New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K812 Pro - Page 18

post #256 of 2270

I think the K812 can play with the big boys (HD800, T1, D7000, ESP950, etc).  It has the most spacious sound of any AKG hp.  I can say it is at the level of T1 and HD800 when it comes to soundstage and imagining.  Resolution, transparency is also as impressive as the others in this class.  There is the AKG house sound that fans will love.  What I enjoy most about the K812 is its ability to play at its potential without the use of a large $$$$ amp.  A great DAC and decent amp will do very well.  



 



I have noticed what Tyll is saying about the "tizzy" sound on some music, but it isn't enough to bother me.  


Edited by HiFiGuy528 - 12/16/13 at 3:36pm
Reply
post #257 of 2270
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post
 

I'm losing interest by the second given Tyll's impressions/measurements and the fact that I got my LCD-Xs last week and consider them to be THE PERFECT headphones.

 

But the measurement of the Audeze LCD-X is not really good as well (difference between channel left and right) !

 

Anyway, I will get the chance to compare my HD800 with the AKG812 and Audeze LCD-X end of this week :) .


Edited by TheDuke990 - 12/16/13 at 6:58am
post #258 of 2270

IMO,Over-damping system kills those no internal damping  flagships.:confused_face:


Edited by donthuang - 12/16/13 at 7:26am
post #259 of 2270
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post
 

I think the K812 can play with the big boys (HD800, T1, D7000, ESP950, etc).  It has the more spacious sound of any AKG hp.  I can say it is at the level of T1 and HD800 when it comes to soundstage and imagining.  Resolution, transparency is also as impressive as the others in this class.  There is the AKG house sound that fans will love.  What I enjoy most about the K812 is its ability to play at its potential without the use of a large $$$$ amp.  A great DAC and decent amp will do very well.  

 

I do notice what Tyll is saying about the "tizzy"sound on some music, but it isn't enough to bother me.  


You don't need expensive equipment for any of them actually. At this time they are more expensive than the HD800s and yet they are not better. If the HD800s are overpriced then the K812s are even more so. I'm not going to say they are "bad" in terms of sound but that the HD800s do better what many wanted the K812s to do.

post #260 of 2270
Quote:
Originally Posted by donthuang View Post
 

IMO,Over-damping system kills those no internal damping  flagships.:confused_face:

Too much,  yes.  I actually had to take out some of my damping from the T1 because too much made it sound flat and dead,  but none and its a ringing mess. 

post #261 of 2270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens View Post
 

 

I'm no so sure.

 

AKG K812 measurements.

 

AKG K701 Measurements 

 

Transient response is very tizzy on the 812. 

 

I don't think I'll be reviewing them...just not good enough, don't want to bash AKG though.

 

 

Yeah and see, this is one of the issues that pops up with reviews and measurements.  It's already been said their not good enough without a proper review.  It seems measurements comes before the review.  IMO the review should come before the measurements.  It's easy to say the measurements match what you hear if you study the measurements first.  

 

I would say for once, do a review of a headphone.  Then measure them afterwards.  See how that works.

 

Ha ha  I'm just saying...

post #262 of 2270

I ALWAYS listen to the headphones first. Heard the zingy highs right off the bat. Same thing with the T1.

post #263 of 2270
Quote: Tyll Hertsens (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens View Post
 

I ALWAYS listen to the headphones first. Heard the zingy highs right off the bat. Same thing with the T1.

Tyll can I just say that it's disapointing that you won't put out a review of a flagship headphone simply because you didn't like it. Perhaps, I'm not understanding the full situation but the most valuable reviews are the ones who can say negative things and fairly criticise.


Edited by TenMoonsNorth - 12/16/13 at 8:04am
post #264 of 2270
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenMoonsNorth View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens View Post
 

I ALWAYS listen to the headphones first. Heard the zingy highs right off the bat. Same thing with the T1.

Tyll can I just say that it's disapointing that you won't put out a review of a flagship headphone simply because you didn't like it. Perhaps, I'm not understanding the full situation but the most valuable reviews are the ones who can say negative things and fairly criticise.

Absolutely, why not, we need that review.  Pretty please. :biggrin:

 


Edited by Andrew_WOT - 12/16/13 at 11:56am
post #265 of 2270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post
I agree that it's not as resolving as the HD 800--there are very few headphones I've used that are. But the AKG K812 is still a very resolving headphone to my ears. For most of the day, I tend to listen at lower volume levels, and find the K812 one of the rare headphones that can still deliver a lot of resolution at low volume levels. In my experience, some headphones simply don't come into their own until they're pushed a bit louder than I typically like to listen for extended periods, and this certainly isn't one of them.

 

jude,

I full agree what you say about listening at lower volume levels - mostly I hear with lower volume levels too.

The K812 deliver a lot of resolution and music informations at this level.

post #266 of 2270
Maybe if we try asking Tyll nicely, instead of demanding,he'd be willing to post some more detailed impressions, if not a full review.
post #267 of 2270
Thread Starter 

If anything I am unhappy about the K812, it has to be the poor cable, plug and the generic stand but not the sound itself. It is smoother sounding than the HD800 or the T1 but no where near the warmth of something like a TH900 or LCDs. K812 doesn't need to be loud to keep it interesting either.

post #268 of 2270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens View Post
 

I ALWAYS listen to the headphones first. Heard the zingy highs right off the bat. Same thing with the T1.

 

I have no idea why many folks assume those interested in measurements don't listen first (unless, say, you used measurements as a tool to help decide on a purchase you can't hear in-store first).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenMoonsNorth View Post
 

Tyll can I just say that it's disapointing that you won't put out a review of a flagship headphone simply because you didn't like it. Perhaps, I'm not understanding the full situation but the most valuable reviews are the ones who can say negative things and fairly criticise.

 

Sounds like his review was that it was disappointing enough to not be worth a review. I'm sure you could take his past reviews and associated measurements to correlate approximately what his review for the K812 would be like.


Edited by hans030390 - 12/16/13 at 10:12am
post #269 of 2270
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWahl View Post
 

Too much,  yes.  I actually had to take out some of my damping from the T1 because too much made it sound flat and dead,  but none and its a ringing mess.

Use the Ray Samuels Darkstar or the Decware CSP2 amps (i.e., one darker-sounding as the name implies; the other mellow sounding due to tubes) and it will no longer be a ringing mess.

post #270 of 2270

I say the hobby needs more negative reviews from popular opinions.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum