New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K812 Pro - Page 19

post #271 of 3072
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

I say the hobby needs more negative reviews from popular opinions.

I wholeheartedly agree.  What's not so good considering the hefty price, must be called out for the benefit of our wallets! So, Tyll, please, we want a formal review!

post #272 of 3072
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

I say the hobby needs more negative reviews from popular opinions.

I wholeheartedly agree.  What's not so good considering the hefty price, must be called out for the benefit of our wallets! So, Tyll, please, we want a formal review!

I believe Tyll did not review T1 for the very same reason. That doesn't make them lesser phones for people who like them. 

post #273 of 3072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

I believe Tyll did not review T1 for the very same reason. That doesn't make them lesser phones for people who like them.

Actually, if it is a brighter-than-Average headphone, maybe he should not review it, since he is likely to pan them.

post #274 of 3072

Don't think K812 is bright sounding when I heard it at the demo.

post #275 of 3072

Correct !

Tyll is not the only person on the planet which is supposed to be a headphone specialist ;) and everybody knows his preferences -> warm sounded headphones. That's why for me the comparisons are not really objective.

 

At the end nothing is better than making your own experience with the stuff.


Edited by TheDuke990 - 12/16/13 at 12:26pm
post #276 of 3072
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenMoonsNorth View Post
 


You don't need expensive equipment for any of them actually. At this time they are more expensive than the HD800s and yet they are not better. If the HD800s are overpriced then the K812s are even more so. I'm not going to say they are "bad" in terms of sound but that the HD800s do better what many wanted the K812s to do.

 

Try the HD800 or T1 on the Meridian Explorer DAC/amp or on your iPhone and let me know if those headphones sound as good as they should.  I'm all ears.

Reply
post #277 of 3072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra97oR View Post
 

If anything I am unhappy about the K812, it has to be the poor cable, plug and the generic stand but not the sound itself. It is smoother sounding than the HD800 or the T1 but no where near the warmth of something like a TH900 or LCDs. K812 doesn't need to be loud to keep it interesting either.

 

"generic stand"?  You do know that it comes with a genuine Omega stand made in Germany right?  Not the Chinese version.

Reply
post #278 of 3072
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenMoonsNorth View Post
 


You don't need expensive equipment for any of them actually. At this time they are more expensive than the HD800s and yet they are not better. If the HD800s are overpriced then the K812s are even more so. I'm not going to say they are "bad" in terms of sound but that the HD800s do better what many wanted the K812s to do.

 

Do you ever listen to the AKG 812 or how do you come to this conclusion ?

post #279 of 3072
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra97oR View Post
 

If anything I am unhappy about the K812, it has to be the poor cable, plug and the generic stand but not the sound itself. It is smoother sounding than the HD800 or the T1 but no where near the warmth of something like a TH900 or LCDs. K812 doesn't need to be loud to keep it interesting either.

 

"generic stand"?  You do know that it comes with a genuine Omega stand made in Germany right?  Not the Chinese version.


It is generic, every headphone shops stocks them and use them. Chinese version or not, I would much prefer an actually matching stand to go with it.

 

Think SA5000 with the matching stand.

post #280 of 3072
Quote: HiFiGuy528 View Post (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post
 

 

Try the HD800 or T1 on the Meridian Explorer DAC/amp or on your iPhone and let me know if those headphones sound as good as they should.  I'm all ears.

 

I hope I can do a blind ABX test someday and I'm sure many here wouldn't like the results. $200 for an audibly transparent DAC and amplifier is all that is really needed to hear the headphones. If you don't like the sound then you don't like the headphones and you are going to have to modify the signal. Let's not pretend that very expensive equipment is needed to get the "best" because it really isn't. Audible transparency is cheap, it's modification to be more pleasing to the listener that can be very expensive.

 

 
 Do you ever listen to the AKG 812 or how do you come to this conclusion ?

 

It doesn't require an expensive setup to hear the headphones with an audibly transparent reproduction of the signal. With such a setup, you only hear the headphones and the signal. If you don't like the sound then you don't like the headphones as they are "stock". You can introduce equipment to manipulate the signal to create a more pleasing sound but then you aren't purely hearing the headphones. You can also modify yourself by buying silver cables and introducing an expectation bias or if you find them too bright, just keep telling yourself they are "dark" headphones and eventually you'll notice a difference though it may be worth to start believing in some kind of supernatural phenomena if you have trouble believing it.

 

HiFiGuy528 (Click to show)

 

Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post
 

 

"generic stand"?  You do know that it comes with a genuine Omega stand made in Germany right?  Not the Chinese version.


It's a piece of wood that you put headphones on. It may be a well made piece of wood, but I'd rather have the cost of the K812s reduced than a piece of wood.


Edited by TenMoonsNorth - 12/16/13 at 1:15pm
post #281 of 3072
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenMoonsNorth View Post
 

 


It's a piece of wood that you put headphones on. It may be a well made piece of wood, but I'd rather have the cost of the K812s reduced than a piece of wood.

 

I agree. It's an odd marketing decision on several levels. (Not to take anything away from the Omega headphone stand, I own one.)

post #282 of 3072

1. I think we needs a proper comparison between the K812 and the HD800 on high end SS amp like the SPL Phonitor with a pro DAC.

2. The burn in time of the K812 needs to be checked out as well.

3. The AKG cable well known to be cheap and not the best sounding.

post #283 of 3072

As an AKG fan, I want K812 to blow HD800 out of the water, if that's even possible. But I know how excellent HD800 is and that AKG is always "two steps forward, one step back," so I've never had excessive expectations.

 

As a headphones fan, high prices are nowadays more a cause for eye rolling and shrugging than jaw dropping or clenched teeth.

 

The response to Tyll so far has been: K812 is not as good as HD800 at anything, but it excels at low volume. That is a massive concession. We should consider also whether its excellence at low volume is related to what's making it irritating at normal volume.

 

Still and all, I'll wait to hear it myself. Tyll generally likes a warmer sound than I, and I have sometimes strongly disagreed with his preferences. E.g., he doesn't like Grados (except 60i and maybe tape-modded 225i) and he likes B&W.

post #284 of 3072
Quote: Claritas (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

As an AKG fan, I want K812 to blow HD800 out of the water, if that's even possible. But I know how excellent HD800 is and that AKG is always "two steps forward, one step back," so I've never had excessive expectations.

 

As a headphones fan, high prices are nowadays more a cause for eye rolling and shrugging than jaw dropping or clenched teeth.

 

The response to Tyll so far has been: K812 is not as good as HD800 at anything, but it excels at low volume. That is a massive concession. We should consider also whether its excellence at low volume is related to what's making it irritating at normal volume.

 

Still and all, I'll wait to hear it myself. Tyll generally likes a warmer sound than I, and I have sometimes strongly disagreed with his preferences. E.g., he doesn't like Grados (except 60i and maybe tape-modded 225i) and he likes B&W.

 

I think there is something quite amusing about a headphone that sounds better at low volume levels. Everyone knows that Tyll likes less treble but I don't think that makes a difference on a side by side comparison of two headphones that are similar.

 

Quote: Acix (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post
 

1. I think we needs a proper comparison between the K812 and the HD800 on high end SS amp like the SPL Phonitor with a pro DAC.

2. The burn in time of the K812 needs to be checked out as well.

3. The AKG cable well known to be cheap and not the best sounding.

 

If the response still isn't good then you need equipment twice as expensive.

post #285 of 3072

If anything good Tyll can do, is by sending them to somebody else for an review and comparison. Don't get why folks are so obsessed about what ever he will review them or not. He said no, so, done with it, move on.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum