or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K812 Pro - Page 163

post #2431 of 4053

I was told the K3003 leaks more than the IE800. Is this true or not really?

 

And also the IE800 is $400 cheaper where I live right now. The shop I'm going to has both for audition with the SE846, so I'll compare them before making a final decision. But yeah since I love the K812 so much... I might be swayed by the K3003

post #2432 of 4053
can't answer the question about sound leakage but i had fit problems with the ie800 which might've affected the sound. the k3003 was the standout earphone for me.
post #2433 of 4053
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post

Plus, the driver size doesn't really matter when it comes to sound. Driver size really only matters if you are a bass head. Drivers over 50mm seem to hold off on distortion a lot better than smaller drivers... But, these are audiophile headphones meant to be listened to at normal volumes. It doesn't matter at all.

 

I've a pair of Sennheiser Unipolar with 100 mm drivers - they definitely give a soundstage different from the norm.

post #2434 of 4053
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

I've a pair of Sennheiser Unipolar with 100 mm drivers - they definitely give a soundstage different from the norm.
if the headphones are designed correctly, they shouldn't need that big of drivers.
post #2435 of 4053
I'm curious whether anyone has tried driving these via the Vali? I'm wondering whether the phones would pick up noise from the tubes
post #2436 of 4053

Couple of words about metal music + AKG K812 PRO.
(Summary on impressions on metal + 37 cans are here http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution)

 

Headphones remind searchlight device in the operating room, the bright light floods every nook and cranny of the object under consideration. And the object is pushed straight to the one's nose and even if you do not want, you can see every minor feature of records and every single fault. So, the first thing you notice - headphones are extremely detailed, clynical and analytical. Crisp attack, very strict decay with no artificial reverberation (somewhere it might be good, but might be somewhere and not) . Sennheisers 800 are not less detailed, but due to its vast soundstage 800 do not push detail so straightforward to your eyes.
Headphones have a fairly aggressive highs, I suspect that for many, brightness could be excessive, for me it is generally okay (nevertheless, even HE-6 and Signature Pro are somewhat softer compared to K812) . Mids are good - smooth, clean and delicious. Bass - ample enough for heavy genres, with a good extension, sub-bass is present. Soundstage is not a huge one, due to the high resolution imaging is really great. The general character of cans - cool, perhaps even sterile .
Practically all the metal music subgenres (except Doom) are technically superb, "Good" rating instead of "The Best" was prescribed on the basis of sheer taste preferences rather than objective performance.

Let's look at the impressions on subgenres:
Doom: For adequate Doom bass reproduction 812 bass just is not big and concentrated enough, accent on highs is not really relevant on Doom.
Progressive: Perhaps the very best interpretation of Progressive I listened up to date. The balance is just ideal for the genre - tight bass under strict control, smooth mids, slightly cold sound, not too wide soundstage, extreme detail level - looks like great feature on Progressive metal.
Symphonic: Performance is so impressive (soundstage wide enough, bass well measured, treble crisp and tasty, details level is stellar), so that is not good. Indeed it is impossible to listen to imperfect records now. And if you can not listen to Nightwish, it's time to think again about "Impressive performance".
Power: Perfect interpretation, if not the best. Enough of air and speed. Lacks a soul a little. Atmosphere of interpretation recalls reading Lord of the Rings in the operating room. Much less technically perfect, but much warmer treatment of Grado RS1i and Denon D7000 for me closer to the content of the genre.
Black: Inhuman resolution allows each thread to unravel in the densest and most imperfect recordings. Drive and power do not let to lose interest for music. In terms of overall performance - a draw with LCD-2.
Death: I do not fully understand what happened, but here searchlight feature fails and LCD-2 seems more focused (not to mention that more tasty).
Industrial: Onсe more naturally occupied niche. Temperature - subzero, technological and playful presentes sub-bass, crisp attack, no reverberation

 

812 vs T1. Compared to  812, T1 has recessed middle and grainy highs, bass is not too punchy. Nothing to talk about, when you switch fast from 812 to T1.
812 vs HE-6. HE-6 soundstage is slightly wider, HE-6 are a bit more laid-back, 812 are more forward. HE-6 have a somewhat drier sound, 812 are a tad warmer, juicier. 812 squeezes every drop from Tesla-generated bass, but Panzer-powerful yet structured and detailed bass of HE-6 is obviously better on metal. Subjectively, mids at 812 are a bit forward too (not a tonal balance problem, just part of sound signature). HE-6 play more comfortable and 812 with maniacal precision renders the attack and do not pull reverberation .

 

As a result, I really, really like these cans. Is it possible to listen to music through AKG K812? The question is open for me... Headphones were borrowed for a couple of weeks, maybe a little later I will buy them to find the answer.

post #2437 of 4053
Quote:

Originally Posted by levap View Post

 

Symphonic: Performance is so impressive (soundstage wide enough, bass well measured, treble crisp and tasty, details level is stellar), so that is not good. Indeed it is impossible to listen to imperfect records now. And if you can not listen to Nightwish, it's time to think again about "Impressive performance".

 

 So, you blaming high-end headphones for not portraying right an band which music is geared towards kids with loudness 'mastering' for iPod?

post #2438 of 4053

just received my k812 and listened a bit on my dx90. nothing is burnt in and i'm saving assessment for down the road, and also when i'm home and can go back and forth with my hd700.  

 

in the meantime, if anyone is waiting on price may i suggest an open-box from RAZORDOG, either via ebay or at their own site.  significantly below list and condition can't be beat.

post #2439 of 4053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexon View Post
 

 

 So, you blaming high-end headphones for not portraying right an band which music is geared towards kids with loudness 'mastering' for iPod?

That's my "couple of words about metal music + AKG K812 PRO". And objective high performance does not mean subjective high performance on a specific genre. My message is - "If you want to listen imperfect records on these cans - beware", because the term "Impressive performance" can be misleading in this case.

post #2440 of 4053
Quote:
Originally Posted by levap View Post

That's my "couple of words about metal music + AKG K812 PRO". And objective high performance does not mean subjective high performance on a specific genre. My message is - "If you want to listen imperfect records on these cans - beware", because the term "Impressive performance" can be misleading in this case.
I say it has impressive performance if it can reveal Schiitty mastering... Is that not very impressive? It may not sound the greatest, but it has impressive performance with how much detail it brings... I say it had very impressive performance on that poorly recorded metal rock song. My end goal is to find headphones that give me exactly what was recorded. I think these will do nicely when I get some cash. (no, I'm not forking over 5000$ for a stax. That's just a ridiculous price imo... Even for how good people say they are.)
post #2441 of 4053
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post


I say it has impressive performance if it can reveal Schiitty mastering... Is that not very impressive? It may not sound the greatest, but it has impressive performance with how much detail it brings... I say it had very impressive performance on that poorly recorded metal rock song. My end goal is to find headphones that give me exactly what was recorded. I think these will do nicely when I get some cash. (no, I'm not forking over 5000$ for a stax. That's just a ridiculous price imo... Even for how good people say they are.)

What do you exactly mean by phrase "My end goal is to find headphones that give me exactly what was recorded"? )) If you're looking for ultimately detailed device - 812 are very close to the destination. If you are trying to reveal emotions, concealed in a music, for an inperfect record you have to look something else. Metal music is full of ****ty records of really interesting music. And it's really interesting to find the balance (or extreme points) of "analytical" and "musical" performance.

post #2442 of 4053
Quote:
Originally Posted by levap View Post

What do you exactly mean by phrase "My end goal is to find headphones that give me exactly what was recorded"? )) If you're looking for ultimately detailed device - 812 are very close to the destination. If you are trying to reveal emotions, concealed in a music, for an inperfect record you have to look something else. Metal music is full of ****ty records of really interesting music. And it's really interesting to find the balance (or extreme points) of "analytical" and "musical" performance.
is there a difference between musical and analytical? I say the most musical headphones are the most detailed and ruthless ones. If it sounds exactly like a live performance, then I say... Great!
post #2443 of 4053
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post


is there a difference between musical and analytical? I say the most musical headphones are the most detailed and ruthless ones. If it sounds exactly like a live performance, then I say... Great!

Are you really sure, that "analytical" = "natural", that "most detailed" really sounds like live performance? Did you ever seen pictures with extreme "sharpness" (for example)?

post #2444 of 4053
Just tried the K812 Pro's for the first time, and I was absolutely... Floored with the performance. I have no clue why this phone is getting such negative reviews/impressions, they're quite near perfect for me, I can easily see myself picking up a pair down the road. I plugged the pair into my Pan Am + Key combo, and boy did these babies sing! Smooth, clear, detailed treble, a tight and responsive mid bass kick, rumbling sub bass and lush mids. Nothing like the K701 or the HD800 (which I personally detest.) Perhaps the K812 just needs some tube-y love, solid state just doesn't seem to mesh well the 812 Pro.
post #2445 of 4053

I agree, just got mine in today and spent about 3 hours listening to it from just the GEEK OUT 450. No fatigue nor harshness whatsoever. Hell, it sounds great out of just a simple Sony F886. I'm thinking of selling off some stuff to acquire a better source

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum