hoping my K712s might have been an anomaly.  Demoed a pair of Oppo PM-1 with original leather pads but they were far too colored for my liking. 

 

The Sennheisers were both nice sounding headphones in different ways and both very comfortable.  They color the sound a bit too much for my taste though so they've had to go.  The K7xx brought me back to that sound I love but alas after about an album of listening the pain below my earlobe was there.  

 

Thought about trying entry-level Stax SR-207s but read about the quality-control issues.  Have one of the loaner pairs of Oppo PM-2s on the way and plan on comparing them to the Audeze EL-8 when they arrive in a couple of weeks at my dealer.  As of today they'll both be judged against a pair of K812s.

 

I'm hoping that the K812s improvement of that AKG house sound makes them an end-game can for me.  I never thought I'd spend even half this much on headphones but having a toddler in the house makes headphones the ideal playback option these days.  Will report back on my thoughts over the next few weeks.

 

Bill

 

If you're looking for comfort, i think the K812 will please you very much. For someone who wears glasses like me, its hard to get a headphone to be comfortable even after hours of use. The K812 is definitely one of the most comfortable TOTL flagship headphone you'll come across!

 

As for sound... well you'll find out for youself in time whether theyre for you or not :L3000:

post #3577 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotnijoe View Post
 

 

If you're looking for comfort, i think the K812 will please you very much. For someone who wears glasses like me, its hard to get a headphone to be comfortable even after hours of use. The K812 is definitely one of the most comfortable TOTL flagship headphone you'll come across!

 

As for sound... well you'll find out for youself in time whether theyre for you or not :L3000:

Yep, I have more than a dozen cans, and the K812 is among the most comfortable, especially so from one who's bespectacled. When I put on my K812, I make a slight adjustment with my glasses, then I can basically forget about my glasses. Not so with a good number of other cans I have, I find myself having to adjust my glasses when I put on my MrSpeakers Alpha Dog and Audeze LCD2 and even the ATH-AD700X.

 

As for sound, agree with above, everyone's got their personal preference for sound, so it's up to you. I'm chilling and listening to my K812 as I type this post.....:D

post #3578 of 3584

Looking forward to them, they arrive later today.  Is anyone mating them with the Oppo HA-1?  I always like the K701 and K712 out of solid state amps like Benchmark's DAC1 and DAC2 along with the Schiit Asgard 2 along with the Oppo.

 

Bill

post #3579 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgb113 View Post
 

Looking forward to them, they arrive later today.  Is anyone mating them with the Oppo HA-1?  I always like the K701 and K712 out of solid state amps like Benchmark's DAC1 and DAC2 along with the Schiit Asgard 2 along with the Oppo.

 

Bill

So, have you received your K812 yet? I would think it'd sound great with the HA-1, wish I'd pony up for a good DAC but I'm more about headphones. I actually have no problem with HF when running my K812 with my Geek Pulse Standard, but I'm something of a treble head.....with a little basshead thrown in there somewhere. The only cans that I find to be  rather bright are my GS1000i, ATH-AD2k and, surprisingly, the D2000.......I said 'surprisingly' because I'd never thought closed cans can be bright.

post #3580 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1964 View Post
 

Yep, I have more than a dozen cans, and the K812 is among the most comfortable, especially so from one who's bespectacled. When I put on my K812, I make a slight adjustment with my glasses, then I can basically forget about my glasses. Not so with a good number of other cans I have, I find myself having to adjust my glasses when I put on my MrSpeakers Alpha Dog and Audeze LCD2 and even the ATH-AD700X.

 

As for sound, agree with above, everyone's got their personal preference for sound, so it's up to you. I'm chilling and listening to my K812 as I type this post.....:D


How would you rank HD700, HD800, LCD-2, AD2000x, K812, D2000???

post #3581 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaivpc1 View Post
 


How would you rank HD700, HD800, LCD-2, AD2000x, K812, D2000???

I did rank them here, but please note that this is based on my present DAC's and amps, and my eclectic sense of what sounds good......and my shoddy hearing.:o 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/109756/rank-the-headphones-that-you-own/4920#post_11491361

 

This ranking may soon change as I should be getting a couple of closed back cans since I'm rather light when it comes to closed back cans in my collection. With some luck, I should be getting a Shure 1540 and a Denon AH-D7k......and if my budget allows for it, a Markl modded AH-D5k as well.

post #3582 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1964 View Post
 

So, have you received your K812 yet? I would think it'd sound great with the HA-1, wish I'd pony up for a good DAC but I'm more about headphones. I actually have no problem with HF when running my K812 with my Geek Pulse Standard, but I'm something of a treble head.....with a little basshead thrown in there somewhere. The only cans that I find to be  rather bright are my GS1000i, ATH-AD2k and, surprisingly, the D2000.......I said 'surprisingly' because I'd never thought closed cans can be bright.

I did, but I haven't had a ton of time with them - we had our first really nice spring weekend here and had to get stuff done outside.

 

Very initial impressions:

 

Sound Quality - excellent, the best I have ever heard - but I haven't heard any other current flagships.  Right from the first listen I was hearing things in a way I never had.  No tizziness that's not the fault of the recording.

Build Quality - very good, the headband adjustment is rather tight, making small adjustments tedious but the headphones feel good in the hand.  I noticed mine are Made In Slovakia.  I wonder how those thin, flatwire pieces will hold up over time.  The cable is fine, just rather cheap looking at the 1/8" 1/4" end.

Comfort - very good, the most comfortable I've ever worn (refer to experience under Sound Quality).  When I got them adjusted so that the pressure was evenly distributed between the headband and earcups though they tend to slide down towards the front of my head when I move my head around or look down.

 

All of that said, I'm having a really, REALLY hard time justifying spending this much on headphones.  They cost the same amount as my speakers which are my preferred transducer of choice.  I use cans a lot currently because my little guy is so young but that's temporary.  Once he's going to bed later and dad can listen to speakers that's what I'll be doing 95% of the time.  The question I therefore have for myself is, will they have been a waste at that point?  Am I better off sucking it up for the next few years and dealing with a pair of K612s or K701s?

 

I plan on giving myself at least a few weeks with them before making any rash decisions.  The loaner Oppos will be here by then, I'll have logged more hours with the AKGs and both will make the trip down to my Audeze dealer for a 3-way standoff.

 

In the end I'll bet I stick with AKGs.  Whether or not I convince myself the K812s are worth it by that point is the question.

 

Bill

post #3583 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1964 View Post
 

I did rank them here, but please note that this is based on my present DAC's and amps, and my eclectic sense of what sounds good......and my shoddy hearing.:o 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/109756/rank-the-headphones-that-you-own/4920#post_11491361

 

This ranking may soon change as I should be getting a couple of closed back cans since I'm rather light when it comes to closed back cans in my collection. With some luck, I should be getting a Shure 1540 and a Denon AH-D7k......and if my budget allows for it, a Markl modded AH-D5k as well.

 

Your collecting habits sound like mine :D

 

I just thinned down my collection but after just getting a K812 and HE6 recently I'm still eying the McIntosh as I want to raise the closed can stakes. The Dharma and Ether are calling out for an audition. This hobby is evil :evil:

post #3584 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyZK View Post
 

 

Your collecting habits sound like mine :D

 

I just thinned down my collection but after just getting a K812 and HE6 recently I'm still eying the McIntosh as I want to raise the closed can stakes. The Dharma and Ether are calling out for an audition. This hobby is evil :evil:

Yep, it truly is, and I'm finding out the hard way.:wink_face: A D5k with Markl mod happened to be available recently, now I'm of two minds, whether to get the D7k or the Markl mod D5k.....or both, as well as the Shure 1540!:blink: 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum